I was in Starkville yesterday

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I had someone with me that isn't there as often as I. They commented on not knowing all the "new" stores were on the west end. Like most people that come to a few games, they see the east side, campus and maybe downtown.

I hope with all the growth and refurbishment out west. Some of the next developments will be to refurbish the commercial real estate between Louisville and Jackson St. I see Miskelly finished their store and have that commercial building looking much nicer.

However I guess the priority now is 182 (Ricks area)? Is any new big box or retail planned for hwy 12 and the 82 bypass area?

What could you do with 12/82 or old 182/82 connections to make them more of a "front door" to Starkville?

Also I was reminded too, as I drove and walked campus, The Banner M is alive and well and everywhere. Long live the Banner M.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
As a resident of Starkville I wish they had added a third lane to each side of 12 instead of those damn concrete barriers. It feels like I see just as many wrecks as before which was the supposed reason they were put in with most now looking like either rear end wrecks or somebody getting hit making a u turn at an intersection to go to a store 200' back they can't just turn into any more. I cuss those things every time I go down 12 and have to either turn into a another store's parking or turn on a side street and loop around because I can't make a simple LH turn into a store because they weren't chosen to have a break in the Great Wall of 12 in front of their establishment. Friend of mine was talking to a fireman for the city and he said they just have to jump those barriers all the time because they obviously aren't making that u turn.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Interestingly, I said the same about the barriers, u-turns yesterday. I had to u-turn to get to the ACE hardware. I said then, how the hell do suvs and trucks make this uturn without hitting a curb. Also I imagine there are many accidents from right turns (from other direction).

That needs to be fixed asap.

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
Somewhat related, they’ve been renovating a building downtown at the corner of Lampkin and Lafayette for awhile. Seems I remember reading it was going to be some sort of dept store. Anyone have any info or update?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I haven't been in Starkville since 2010. I had lived there for about 14 years before moving out here. I would love to see how much it has grown. I am sure it is not the same little college town that I left.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I haven't been in Starkville since 2010. I had lived there for about 14 years before moving out here. I would love to see how much it has grown. I am sure it is not the same little college town that I left.
Same here. But i haven’t been back since around 2008. Been to a lot of road and bowl games though. I went back last year and legitimately got lost. I felt like an old man telling my wife to turn down the radio so i could think and try to figure out where i was.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Every time I go back, I'm shocked there are a few more stores west of town past the ol' Muff Doctor. The area between the old armory and the coop has blown up in the past 4-5 years.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Interestingly, I said the same about the barriers, u-turns yesterday. I had to u-turn to get to the ACE hardware. I said then, how the hell do suvs and trucks make this uturn without hitting a curb. Also I imagine there are many accidents from right turns (from other direction).

That needs to be fixed asap.
Isn’t there a traffic light to get in the Ace Hardware parking lot?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's come a long way and a lot of good stuff to come. The Cotton District is growing and we need the restaurants/bars to continue to grow toward campus and make the two almost seamless.

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
The right alliance of investors could make a mint if they could buy the land behind Hardee's between Montgomery, Russell, and spring streets. I think most of the residents there are retired, and it would take a pretty big carrot to move them, but the potential for that land is incredible.

Reactions: dawgflo

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
As a resident of Starkville I wish they had added a third lane to each side of 12 instead of those damn concrete barriers. It feels like I see just as many wrecks as before which was the supposed reason they were put in with most now looking like either rear end wrecks or somebody getting hit making a u turn at an intersection to go to a store 200' back they can't just turn into any more. I cuss those things every time I go down 12 and have to either turn into a another store's parking or turn on a side street and loop around because I can't make a simple LH turn into a store because they weren't chosen to have a break in the Great Wall of 12 in front of their establishment. Friend of mine was talking to a fireman for the city and he said they just have to jump those barriers all the time because they obviously aren't making that u turn.
As a 'most of the time' resident of Starkville I couldn't agree more. I just don't go down 12 or frequent those businesses at all any more, I use Lynn Lane and 182.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The owner of most of the 182 property (especially west of Douglas O'Connor) has no interest in investing in his shanties. You can improve the infrastructure as much as you like, but that's throwing pearls at swine.
I was told that person may be a member of city government, any truth to that?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It’s hard to read these threads equate it to significant growth. There’s still a long way to go for StarkVegas….and MSU

The fundamentals aren’t there yet. Still a depressing Mississippi hamlet surrounded by a massive prairie….at least for now

Reactions: patdog and Dawg84

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s hard to read these threads equate it to significant growth. There’s still a long way to go for StarkVegas….and MSU

The fundamentals aren’t there yet. Still a depressing Mississippi hamlet surrounded by a massive prairie….at least for now
On the other hand, folks here are upset that one of the main drags in Starkville has concrete barriers much like Auburn (S. College for those wondering can be a similar pain in the neck).

Progress: Keeping up with the Cohens. **

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Speaking of Auburn.... have I told y'all, they have a Target in downtown... of that small town..... and Starkville needs that too ? Ha.

Starkville is what it is and is unlikely to ever catch other sec towns as they will grow too. However there is no reason we can't enjoy the growth and be happy about it.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It's come a long way and a lot of good stuff to come. The Cotton District is growing and we need the restaurants/bars to continue to grow toward campus and make the two almost seamless.
Indeed. StaekVegas has come a long way since it was founded in the 19th century. I seem to recall a the early photos of MSU before color was invented*******

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
On the other hand, folks here are upset that one of the main drags in Starkville has concrete barriers much like Auburn (S. College for those wondering can be a similar pain in the neck).

Progress: Keeping up with the Cohens. **
At least Auburn will have a Target*******

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hmmm….sounds like taxes with the absence of a homestead exemption filing.
Not so fast there. I have relatives who paid about $4500 on their home that was valued at around $180k a few years ago before the boom.

Starkville property taxes are astronomical. About 2 to 3 times higher than the rest of the civilized world…with not much to show for it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Not so fast there. I have relatives who paid about $4500 on their home that was valued at around $180k a few years ago before the boom.

Starkville property taxes are astronomical. About 2 to 3 times higher than the rest of the civilized world…with not much to show for it.
I just sold our house in the spring for almost $300K. It did not feel like it was worth $300K to me, I bought it for right under $190K and didn’t do much to improve it. But that’s what people were willing to pay. Heck every offer we got was OVER our original asking price. There is definitely demand in Starkville but not the greatest supply. That said I felt like I made it out OK on property taxes compared to many in town, it was only about $1700 a year after homestead.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login