I think a win today cements Lemonis’ return next year

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Obviously, we could lose 15 straight or something, but the season is trending well above expectations. A win today and you should start seeing projections with a Starkville regional.

The team has clearly improved. I can’t immediately think of an aspect in 2024 which isn’t better than the previous two seasons. And, this is with our Friday night starter on the shelf.

I think this team is pretty good. We might as well start to enjoy it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
No, but it’s a huge step in that direction. And this weekend is probably one of our 3-4 toughest series in conference play. I think at Arkansas is a clear number one and this weekend is up there with trips to Vandy and Florida.

Even if you lose today, if you were to win the Florida series you’re in a really nice spot with the following three weekends being against teams with a 2-10 combined SEC record, and two of those series are at home.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Still very early in the conference schedule, but I hear you. Two series wins against Top 10 teams to start out the SEC slate would be impressive, and I hate using the "if" word, but it's incredible to think that we're a couple plays away from being 5-0 right now. I don't know what the rest of the season has in store for us, but there's reason for optimism.

To make sure that I don't start getting too positive, how unbelievably awful was Foxhall last year? Seriously, how does one coach manage to bring out the absolute worst in so many players on our roster? I wish the guy the best, but this pitching turnaround with virtually the exact same staff is just about reason for Foxhall to never touch a D1 team again

Reactions: Anon1669338224

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Even our worst teams have played well for 2 week stretches. This weekend cements nothing

Reactions: patdog

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Long way to go. There wasn't a point in getting worked up two weeks ago over bad performances in the non - conference. Two good weeks of performances don't necessarily mean this team has turned a corner. A lot of baseball to still be played. I'm as excited as anyone over last night and last weekend. There's no doubt they are trending in the right direction currently. Still gotta play 24 more conference games after today.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I don't think he can have 3-straight average to poor years and remain as coach.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
It’s going to be a roller coaster. .500 would be a huge improvement but disappointing if you lose perspective and start thinking .750.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
14 SEC wins is probably the magic number to get into the NCAA and guarantee that Lemonis returns. 4-2 vs LSU & @ ATM would be a huge step toward getting to 14. Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss, Auburn, & Bama series combined should be at a split.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Still very early in the conference schedule, but I hear you. Two series wins against Top 10 teams to start out the SEC slate would be impressive, and I hate using the "if" word, but it's incredible to think that we're a couple plays away from being 5-0 right now. I don't know what the rest of the season has in store for us, but there's reason for optimism.

To make sure that I don't start getting too positive, how unbelievably awful was Foxhall last year? Seriously, how does one coach manage to bring out the absolute worst in so many players on our roster? I wish the guy the best, but this pitching turnaround with virtually the exact same staff is just about reason for Foxhall to never touch a D1 team again
Sometimes I wonder if Foxhall had issues away from the game. The common complaint was that he’d become too focused on Trackman data and wasn’t actually spending hands on time with the staff. Seems like he would have been able to diagnose and adjust though.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We look better. I hope that's what consistently happens the rest of the season

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The batters obviously need to adjust. Because we all know Morris Hodges is not going to adjust his strike zone. He has always given the pitcher 4 inches inside on RH. It ain't changing. They can fall down in the dirt throwing a temper tantrum and squalling like a titty baby but they have to adjust.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
My thought in any sport has always been judge the body of work at the end allowing everyone involved to focus on being in the moment during the season. Unless it is cratering.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
My thought in any sport has always been judge the body of work at the end allowing everyone involved to focus on being in the moment during the season. Unless it is cratering.
Right now, after two losing seasons, I would just be happy if we were headed in the right direction, where I can feel like we have a chance every game, whether we win or not. Last season, I did not feel like we stood a chance after they threw the first pitch.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Obviously, we could lose 15 straight or something, but the season is trending well above expectations. A win today and you should start seeing projections with a Starkville regional.

The team has clearly improved. I can’t immediately think of an aspect in 2024 which isn’t better than the previous two seasons. And, this is with our Friday night starter on the shelf.

I think this team is pretty good. We might as well start to enjoy it.
I’d be interested to know what assurances the new pitching coach got. He’s a high end coach, and maybe we just got lucky that scar fell apart last year and they made a change.

I can’t imagine how it’s not postseason or bust for bucket boy this season. And heaven help him if he is a 4 seed and goes 2 and Q somewhere.

Letting Foxhall become such a liability is 100% on him. It was obvious the year after the natty, and nothing changed.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’d be interested to know what assurances the new pitching coach got. He’s a high end coach, and maybe we just got lucky that scar fell apart last year and they made a change.
We hired him away. They didn’t make the change. Not real sure what this means….South Carolina was a regional team last year after not making it in 2022.
I can’t imagine how it’s not postseason or bust for bucket boy this season. And heaven help him if he is a 4 seed and goes 2 and Q somewhere.
Definitely is postseason or bust…both this year and next year most likely. But, an SEC team will never be a 4-seed.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We hired him away. They didn’t make the change. Not real sure what this means….South Carolina was a regional team last year after not making it in 2022.

Definitely is postseason or bust…both this year and next year most likely. But, an SEC team will never be a 4-seed.
My bad, I’d heard that they were gonna part ways with their coach last season and figured they had. Still, to grab him was a coup, especially to leave for a possibly lame duck, sitting head coach. I’d heard it was a bad situation there, so maybe it was worth it.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
luke skywalker film GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login