I think I would start Pico against St Johns

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're in an elimination game every game now. You throw whoever gives you the best chance to win that next game. Worry about the game in front of you.
You’re playing for 2nd place with that strategy. You’re not playing to win the regional. Pitch Auger or Pico vs St John’s and you’re conceding to UVA.

Reactions: Bhamdawg1725

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You’re playing for 2nd place with that strategy. You’re not playing to win the regional. Pitch Auger or Pico vs St John’s and you’re conceding to UVA.

We're almost certainly playing for 2nd anyway. But we need to at least get the opportunity to win two vs VA.

If you'd be okay losing to St. John's with Auger never pitching another game this season after that Ole Miss game he had, that's you're prerogative. I want Auger with the season on the line.

We almost certainly lost the regional not hitting last night. If we're going to beat Virginia two games (very unlikely) we have to get to those games and we have to hit a lot (very unlikely). Depending on pitching won't get it done.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nah, if you don't believe in your team, you burn a good starter here. Teams all around the tourney held back their ace first game. They believed they could win anyway.

Reactions: 8dog and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
We're almost certainly playing for 2nd anyway. But we need to at least get the opportunity to win two vs VA.

If you'd be okay losing to St. John's with Auger never pitching another game this season after that Ole Miss game he had, that's you're prerogative. I want Auger with the season on the line.

We almost certainly lost the regional not hitting last night. If we're going to beat Virginia two games (very unlikely) we have to get to those games and we have to hit a lot (very unlikely). Depending on pitching won't get it done.
Id rather go with Ligon and bullpen vs St John’s. You (and a Lemonis) would rather go with them vs Virginia. I like my chances better than yours. What difference does 2nd vs 3rd place make? This really is a time where if you ain’t first, you’re last.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Why are we getting smart ( Auger ) for an elimination game but had no plan for relieving Loo ?

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I think at the end of the day we all know what needs to happen and that is score some damn runs. This ol **** of two or three runs is not going to get us to the supers. Captain obvious statement here. Besides, you would think St John's would be down to the last few arms in their cupboard and we should be able to destroy them

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think at the end of the day we all know what needs to happen and that is score some damn runs. This ol **** of two or three runs is not going to get us to the supers. Captain obvious statement here. Besides, you would think St John's would be down to the last few arms in their cupboard and we should be able to destroy them
St. John’s was one of the worst 3 seeds in the tournament. I don’t see how they hit even slightly above average pitching today.

this should be a 9-2 type game.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I’m not sure it matters. I don’t see any pitcher we have left beating Virginia and definitely not twice.
This is what I was telling my buddy earlier in the week. If we were gonna win this regional, we had to do it through the winners bracket. We don’t have the pitching depth to do it through the losers bracket.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

If holding Auger back means we are trying to win the tourney then I’m for that. But no coaches ever do bc they would rather not be second guessed than try to win. Its like if we had lost Friday I’m sure Lem would have thrown Loo because “you have to win this one to get to the next one” which is coach speak for “Im
Scared”

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If holding Auger back means we are trying to win the tourney then I’m for that. But no coaches ever do bc they would rather not be second guessed than try to win. Its like if we had lost Friday I’m sure Lem would have thrown Loo because “you have to win this one to get to the next one” which is coach speak for “Im
Scared”

I'll go with the guy with a natty understanding strategy better than you in this situation.

Call me crazy.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'll go with the guy with a natty understanding strategy better than you in this situation.

Call me crazy.
All coaches do it. It’s dumb. But they all do it. No one who understand probability really well would pitch it this way. If you could win $10 million if you beat St. John’s then virginia, how would most regular people pitch it?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
All coaches do it. It’s dumb. But they all do it. No one who understand probability really well would pitch it this way. If you could win $10 million if you beat St. John’s then virginia, how would most regular people pitch it?

Nobody on this board is remotely as familiar with what's going on in that pitching staff than Lemonis. I'll trust he's trying to win the regional, and he's not reading this board.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nobody on this board is remotely as familiar with what's going on in that pitching staff than Lemonis. I'll trust he's trying to win the regional, and he's not reading this board.
Then why disxuss. If the answer to every question is I’ll just trust Lemonis… let’s shut the boards and sports bars down

Reactions: 8dog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Then why disxuss. If the answer to every question is I’ll just trust Lemonis… let’s shut the boards and sports bars down

I question coaching decisions too. I just don't spend the majority of my energy here doing it because I'm sure they have a reason, and it's almost certainly better informed than mine.

There are tons of things to discuss that aren't coach related.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know we started this off hit that pitch, but do we have to have every hitter start with an O-2 count to begin with?

ETA - we had three batters in the first inning go 0 - 2.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is what I was telling my buddy earlier in the week. If we were gonna win this regional, we had to do it through the winners bracket. We don’t have the pitching depth to do it through the losers bracket.
Honestly most don’t though. It’s why you don’t see someone come out of the losers bracket often. Not many teams, especially in the transfer portal age, have a 4th or 5th starter capable of matching up.

Reactions: biodawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login