I said early on I liked this team....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I doubt we go far, but we could be a real tough matchup for some #6 or so seed.
Exactly. I'd add that most teams will have to hit a BUNCH of threes to beat us. There are a few out there that can beat us at our own game, but we are much more likely to see a hot shooting team.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
It’s interesting. I always thought Howland underachieved with the talent he had. Jans has come in and flipped the script. He has overachieved with a team that has poor guard play and can’t shoot. He’s done an amazing job with this team.
Absolutely. Howland achieved the absolute least with what he had. He robbed us blind, stole 7 mill and rode off into the sunset.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s interesting. I always thought Howland underachieved with the talent he had. Jans has come in and flipped the script. He has overachieved with a team that has poor guard play and can’t shoot. He’s done an amazing job with this team.
When you compare this roster to every single one that Howland had while at State, it's honestly mind boggling that BH had just a single one and done in 6 years while Jans punched his ticket in his first year.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Absolutely. Howland achieved the absolute least with what he had. He robbed us blind, stole 7 mill and rode off into the sunset.
No he didn't. He got us up off the floor. The teams under Ray were some of the absolute worst power college basketball teams I have ever seen. He didn't get us to where we wanted to be, but he did accomplish quite a bit.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
No he didn't. He got us up off the floor. The teams under Ray were some of the absolute worst power college basketball teams I have ever seen. He didn't get us to where we wanted to be, but he did accomplish quite a bit.
Both things are true. He got us out of the Rick Ray dark times but still underachieved almost every year.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm really interested to see what will happen tomorrow. We gave Bama two pretty good games in the regular season. I'd say the two most likely scenarios are 1) We relax and the effort drops. We get boat raced. 2) The pressure is off and we let it all hang out without worry. We come close or maybe even better.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He really has. Tolu is a good talent and we have some good pieces, but the inability to shoot is just a massive hole in this team. Give this team one legit outside shooter and there are a good number of coaches that could make this team dangerous. Not sure how many coaches could make the team as it exists dangerous.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He really has. Tolu is a good talent and we have some good pieces, but the inability to shoot is just a massive hole in this team. Give this team one legit outside shooter and there are a good number of coaches that could make this team dangerous. Not sure how many coaches could make the team as it exists dangerous.
Richard Williams could have done it. This is his kind of team.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I just can't figure out Eric Reed. He shot 36% from 3 last year and 46% the year before. I understand he played in a weaker conference, but his drop off has been epic this year.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
All we are missing is a #2 that can hit the 3 consistently. We have Shaq and Davis 1 and 2. Swap Davis out with a legit outside threat and this team would be STOUT. Would open up so many more opportunities for everyone offensively.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Getting back to even resembling a power conference basketball team was quite the job. Ray's teams were BAD. Howland's NAME gave us at least a modicum of respectability and stability that we quite frankly did not have at the time. He gave us a base to work with.
Howland did get us off the matt because he was tied into the networks that allowed him to recruit high quality talent PLUS he was here when we had a bunch of high end legacies coming out of HS. But he still sucked as a floor coach and developer of talent. He was a really good, high character man though and I had a lot of respect for him in that area.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Howland did get us off the matt because he was tied into the networks that allowed him to recruit high quality talent PLUS he was here when we had a bunch of high end legacies coming out of HS. But he still sucked as a floor coach and developer of talent. He was a really good, high character man though and I had a lot of respect for him in that area.
The experts on this board will argue you to death, but you hit the nail right on the head. He did OK recruiting he just was not a floor coach at all. We had a couple of really talented players like Q Witherspoon, but they were not coached well at all when you compare them to what this team has accomplished this season as a group.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
He didn’t rob us. Hell we kept him to damn long. Should of been fired several years prior. That’s all on Cohen… that POS strikes again.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm really interested to see what will happen tomorrow. We gave Bama two pretty good games in the regular season. I'd say the two most likely scenarios are 1) We relax and the effort drops. We get boat raced. 2) The pressure is off and we let it all hang out without worry. We come close or maybe even better.
Looks like #1 so far.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
They are what they are. They can't shoot the ball but they play elite defense with elite effort. They are also elite on the boards. If that effort stays elite we could make a little noise. If you take them at face value, this has been an outstanding year.
Agree. I think coach Jans has got the max out of the players.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Getting back to even resembling a power conference basketball team was quite the job. Ray's teams were BAD. Howland's NAME gave us at least a modicum of respectability and stability that we quite frankly did not have at the time. He gave us a base to work with.
You walked into Ben’s office and he has those 3 National Finalist trophies and you can get star struck real easy.

Reactions: paindonthurt

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
No, that one validated our parking slip as an elite baseball program. I swear we have the dumbest fans on the planet.
MORE LIKE FOUND A LOTTERY TICKET ON THE FLOOR OF A BUS

I SWEAR WE HAVE SOME OF THE MOST GRAPE KOOL AID DRINKING FANS IN THE UNIVERSE

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
MORE LIKE FOUND A LOTTERY TICKET ON THE FLOOR OF A BUS

I SWEAR WE HAVE SOME OF THE MOST GRAPE KOOL AID DRINKING FANS IN THE UNIVERSE
Didn't lemonis win 50+ games in his first 3 seasons?

Finding a winning lottery ticket on the floor would have been if Ron polk had won it with the team he had his second time around here in 2007.

that team was a joke and the program had been becoming joke for a couple of seasons. He just lucked up and the team got hit at the right time.

that's basically college baseball in a nut shell. Get hot at the right time and go on a run, you have to just be a consistent enough program to get into the regionals most years and eventually things will line up and you'll make a run to the CWS, once there it's anybody's tournament at that point.

Lemonis may be a bust, 1 1/4 seasons isn't enough to determine that. If this season continues to be as bad as it has been we may need to part ways. But if they turn it around a bit in SEC play and some of the younger guys are a key piece of that, I think you let him het another year to see what he can do with it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login