I see we added two more games with USM

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
2030 in Hattiesburg and 2031 in Starkville. This is new to the already scheduled games of 2023 in Starkville and 2025 in Hattiesburg.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I’m just not much on playing USM in Hattiesburg in any sport. MSU basically keeps their Athletic programs afloat.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It’s basically two home games just one is more convenient for the South Ms folks. Besides, I like Will Hall and hope he succeeds.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’m just not much on playing USM in Hattiesburg in any sport. MSU basically keeps their Athletic programs afloat.

Which is perfectly fine. Helps the visibility and -- judging by the attendance at The Rock by USM faithful -- this is essentially a MSU home game for all the MSU fans south of I-20

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
On the other hand, with Southern Miss moving to the Sun Belt and ESPN having the contract, no one here will be asking what channel will be it on in Noxapater.

2015– I forget the channel— Fox Southeast? CBS College Sports? with a late start time by central time zone standards?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I used to care, but I don't anymore. May as well keep the money in-state. Arkansas refused to play Arkansas State, and look what that's gotten them - nothing. Whereas Alabama/Auburn do the same to UAB/Troy/USA. It means nothing.

After winning the baseball title, I've really mellowed on all the little 'angles' and short-cuts I wanted MSU football (and other sports) to do, to gain an edge, especially with scheduling. Just doesn't matter if we play USM or Troy, they will both treat it like their Super Bowl.

Short of going to the playoff, not real sure much of anything truly moves the needle in the long term. Lot of ebb and flow, but that playoff appearance grants you some staying power. I'm not saying to maximize, I'm just saying that with us playing an SEC schedule already, whether or not we play USM or Memphis/Troy/Tulane/La Tech just doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I really doubt that 2 home games 5 years apart will make any real difference for USM. But so what if it did? What this is is a pretty cheap way for Cohen to fill out a football schedule with 2 games we should win pretty easily. He’s doing a good job of managing the football schedule.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I like playing State in all sports. In-state matchups usually feel a little more special than other non-conference matchups, plus I get to go to the games with my State buddies.

I also really like keeping all the money in Mississippi. Maybe the State/USM game should be branded as the Party in the ‘Sip.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I like playing State in all sports. In-state matchups usually feel a little more special than other non-conference matchups, plus I get to go to the games with my State buddies.

I also really like keeping all the money in Mississippi. Maybe the State/USM game should be branded as the Party in the ‘Sip.
Anytime USM plays us it is their Super Bowl. Why would MSU want to support Hattiesburg businesses instead of Starkville businesses.Why doesn’t Ole Miss play USM in Football? I would rather play Coach Prime.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I’ll take this piece by piece. Anytime USM plays State it’s our Super Bowl? I mean, I guess there are some fans that feel that way. I don’t think the majority shares the sentiment. I think it’s kinda cool to play an in-state SEC West program, especially when there are bound to be familial and friendly connections between the fan bases.

“Why would MSU want to support Hattiesburg businesses instead of Starkville businesses?” They wouldn’t, I would hope? What the hell does this even mean?

“Why doesn’t Ole Miss play USM in football?” I don’t know, ask them?

You’d rather play Coach Prime? Well that’s intriguing I suppose. Although the analysis that you used applies more to JSU than it does to USM. You really want to play an FCS team that’s loaded up on P5 transfers?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Don’t be so paranoid. It’s their biggest non conference game, but it hasn’t been their Super Bowl since the 1980s.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Anytime USM plays us it is their Super Bowl. Why would MSU want to support Hattiesburg businesses instead of Starkville businesses.Why doesn’t Ole Miss play USM in Football? I would rather play Coach Prime.
Better than Troy, Mobile, Memphis, NOLA, Birmingham, Ruston, etc. And last I checked, Hattiesburg is in the state of Mississippi. A lot of MSU people live there.

So many MSU fans have tunnel vision. Can’t see anything beyond the surface.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe the State/USM game should be branded as the Party in the ‘Sip.

Nobody from State’s side is going to give it that kind of legitimacy. It’s an assumed FBS win that doesn’t break the travel or payoff budget. That’s all it is.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Correct.

Currently Southern Miss’s Super Bowl has been the CUSA Championship Game for the past several seasons & that will change to the Sun Belt Championship Game when they become official members.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think we need a little incentive to go play there. For instance a guarantee of say half the baseball tickets in their place the next time we play there. Seing how the last 2x we played there we got few if any it only seems fair since half or more of the football tickets sold will be our fans. Otherwise 17 them

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nobody from State’s side is going to give it that kind of legitimacy. It’s an assumed FBS win that doesn’t break the travel or payoff budget. That’s all it is.
No matter how true or untrue this is, this is the kind of things that make certain fanbases hate others. I really wish MSU fans wouldn't treat others that way. And yeah, it's likely true in this case, at least for about 10 years. But it's funny how many of you weren't around when they were on top. They were Florida State except their state didn't boom in population like FSU's did.

I see no reason for the subtle, passive aggressive or outright aggressive attitude toward them or any smaller program. We don't like it when Auburn or whoever does it to us, why continue the trend?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
No matter how true or untrue this is, this is the kind of things that make certain fanbases hate others. I really wish MSU fans wouldn't treat others that way. And yeah, it's likely true in this case, at least for about 10 years. But it's funny how many of you weren't around when they were on top. They were Florida State except their state didn't boom in population like FSU's did.

I see no reason for the subtle, passive aggressive or outright aggressive attitude toward them or any smaller program. We don't like it when Auburn or whoever does it to us, why continue the trend?

Well...MSU *is* in the SEC....and we in the SEC hate better than any other conference because "it just means more"****

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I’ll take this piece by piece. Anytime USM plays State it’s our Super Bowl? I mean, I guess there are some fans that feel that way. I don’t think the majority shares the sentiment. I think it’s kinda cool to play an in-state SEC West program, especially when there are bound to be familial and friendly connections between the fan bases.

“Why would MSU want to support Hattiesburg businesses instead of Starkville businesses?” They wouldn’t, I would hope? What the hell does this even mean?

“Why doesn’t Ole Miss play USM in football?” I don’t know, ask them?

You’d rather play Coach Prime? Well that’s intriguing I suppose. Although the analysis that you used applies more to JSU than it does to USM. You really want to play an FCS team that’s loaded up on P5 transfers?

I'll take this one. Because they are scared shitless of being a laughing stock if they were to lose. It still pisses me off that we continued playing USM for about 8 years I think after OM chickened out. And that was back when USM still had some pretty good teams.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Don’t be so paranoid. It’s their biggest non conference game, but it hasn’t been their Super Bowl since the 1980s.

Uh, well the 1980's was the last decade we played them on a regular basis, so.... And throughout that decade and the one before, it was the biggest game on their schedule every year. They got up to play us more than anybody else. We always had much bigger fish to fry.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I went to Southern Miss. I’ll say whatever the 17 I want about them.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
No SEC school, even Vanderbilt, should play a home and home with Southern Miss, Memphis, La Tech.… maybe a 2 for 1 at the most. What good does MSU get out of it? I would rather go play a one off at Notre Dame or USC… if MSU wants a game for the few non LSU fans on the coast, play a game in New Orleans. Road games for SEC schools should be for fan experience.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No SEC school, even Vanderbilt, should play a home and home with Southern Miss, Memphis, La Tech.… maybe a 2 for 1 at the most. What good does MSU get out of it? I would rather go play a one off at Notre Dame or USC… if MSU wants a game for the few non LSU fans on the coast, play a game in New Orleans. Road games for SEC schools should be for fan experience.
Ah, so now you go from never playing them at their field, to doing a 2-1 (which is what we always do anyway).

Why would we export money to New Orleans when we can we do it cheaper in Hattiesburg AND keep the money in-state (which will indirect and sometimes directly benefit MSU)?

And as far as playing Notre Dame or USC, why can't we do that too? We have to play 1 P5 OOC every year, so the other 3 OOC games are going to be smaller teams, and 1 of them will usually be FCS. So 2 spots are going to get taken up by teams like USM/Memphis/Tulane/etc.

Stop being so fatalistic. You don't even know what you're comparing.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Ah, so now you go from never playing them at their field, to doing a 2-1 (which is what we always do anyway).

Why would we export money to New Orleans when we can we do it cheaper in Hattiesburg AND keep the money in-state (which will indirect and sometimes directly benefit MSU)?

And as far as playing Notre Dame or USC, why can't we do that too? We have to play 1 P5 OOC every year, so the other 3 OOC games are going to be smaller teams, and 1 of them will usually be FCS. So 2 spots are going to get taken up by teams like USM/Memphis/Tulane/etc.

Stop being so fatalistic. You don't even know what you're comparing.[/QUOTE

Obviously you long for the Mississippi State Glory years of the Mid 80’s…Enjoy your trip to Hardy Street High… Be Safe!

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Same excuse they don't play JSU or ASU. They think their **** don't stink. One bad season and thier attendance will drop off. They are stupid to not play USM at home. They would win. It would shut USM up. It would show Ole Miss isn't chicken **** like USM fans claims they are. Hell Troy ad Tulsa will come near beating them than USM. I went and watch USM play N. Texas in Hattiesburg last season. One of the better games they played but still loss. I was invited down along with a few other veterans to be honor.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login