I watched the recording of the game....

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That same ref that spotted the ball in the OT was giving AZ favorable spots all night and giving us unfavorable. I wonder why Arnette did not ask for reviews on those others. Also, that touchdown was not a touchdown. He lost the ball when he was standing straight up, and he did not cross the line until he fell forwards and he did not have the ball. I was watching the replay of the USC and Stanford game; the ref called a TD when it was obvious the guy stepped out of bounds a yard out. I wonder if the PAC 12 officials are told to call touchdowns every time when it is close. Also, on that touchdown in our game there was an OL lineman pulling the runner. That is a penalty. You can push but you can't pull unless that rule has been changed in the past few years. It was obvious. Something else I noticed, their offensive line was grabbing the back of the jerseys on our D line man a bunch and never got called.

Oh yeah, our O Line has to get on the same page when pass blocking or LSU is going to break Roger's neck.

Just my observations. I might be looking at it wrong.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The silver lining take from the game is that the coaches made a rookie mistake by going conservative too early, much like Mullen admitted to doing in Baton Rouge in 2014 where we had to hang on to win. Maybe they learn from that.

The non-silver lining take is that our OC doesn't trust our offense enough to air it out at all and we're going to try and win in the SEC with inferior athletes and a vanilla system.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If we go ground and pound it will be a long season and possibly a short career for Barbay. If ya think that second half against Arizona looked rough wait until we try that against LSU and Bama.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The silver lining take from the game is that the coaches made a rookie mistake by going conservative too early, much like Mullen admitted to doing in Baton Rouge in 2014 where we had to hang on to win. Maybe they learn from that.

The non-silver lining take is that our OC doesn't trust our offense enough to air it out at all and we're going to try and win in the SEC with inferior athletes and a vanilla system.

I doubt we'll be conservative since we're likely to be trailing the whole game. I imagine they'll look on Will flinging it around more kindly trailing by two TDs.

Hope I'm wrong. I often am.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That same ref that spotted the ball in the OT was giving AZ favorable spots all night and giving us unfavorable. I wonder why Arnette did not ask for reviews on those others. Also, that touchdown was not a touchdown. He lost the ball when he was standing straight up, and he did not cross the line until he fell forwards and he did not have the ball. I was watching the replay of the USC and Stanford game; the ref called a TD when it was obvious the guy stepped out of bounds a yard out. I wonder if the PAC 12 officials are told to call touchdowns every time when it is close. Also, on that touchdown in our game there was an OL lineman pulling the runner. That is a penalty. You can push but you can't pull unless that rule has been changed in the past few years. It was obvious. Something else I noticed, their offensive line was grabbing the back of the jerseys on our D line man a bunch and never got called.

Oh yeah, our O Line has to get on the same page when pass blocking or LSU is going to break Roger's neck.

The SELA game had several spots where a coach should have challenged, and I don’t think we ever did.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
On one of their touchdowns did the receiver step out of the back of the endzone? Looked like he did live but the jumbotron replays were complete garbage.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
On one of their touchdowns did the receiver step out of the back of the endzone? Looked like he did live but the jumbotron replays were complete garbage.
Scoring plays are automatically reviewed. They reviewed that TD and call on the field "stood". How there wasn't a good enough camera angle to show him stepping out of bounds is beyond me.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
How there wasn't a good enough camera angle to show him stepping out of bounds is beyond me.
This. I don't know what replays were available to the review team, but the replays we had on TV were just awful. How could we just have a blurry mess of the receiver's feet on the end line? Seems like everyone else gets crisp views from 8 different angles.

I also think Tulu was about a half yard short on that first TD, but apparently they didn't have a side view showing where the ball was when his foot went out.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Was thinking about this, the last time we had a first time head coach was Mullen in ‘09 and I can definitely remember some rookie coaching moments he had that year. Not giving it to Dixon at the goal line four times in a row against LSU, not knowing he could challenge the illegal forward pass penalty when it was a blatant bad call against Houston, etc.

Thankfully Arnett’s rookie coaching didn’t cost us a win, or at least it hasn’t yet. But his peers in this league have been around a long time so he’s gonna have to get some things sorted out for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawg84 and Fang1

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

I think you are looking at it through glasses with a maroon tint.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Generally a well called game. There were some occasional issues, but then again, there always are. Until there are AI refs calling the games, no one will ever be totally satisfied. And then I suspect a few fans will still be unhappy.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Generally a well called game. There were some occasional issues, but then again, there always are. Until there are AI refs calling the games, no one will ever be totally satisfied. And then I suspect a few fans will still be unhappy.
I thought the officials were better than SEC officials. There were several "move the ball forward a yard" fo AZ. Their first touchdown the ball was down at the two with the side judge clearly marking it there. The line judge marked it at the one.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
AZ held us so much it was a damn joke. Those refs won't have a conference next year. 17 them!
I can't point to specific plays as proof because I haven't reviewed the game, I will mention that their QB may be quick but I noticed that our DL were unable to break from the OL block and chase from someone going backward while they pass blocking.

ETA - Penalties

AZU 5-55 no holding penalties
MSU 9-90 one at the end of the 1st half killed a TD

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Better than consistently looking through **** stain tint. Why are you even a fan? Just move on.
He's not. You have to read all his posts in a deep faux-southern gentleman/foghorn leghorn voice. He's wearing a seersucker suit and a bowtie, most likely with white bucks. His hair is a little too long in the back, which he thinks looks 'preppy' but is actually just a modern take on a mullet that no one else respects.

He is sitting in a large chair in front of a bookshelf filled with books he's never read but that are autographed by his favorite authors - namely, William Faulkner, John Grisham (he went to law school in Oxford, you know), Stephen Godfrey, Yancy Porter, David Kellum, Archie Manning, and Sean Touhy. He sits with his legs crossed, under a fake crystal chandelier as a reading lamp, and sipping on an ice cold zima poured into a highball glass as he types. The posts begin to make more sense at that point.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for giving hope

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I often go back and rewatch the games and fast forward to all our good plays. This one didn't take long.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He's not. You have to read all his posts in a deep faux-southern gentleman/foghorn leghorn voice. He's wearing a seersucker suit and a bowtie, most likely with white bucks. His hair is a little too long in the back, which he thinks looks 'preppy' but is actually just a modern take on a mullet that no one else respects.

He is sitting in a large chair in front of a bookshelf filled with books he's never read but that are autographed by his favorite authors - namely, William Faulkner, John Grisham (he went to law school in Oxford, you know), Stephen Godfrey, Yancy Porter, David Kellum, Archie Manning, and Sean Touhy. He sits with his legs crossed, under a fake crystal chandelier as a reading lamp, and sipping on an ice cold zima poured into a highball glass as he types. The posts begin to make more sense at that point.
cigar?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login