I wish the best for Zack Arnett and his family.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
He came in at a time of great need for our University and I appreciate his services. He was a GREAT defensive coordinator and he will surely land on his feet with that under his belt. He wasn't ready to be a head coach in the SEC, but I wish him the best moving forward. We are about to see what this Selmon guy is made of.

I love you all
GOJ

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Absolutely. He was a fantastic DC and was willing to step up to the challenge in a very trying time. Unfortunately it just did not work out.

I can't help but think that this is a relief for him and his family also to just get this over with and move on. He will not be unemployed any longer than he wants to be as some program will eagerly snap him up and get a good defensive coordinator out of the deal.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I'd like to know who got in his head and manipulated him to become an emotionless zombie. Whoever is responsible for that needs to be gone, even if it is Keenum.

Reactions: msstatelp1

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
$10,000,000? What were the terms of his head coaching contract?
$3MM/yr for 4 years with 50% guaranteed. So, $3MM this year, then $4.5MM buyout when fired for a total of $7.5MM as HC. Add to that the $$ he received as DC and we've paid him close to a total of $10MM during his time here.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
$3MM/yr for 4 years with 50% guaranteed. So, $3MM this year, then $4.5MM buyout when fired for a total of $7.5MM as HC. Add to that the $$ he received as DC and we've paid him close to a total of $10MM during his time here.
Good grief

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Good grief
About as sweet a deal as we could hope for on his HC contract. Most SEC HC's are making north of $7.5MM/yr. $4.5MM is a cheap buy-out in today's game. At least we're not facing a $76MM buy-out like TAMU.

I believe Arnett also has an obligation to mitigate - meaning that he has to try to find another job and the buy-out will be reduced by whatever salary he makes in his new role. So if LSU or USC hires him as DC and pays him $1.5MM/yr, the buy-out goes to zero.

Reactions: dorndawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Does anyone really know for sure that those guys wanted to work for Arnett? All of them came from WSU with Leach. They didn't come here to work for ZA.
I would bet they didn't want to work for him because they knew him well enough to know he would fail at this job and they didn't want to be associated with this inevitable disaster.

Last edited:

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Sounds great but it's probably not that rosy after taxes, cost of living and a 40+ live expectancy. Just saying.

Oh it's more than doable. He could take 500K place it into a dividend ETF or Stock and net $150K annually starting in year 5. In 7 years, he could pull his 500K off the table and make 117K per year off of what was reinvested.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login