I posted this when the NIL and Transfer Portals

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
first came about. I said both would be disasters for MSU in the short term and would destroy college athletics in the long term. I believe that even more strongly now. THE thing that sets college athletics apart from pro athletics in the US is the shared sense of community. The majority of college athletes have always played at their local schools. Even if that's not the case you had the shared sense of community, if you were an alumnus, of gone to school in the most formative years of your life in the same place. Most non athletes are not going to transfer even now. That shared sense of community has been destroyed in about two years. It will take a while to really take effect, but that loss of community, that loss of shared sense of loyalty to what MADE you, is going to destroy college athletics. For me it's pretty much there. I'm still watching MSU athletics, but PAYING money to do so.....not something I'm that interested in anymore. I'm even less interested in taking time out of my down time to engage in the chore that is going to a game. The NCAA caved in to greed, both their own and the athletes. It's going the way of boxing. I've seen this rodeo before.

Last edited:

Air Raid 2.0

Nov 4, 2022
first came about. I said both would be disasters for MSU in the short term and would destroy college athletics in the long term. I believe that even more strongly now. THE thing that sets college athletics apart from pro athletics in the US is the shared sense of community. The majority of college athletes have always played at their local schools. Even if that's not the case you had the shared sense of community, if you were an alumnus, of gone to school in the most formative years of your life in the same place. Most non athletes are not going to transfer even now. That shared sense of community has been destroyed in about two years. It will take a while to really take effect, but that loss of community, that loss of shared sense of loyalty to what MADE you, is going to destroy college athletics. For me it's pretty much there. I'm still watching MSU athletics, but PAYING money to do so.....not something I'm that interested in anymore. I'm even less interested in taking time out of my down time to engage in the chore that is going to a game. The NCAA caved in to greed, both their own and the athletes. It's going the way of boxing. I've seen this rodeo before.
I agree 100%

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The current players are going to benefit financially in the short term, but the future will be worse for most potential players. This is Icarus getting to close to the sun. I don’t blame the players. If I was 20 years old, I would want to get all the money I could. The top players will be fine, but the vast majority of college athletes are going to be worse off. And most of it is being driven by non-players.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. It didn't take a genius to see where the portal, free transfers, and NIL were heading. Surprisingly, most people just buried their head in the sand and ignored it. But it's going to get worse, not better, going forward.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yeah. It didn't take a genius to see where the portal, free transfers, and NIL were heading. Surprisingly, most people just buried their head in the sand and ignored it. But it's going to get worse, not better, going forward.
Personally, we all knew players were getting paid under the table for years (Bear Bryant). The transfers were happening but the 1 year suspension kept it in check for the most part. These kids think they are going to the NFL. Sadly, only 3% will make it so for the majority this is their chance to make some hay while the sun shines. I'm over it now. Things are never as bad or as good as they seem. We are in a unique position. We play in the SEC and every player just like every coach longs to play in the toughest league in the country. That means for every player that leaves we have a shot at some really excellent replacements. Kiffen and Saban already use the system for this reason. Most of their players entering the portal didn't measure up or were dissatisfied with not starting. They will go after the cream in the portal. We can do the same.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Hopefully it will get so bad administrator will have their eyes opened and do something about it. It's going to get really bad really fast.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
This is the coldest take possible. By that I mean it’s patently obvious to anyone with eyeballs and half a brain that what you wrote here is true. It’s a shame. College football was awesome while it lasted. I will miss it when it’s gone.

John Barton.sixpack

Apr 30, 2016
I naively thought that nothing could ever dampen my 60-year devotion to college sports and love for Mississippi State athletics. But the unregulated NIL, out-of-control transfer portal, outlandish coaches' salaries, sky-rocketing cost to attend games, NCAA paralysis, poor officiating, and now the lack of loyalty by players has done the trick. As many of you have noted, all the things that have made college sports preferable to pro sports are being eviscerated in real time right before our eyes. I am remorsefully getting off the train now, at least for football and basketball. Unregulated, unbalanced semipro sports are of no interest to me. I'll hold out some circumspect hope for baseball for now, praying that it won't be destroyed also.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login