I was unable to watch last nights game...

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Like I said - 3-3 after the first 6 and I'm ecstatic.
If we can't figure out how to shoot a basketball then 3-3 will be a pipe dream. At one point last night we were 8 of 25 from the free throw line! We were down by 10 at the time.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
A bit of stage fright last night. But we made 9 threes. Davis, Matthews and Smith made 4 shots combined and missed 19.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Stage fright? That is a very kind way to put it.
True. Bama is a top 5 team and played like it last night. They had players hitting key shots all night. We didn't catch them on an off night that's for sure.

I'm wondering what the basketball budget of paying players is now at Bama. It's getting up there with Kentucky.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Like I said - 3-3 after the first 6 and I'm ecstatic.
I agree with this assessment. The short version is that the team made mental mistakes throughout the game, and a deeper and more experienced team took advantage of that. Credit to Bama for managing the ebb and flow of the game.

MSU had them in foul trouble and couldn't take advantage of that by hitting FTs or fouling out their starters.

I don't know how much more to expect from this team in a short span with a new coach. They seem ahead of schedule but still seem to have certain fundamentals on which to work.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The elephant in the room is going to be free throw shooting. We shot twice as many free throws last night but only made 4 more than Alabama. Tolu shot 41% of our free throws. I would imagine that will be the case going forward unless we play a team that isn't' that deep on the bench and can't afford to keep fouling him. I'm not sure what Jans can do since he's our most dominant post player. Davis is going to have to shoot better than 2-11 from the field and 0-5 from 3.

With that said, Alabama is the best team in the league with Missouri probably second best. I still think we can get to 3-3 in this stretch but they have to get better from the line.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Not sure what Tolu has going on but 1-7 from the field and 3-15 from the stripe from him ain’t gone win us many conference games

Reactions: grimedawg1

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Even though it’s been highlighted numerous times over the past few weeks, I still feel like people are underestimating just how inept this roster is offensively. .500 in conference play will be a huge achievement if we can get there
I couldn’t summarize this any better. Howland basically stole from us for 7 years. Sure, he helped us recover from the Rick Ray fiasco (most any coach could have), but he was a lazy recruiter and obviously didn’t seem to work on much during practice based on our half court sets and his refusal to try anything different on D other than a weak man. We don’t have much talent this year (especially in the backcourt), but you can see that they are being coached and trying to run offensive sets. If we hit 65% from the line, it’s a different game. Let’s give Jans time to get his players into the system and see how he does. I really think he knows what he’s doing.

Sep 15, 2009
he's our most dominant post player.
He damn sure didn't show it last night. Dominant post players either make shots, or make free throws. I could not understand why Jans kept putting him back in other than "he is our best player." He was a total liability. Couldn't score from the floor, or from the charity stripe. A walk on in that position last night would have done better, because even if they couldn't score, at least maybe they can make free throws. I'm not saying he's not good, or that he should be benched, but he should have last night. He had a bad night, it wasn't going to change, but because of who he is, he was given all the minutes possible. If a QB throws 6 interceptions in a game, you pull him.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Even though it’s been highlighted numerous times over the past few weeks, I still feel like people are underestimating just how inept this roster is offensively. .500 in conference play will be a huge achievement if we can get there
You are right. I don’t think this team could score 70 against Jackson Prep much less SEC teams.

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
Here’s a real big point to ponder:

IF Tolu particularly, and the team as a whole would make 75% or more of their free throws, State wins it big

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Tolu played fewer minutes last night than his average but if we're benching people for ineptitude then DeShawn Davis needs to sit next to him. 2-11 from the field and 0-5 from three. He played 5 minutes more than Tolu.

We shot 65% from the charity stripe in the second half. It is possible for this team to make free throws as long as Tolu is not involved.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Tolu played fewer minutes last night than his average but if we're benching people for ineptitude then DeShawn Davis needs to sit next to him. 2-11 from the field and 0-5 from three. He played 5 minutes more than Tolu.

We shot 65% from the charity stripe in the second half. It is possible for this team to make free throws as long as Tolu is not involved.
Agree on Davis. He was also a problem last night. Moore needs to take his minutes as he gets healthier. Or, Davis has to play better. I think he had real problems with the physicality last night.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Couple of quotes from Jans on the postgame radio : “one of the most physical games I have ever coached” “if they are going to call games like that, we will have to adjust”

I guess we can practice free throws all the time but it’s hard to practice free throws after ruptured veins and contusions.
View attachment 289352
Well, Coach, it is the SEC, so let’s adjust.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Here’s a real big point to ponder:

IF Tolu particularly, and the team as a whole would make 75% or more of their free throws, State wins it big
dream on apple GIF by Paul McCartney

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
True. Bama is a top 5 team and played like it last night. They had players hitting key shots all night. We didn't catch them on an off night that's for sure.

I'm wondering what the basketball budget of paying players is now at Bama. It's getting up there with Kentucky.
Owl Jelly GIF

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You are right. I don’t think this team could score 70 against Jackson Prep much less SEC teams.

That might be a tad overdramatic. What I witnessed Wednesday night is one of the most athletic teams in the country. Top 5 for sure. Maybe THE most. Purdue doesn't have guys like that. UConn doesn't have as many. Bama beat Houston when they were #1.

Bama had it seemed like at least 5 guys 6'9" or better that are loooong, and basically their job last night was to smother Tolu, fouls be damned. And they doubled him (at least) all night. They played this game exactly how a team with long tall athletes to burn should play against us. Wipe out our best player, then hope our shots don't fall. They beat the **** out of Tolu. He could hardly jump up for a putback because he had guys hanging on him the whole time. They got hot from 25'+ towards the end as we were pressing, and we had no answer, but we cut it to 7 with maybe 3 minutes left.

It's one loss against a very good team. I would enjoy seeing how Prep defends Tolu though. Would be interesting.

Reactions: onewoof

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Even better to hit them in the spot that automatically knocks them out of breath for 15 seconds .

Attachments

• 58CFF874-833B-4B77-8056-CD6463B58408.jpeg
    58CFF874-833B-4B77-8056-CD6463B58408.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 3
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login