I think the selection show is today. Will ole miss

hoopsb4baseball

Mar 12, 2022
Make the field? Is it good if they do? My thinking is maybe yes because maybe then they keep Bianco? And show of hands, don’t we all want Bianco to stay as long as possible because now he sucks? Just some thoughts and questions for yall.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
There has been a lot of upsets in conference tournaments so the bubble has shrunk. They keep him if they make it and may keep him if they don't. The only drawback with him staying is that he recruits well and dilutes the talent pool for the coaches who can actually coach and improve players.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I was hammered on here for hoping they keep him. Our posters on here have ptsd for the little run her had against us. He’s a career underachiever who had one very good season in 20+

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I don’t think they’re in, although there was a lot of talk in the SECCG yesterday about “RPI not being everything this year”. So, maybe we get some surprises. If Bianco is out, I would think we’ll be in contact with some of their players about moving across the state.

FYI - D1 has Vandy, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, LSU and Arkansas all #2 seeds, UGA a #3 seed & Florida now hosting. Been a crazy ride for UF baseball the last month.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I don’t think they’re in, although there was a lot of talk in the SECCG yesterday about “RPI not being everything this year”. So, maybe we get some surprises. If Bianco is out, I would think we’ll be in contact with some of their players about moving across the state.

FYI - D1 has Vandy, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, LSU and Arkansas all #2 seeds, UGA a #3 seed & Florida now hosting. Been a crazy ride for UF baseball the last month.

I think the “RPI is not everything” myth was debunked last night when Auburn got a host spot with 16 SEC wins, while Arkansas won 18 SEC games AND won a road series at Auburn and will be on the road for the postseason.

And no, I don’t think Ole Miss is getting in. Or Bama for that matter, I think the SEC just gets 8 in this year.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
RPI can be everything or nothing, depending on what the selection committee wants. It's ridiculous, and way past time to replace the committee with an objective formula (and hopefully a better one than RPI).

Does anyone think there is any reason that LSU (or to be fair, Mississippi State) could have a #6 RPI and winning conference record and still not host?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think the “RPI is not everything” myth was debunked last night when Auburn got a host spot with 16 SEC wins, while Arkansas won 18 SEC games AND won a road series at Auburn and will be on the road for the postseason.

And no, I don’t think Ole Miss is getting in. Or Bama for that matter, I think the SEC just gets 8 in this year.
Dang, I haven't been really paying attention, so I just went and looked at Arkansas' schedule. If they aren't a host, it certainly appears that they got screwed over bigtime. Especially compared to Auburn. I guess Arkansas needed to win more, but if they had won those last two non-conference games against SELA and IL State, would that have made a difference?

Of course, the big thing that many are ignoring is that the SEC in general is very down this year, so it may not matter.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Dang, I haven't been really paying attention, so I just went and looked at Arkansas' schedule. If they aren't a host, it certainly appears that they got screwed over bigtime. Especially compared to Auburn. I guess Arkansas needed to win more, but if they had won those last two non-conference games against SELA and IL State, would that have made a difference?

Of course, the big thing that many are ignoring is that the SEC in general is very down this year, so it may not matter.

Arkansas played an atrocious nonconference SOS. And then ended the year with two straight series losses and 0-2 in Hoover. 18-12 usually gets you a host spot but not always. We did not host in 2014 at 18-12 with two additional wins in Hoover. But we also had like eight nonconference losses against a fairly weak nonconference schedule. That was the year we lost two games each to Holy Cross and UC Santa Barbara.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
As noted above, the league just isn’t good. We have 1 really good team, 12 meh teams and 1 bad team. How Vandy won 14 sec games is beyond me. Their conference numbers are awful. I guess it’s bc they got to play Mizzou**. Outside of TN, no one has a pitching staff that seems SEC caliber

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
As noted above, the league just isn’t good. We have 1 really good team, 12 meh teams and 1 bad team. How Vandy won 14 sec games is beyond me. Their conference numbers are awful. I guess it’s bc they got to play Mizzou**. Outside of TN, no one has a pitching staff that seems SEC caliber

I would agree. I expect Omaha to be light on SEC teams this year.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
He’s had one very good postseason but his 2009 and 2018 teams were very good and he owned us from 2001-2010 and 2013-15. To say he’s underachieved at a program that did nothing in the 40 years prior to him getting there is disrespectful

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He’s had one very good postseason but his 2009 and 2018 teams were very good and he owned us from 2001-2010 and 2013-15. To say he’s underachieved at a program that did nothing in the 40 years prior to him getting there is disrespectful

The issue is he peaked a while ago. His best teams were those in the 2000’s. He would probably be gone already if not for the one Omaha trip in ‘14.

He’s very good regular season coach that struggles mightily in the postseason.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think his 18 and 19 teams were as good as any. The 19 team just landed the worst possible Super opponent/location. And last year he lost one of the top starters in the country at year end He is a top 3 pitching coach in the country

Last edited by a moderator:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I agree that’s he’s peaked as head coach in Oxford. My issue is every time he is brought up by either fan base he is immediately disparaged as someone who has held back that program when in reality he is a classy head coach that has consistently had that program near the top of the league since he took over

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
It also doesn’t help that his 2 biggest rivals have won titles in his tenure there

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
With the talent that he has assembled year in and year out, you’re kidding yourself to say he hasn’t underachieved. When he was at his hottest, early 2000s, he made it to 4 supers in 5 seasons. Since then, a span of 12 seasons, he has made it to 3 supers. He brings in top ten classes regularly. Always has one of the most talented teams in the country, yet he’s only made it to 3 supers in 12 seasons. I don’t give a 17 about history. Do you consider Clemson’s football history when talking about how Dani underachieved? Ole Miss has been one of the premier baseball programs for nearly 20 years. That’s their damn history. 18yr old kids don’t know the old Ole Miss. So, yeah, he’s severely underachieved and I hope he never leaves

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He is gone if he doesn’t win this regional and possibly if they don’t win a super. This just makes it even more messy.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
He underachieves in the postseason while almost always having great regular seasons. Nothing wrong with that at a place like ole miss that never will be a premier program in the country

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yep, he’s stuck with him for at least one more year of mediocrity.
Nope. If they go 0-2 or 1-2 they are essentially in the same spot. If they are dumb enough to base their decision on simply making a regional while on the bubble, then they deserve what they get.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Noticed that the Fighting Camels of Campbell are playing in Knoxville. I’ll bet they don’t have nearly the great time they had in Starkvegas last year. Their coach raved about The Dude and the fans at State. This year’s Tennessee is whole different animal.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’ve seen a lot of putting the cart before the horse on social media with an OM/USM or OM/LSU Super. Yeah, OM got in, but they got a pretty rough draw. Miami won the ACC in a strong year for that league and Arizona is a talented 2 seed with Omaha experience.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I don’t care if they keep him or not. No one knows if they get better or worse by firing him. But I hope they make enough of a run to make the decision that much more difficult and divisive. #OperationChaos

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Gary Henderson says taking a team to a World Series doesn't guarantee you the job, why should a regional?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login