I thought the cluster 17 experiment of Fristoe

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
was over.
I mean we’ve seen this **** show over and over!!
Is Lemonis that stupid or just that hardheaded??

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
He said in an interview Monday that people would not want to hear this but he is going to continue to trot him out there. He said his stuff is just too good.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Who else you want to pitch? We just are out of options. It should be KC Hunt’s game now. But we had to burn him to save a game that we had a 9-1 lead in the 8th inning.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
There’s literally no lead that’s safe for 3 innings of our bullpen. We could be up 12-0 and I’d be nervous.

Upyurs

Nov 24, 2017
Why not criticize the SS and especially that dumba$$ 3rd baseman. Pitcher didn’t do that bad.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm for starting to throw position players on the bump. Why not?

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
He said in an interview Monday that people would not want to hear this but he is going to continue to trot him out there. He said his stuff is just too good.

I heard this interview too. I just think it’s strange that they were able to move on from Cerantola so quickly last year but give Fristoe 2 outings every weekend. I guess it’s because of our limited pitching staff

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
SS should’ve kept it on the infield but that’s a single. If the runner was held at 3B, he scores on the next sac fly. So that play didn’t really matter.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I heard this interview too. I just think it’s strange that they were able to move on from Cerantola so quickly last year but give Fristoe 2 outings every weekend. I guess it’s because of our limited pitching staff

Last year we had other options this year we do not. If you start counting innings it's almost impossible to get through a weekend without using Fristoe.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
But no, we trot him back out there for the 8th today AFTER blowing a 2-0 lead.

I’m a FRISTOE fan. But sheesh.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Why not criticize the SS and especially that dumba$$ 3rd baseman. Pitcher didn’t do that bad.

Well, there was no play and that ended up not affecting a thing. Runs score anyway. It's the hit batter and missile he gave up that was the bigger issue and started it all. Hell, I'd use Tepper before these two and honestly, if Hunt wasn't coming off injury, he'd probably be available too.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I really want him to figure it out for his own sake (and ours), but I don't expect to win SEC Game 3's with 2 runs. Kinda ridiculous. We have 6 outs. They need to go win this.

BassinDawg.sixpack

Jan 23, 2018
I’m 90% sure Alford didn’t field that ball due to avoiding the runner. I can’t rewind to see it again. If so, it definitely affected the outcome of the inning.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I really want him to figure it out for his own sake (and ours), but I don't expect to win SEC Game 3's with 2 runs. Kinda ridiculous. We have 6 outs. They need to go win this.

Little bit of a unique situation in that both teams’ best starters have been their Sunday guys. But outside of Georgia our game three hitting has not been good.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Pico Kohn, hell of a job tonight. Looks like the young kid on Dazed and Confused

Sep 9, 2012
Who else you want to pitch? We just are out of options. It should be KC Hunt’s game now. But we had to burn him to save a game that we had a 9-1 lead in the 8th inning.

This game was lost yesterday when we inexplicably trotted Johnson back out for the eighth inning with a 9-1 lead. We should have given Jack Walker (or someone similar) a clean inning and had him get us the last six outs.

If we have Hunt available for the last three innings today, we probably sweep.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This game was lost yesterday when we inexplicably trotted Johnson back out for the eighth inning with a 9-1 lead. We should have given Jack Walker (or someone similar) a clean inning and had him get us the last six outs.

If we have Hunt available for the last three innings today, we probably sweep.

I’d say it was probably lost from only being able to put up 2 runs on their Game 3 pitching….but to each his own. We certainly pitched it well enough to win tonight.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
Would’ve been easy to throw FRISTOE yesterday at 9-1 and save Hunt for today…

This all day long. Yet some posters think PJ was mentally tough for going back out in the 8th up 9-1 after sitting 30 or 40 minutes. We didn't need PJ to be mentally tough last night. Hell even the announcer was complaining by how PJ had lost 3 mph off his fastball in the 8th inning which is a sign of fatigue. What some people don't understand is if we overuse PJ, then we are running the risk of injuring him or him getting arm fatigue. It was idiotic to bring him back out in the 8th. That would have been the perfect time to run out a Fristoe, Tepper, Tullar, or Waller. Instead we waste that opportunity to run a 103 pitch count PJ back out there and use wild thing Fristoe in a 2-0 game today. Our pitching strategy is mind blowing to me. We needed the sweep in the worst way this weekend and if Hunt is available today, then there's a good chance we would have swept this weekend.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’d say it was probably lost from only being able to put up 2 runs on their Game 3 pitching….but to each his own. We certainly pitched it well enough to win tonight.

“Their Game 3 pitching” is their best starter.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Doesn’t matter who it is. If you only score 2, you’re not gonna win very often.

I don’t disagree with you there, just providing further context. Most teams are down to Johnny Wholestaff by Game 3, we saw Auburn’s two best pitchers today. But yes, 2 runs is very rarely going to win you a game.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
was over.

his mechanics are all out of wack. He’s trying to “guide” the ball…rushing through the back end of his windup…not comfortable.

falls all over the mound when he follows through…it’s fixable .

just hate to see that talent go through this case of the epps.

he will find it again, may not be for another year or in minors but he’s talented dude

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
his mechanics are all out of wack. He’s trying to “guide” the ball…rushing through the back end of his windup…not comfortable.

falls all over the mound when he follows through…it’s fixable .

just hate to see that talent go through this case of the epps.

he will find it again, may not be for another year or in minors but he’s talented dude
Seems like the whole staff's mechanics are out of whack.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Way more players last year due to COVID.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Would’ve been easy to throw FRISTOE yesterday at 9-1 and save Hunt for today…

The only argument I can make is that if Fristoe lives up to his potential, it significantly lifts our ceiling. And him pitching in a 9-1 ball game doesn't stress him in a way that forces him to work through his mental issues. So we are not going to baby him and treat Hunt as our only reliable save out of the bull pen, but force Fristoe to sink or swim in situations that matter.

I don't actually agree with that argument. I think pitching in a 9-1 game is probably a decent place for Fristoe to work on his issues, and we need to focus on making the post season at this point and worry about our ceiling later. I think it was likely just a brain fart by our coaches. They thought they could get through Friday without burning any significant arm other than PJ, and then when we immediately had problems, they panicked and went to Hunt b/c they didn't trust Fristoe. It was a mistake but I get the thought that they are going to save their arms. It's not like it's unusual to need two good arms in relief in the third game of a series.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How many healthy pitchers do we have left, 8?
Good question. Johnson, Smith, Smith, Hunt, Fristoe, Tullar, Tepper, Talley, Kohn, Cheatham, Walker. Then some dudes named Montiel and Wilson that haven't played, assuming a redshirt coming from those guys.

Then maybe Forsythe.

We're going to have to force some guys like Tullar to step up.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
was over.

Is Lemonis trying to the longball. Maybe he knows we don't likely survive a regional without Fristoe figuring it out so he's doing all he can to get to that end.

Difference is this year we don't have cushion like last year. We're not guaranteed to make a regional at this point.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
was over.

No, but our fanbase must not understand that we are already down to the last pitchers that can help. Guys have to step up, including Fristoe or State is not making the post season and may not anyway but I will be rooting for them every step of the way.

It's not the same situation they were in last year with Cerantola whose stuff was/is great and may yet make the majors. There were guys behind him that may not have had better stuff but could help right then.

Apparently, we don't have those this year after all the departures and injuries. There may be a couple that are developing but aren't ready yet. Here is the hard part, either trust our coaches to do it right or drive yourself crazy. You need evidence for the trust side? National Championship - the only one in our history by this staff.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I'm a Fristoe fan too but I'm concerned about when he enters games

But no, we trot him back out there for the 8th today AFTER blowing a 2-0 lead.

I’m a FRISTOE fan. But sheesh.

All of our pitchers have been affected by infield errors. It seems like anytime an error occurs they lose concentration and the other team scores 2 or more runs. Fristoe has the stuff to be great but he struggles trying to throw around batters. He gets ahead 0-2 then throws pitches way outside the strike zone that no sane batter would swing at. I don't know what is going on there. Maybe he tries it during practice and a stray pitch ends up over the plate and he's afraid of that. At any rate, he and the coaching staff are trying to get him into the mix which I agree has to happen. Let's just not do it with a game on the line!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t disagree with you there, just providing further context. Most teams are down to Johnny Wholestaff by Game 3, we saw Auburn’s two best pitchers today. But yes, 2 runs is very rarely going to win you a game.

I get the sentiment, but just because he’s their best starter doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect to chase him in the 6th or 7th as opposed to the 9th inning, and get at least a few innings against their depleted bullpen before they can go to the closer. We didn’t have enough competitive AB’s early in the game, which let them off the hook from having burned a few of their best arms already.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login