I wonder where NIL amounts will be in 5 years

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I’m guessing comments and actions like this will be much more common and continue to drive up the price.

Attachments

• IMG_9167.jpeg
    IMG_9167.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 21

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
I would like to say there will be a cap at some point. I got to believe that some rules are going to come into play to hedge this system.

Reactions: DerHntr

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
They are not students! End the charade. If you take NIL money, then you are not eligible to receive an athletic scholarship.
Correct. People have to let go of the "amateur" status charade. The novel idea of kids being student-athletes will eventually go by the wayside.

As time goes on, fewer and fewer kids will pick a school because of their love for the campus and coaches. It's eventually going to be a simple business decision. It will feel more like Busch League NFL than NCAAF.

Honestly, I bet in 10 years there will be some sort of "fairness" policy that will allow kids to play and earn a living without even having to take or pass classes.

College football as you remember is over. Focus on the tailgating.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I don't know what the answer is. I just know that the more "college sports" resembles professional sports, I'll just choose to watch real professional sports with an actual league framework. It's better talent, coaching, performance, TV production, rules, and on.

That's not me saying I don't think the value creators in college athletics shouldn't profit (much of that is athletes). They should. I don't want to stand in the way of that. I'm just saying if there is no reasonable framework in place for stability and my college team's roster turns over every 1-2 years because there's no loyalty to my University where players will uproot and chase a $10k raise, then why should I support a far inferior sports product?

As much as I'd like to say it's all about the name on the jersey and nothing else matters, that's a lie. We still like to have some kind of commonality with college athletes - especially the good ones. And really the only thing a 40 year old man like me can find in common with a 19 year old college athlete is having an affection for the same University. When that's gone, I'm chasing down the best entertainment and college won't be it. I'm sure there are many others like me. May not happen overnight but that's a long term financial risk for college sports that isn't being addressed whatsoever right now.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
He’s certainly not wrong with his comment. You can hate the current system all you want but you shouldn’t blame the players for taking advantage of it.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
NIL Insights

Interesting website. Looks like the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac 12 are beating the SEC overall when it comes to NIL compensation.

Football dominates the amounts.

In women’s basketball, the guards make more vs men’s basketball, where the forward do.

0.5% of NIL is funded by fans. Let that sink in…

Reactions: aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm cautiously taking the under. ROI will hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly, I predict. Why pay pro $ to amateurs?
Same. The newness has already worn off some (probably coinciding with tax season). Nobody is going to continue to just give away money like this.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Because some rich people don't own pro teams and want to pretend to be NFL owners.
Completely agree, but they (usually) didn't become rich by being dumb. I think the marketplace will settle in lower on the average.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I'm cautiously taking the under. ROI will hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly, I predict. Why pay pro $ to amateurs?
Are you telling me, you wouldn't want to straight up buy a chance to win a football or basketball national championship? If you had a billion dollars, and it would cost you 20 million to sign the best OL, DL, LB, CB, S, QB, RB, and TE in the country for one year and we went on to win the National Championship, you wouldn't do it?

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Same. The newness has already worn off some (probably coinciding with tax season). Nobody is going to continue to just give away money like this.
I mean, if you are using the athlete for marketing, then it would be 100% a business expense but it still cost you money that you could have given yourself.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NIL Insights

Interesting website. Looks like the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac 12 are beating the SEC overall when it comes to NIL compensation.

In women’s basketball, the guards make more vs men’s basketball, where the forward do.

Probably some funny stuff going on in that calculation. The website didn't come up for me, so if they lay this out in more detail, let me know.

I'm betting 80% of NIL is absolutely funded by fans, disguised behind a big company, like Marucci and LSU. And by 'fans', do you mean collectives too? Because that's where the fans donate for the most part.

Very few of these athletes will get true NIL, which is money paid for due to the actual market reach of the athlete. Those would be the Johnny Footballs of the world, and there aren't many of them.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Are you telling me, you wouldn't want to straight up buy a chance to win a football or basketball national championship? If you had a billion dollars, and it would cost you 20 million to sign the best OL, DL, LB, CB, S, QB, RB, and TE in the country for one year and we went on to win the National Championship, you wouldn't do it?
Buddy if I had a billion dollars, that's EXACTLY what I'd tell you. And then I'd go back to enjoying my day on my yacht in the French Rivera along with my fellow billionaire Fishwater and the SaintSations.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's always been an element of it. You pay for coaches, facilities, etc. So I guess I should say, sure, I would. But it's sad that there isn't at least a little bit of school/state/etc. pride. That's what made it great for so long. I don't have any issue with paying players, I just don't like the mercenary aspect of it.

I mean, if you are using the athlete for marketing, then it would be 100% a business expense but it still cost you money that you could have given yourself.
Not following. I guess you could write it off, but who cares. You're still shelling out money that doesn't really help your business.

Reactions: dorndawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
College football as you remember is over. Focus on the tailgating.
This is it in a nutshell for me. I waited until the last day possible to make a decision this year and went ahead and bought them but I doubt I'll even go in.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
I’m guessing comments and actions like this will be much more common and continue to drive up the price.
I know what my NIL pledge will be.

This can likely never be quantified in an absolute fashion, but I’m as convinced as ever that this movement will be an overall detriment to student athletes on the whole, despite some benefitting more than before.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
NIL Insights

I would be extremely skeptical of how complete and accurate their data is.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
No way to tell until the players become unionized. Then it will take on a new life of it's own.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It really seems like the transfer portal is the big problem. NIL isn't going away. Players are getting paid, they've been getting paid for 50 years. But it does seem like they need to stop this immediate transfer nonsense, because that's where schools are just picking and choosing other schools' best players. That needs to stop with the end of the COVID era, which is why they did it to begin with.

I say this while the portal has actually been a net positive for MSU. I think long term it may end up being a bad thing. But it seems to be the biggest thing. Without that, we wouldn't be worried about losing our whole team, in all sports, every year. That's the biggest part of the 'continuity'.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It really seems like the transfer portal is the big problem. NIL isn't going away. Players are getting paid, they've been getting paid for 50 years. But it does seem like they need to stop this immediate transfer nonsense, because that's where schools are just picking and choosing other schools' best players. That needs to stop with the end of the COVID era, which is why they did it to begin with.

I say this while the portal has actually been a net positive for MSU. I think long term it may end up being a bad thing. But it seems to be the biggest thing. Without that, we wouldn't be worried about losing our whole team, in all sports, every year. That's the biggest part of the 'continuity'.
This. A pro team wouldn't build itself on a roster full of 1 year contracts. Neither should college. There needs to be structure behind transferring and it shouldn't be convenient. You can have a system with this built in and still compensate players. At the very least the destination program should have to pay the original program some kind of buy out fee. Similar things happen when coaches leave on a whim mid contract.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This. A pro team wouldn't build itself on a roster full of 1 year contracts. Neither should college. There needs to be structure behind transferring and it shouldn't be convenient. You can have a system with this built in and still compensate players. At the very least the destination program should have to pay the original program some kind of buy out fee. Similar things happen when coaches leave on a whim mid contract.
Can't really do that with NIL though, because it's supposed to be based on the player, with no connection to the school (although they all technically do, just not legally).

I don't see them rolling back NIL, then going to some sort of employment/unionization. But I'm with you, they'll tamp down on a ton of NIL if they just reinstate the year 'sit-out' penalty. Better be a damn good NIL deal to waste a year of eligibility.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Is it just me or does it seem a little condescending, like when Tom Segura refer to the poors, but in this case it’s not tongue in cheek.
I don’t think that quote is going to be taken well by the common NIL contributors.

Reactions: DerHntr

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I think it will also be interesting to see what happens when a team like us or om rolls out a 3-9 stinker of a season. Almost seems like it will make rebuilding even harder if your NIL dollars start drying up.

(Not to say I think it will happen to us)

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I anticipate that some of the people providing the larger NIL amounts will become a bit more conservative after they find themselves in an annual shakedown a few times. They may start to question the value of their “investment “. College football has been a big thing to me for a long time but the more drama we have with the NIL and portal issues the more my interest is waining. I have been attending our games since 1961 but the only reason I still go is to spend time with my family. Loyalty and pride in your University is no longer part of the equation for a large portion of the athletes. It’s a shame but it’s just part of our changing world, and not in a good way.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login