Ice Death 2023 coming to the Memphis metro.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is HRRR total ice accumulation. Tomorrow afternoons temps will be crucial as to how bad it will be or we catch a break and it goes above freezing for a little while.

1675112189438.jpg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
We're starting our version of icepocalypse in DFW now. Just need to keep the ice accumulation down.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
The fact that the local news stations have just started talking about this storm has me a little concerned and it seems like every time there is an update the forecast gets worse. I'm leaving the office early today to fill up my truck and all my gas cans for the generator.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The fact that the local news stations have just started talking about this storm has me a little concerned and it seems like every time there is an update the forecast gets worse. I'm leaving the office early today to fill up my truck and all my gas cans for the generator.
It’s going to hover right around freezing and any little deviation will make a big difference. Could be a matter of just a few miles where there’s just rain and significant icing.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I wish someone had given me this advice 20 years ago. Snow and ice chains/cables/traction devices can be found online for +/- $75-100 a pair. They come in a small bag you can throw anywhere you keep jumper cables.

If you have 4WD/AWD/FWD 1 set for the front will work, but two are best.. RWD you need 2 sets for drive power and turning. Not only would they come in handy for the inevitable ice storms every 4-5 years that turn the roads into a hockey rink. They are really good in the mud if you find yourself in a pickle.

They are good up to 25-30 mph. I remember a few ice storms in the south where we lost power and the roads were completely impossible to drive for a day or more. Got stuck at work overnight in Dallas once two. A cheap set of chains solves that problem instantly.

Hope none of you get screwed with this system... 17ing ice storms are the worst.

Reactions: She Mate Me

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
@PooPopsBaldHead are chains legal in the south? I thought I’ve seen places where chains are prohibited because they tear the road up. Do they cause any damage to your tires if you go over areas without ice/snow?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Going to be fun here as well.

Tonight: A chance of freezing rain. Cloudy, with a low around 27. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday: Freezing rain likely before 3pm, then freezing rain and sleet likely. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog before 1pm, then patchy fog after 4pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 31. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

Tuesday Night: Freezing rain and sleet likely before 9pm, then freezing rain. Patchy fog between 10pm and 1am. Low around 29. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of 0.2 to 0.4 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

Wednesday: Freezing rain before 9am, then rain or freezing rain between 9am and noon, then rain showers after noon. High near 35. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
@PooPopsBaldHead are chains legal in the south? I thought I’ve seen places where chains are prohibited because they tear the road up. Do they cause any damage to your tires if you go over areas without ice/snow?
I think some states have seasonal laws saying you can't use them after April etc. Nobody would have a law against them in ice or snow. They have limits on speed, but no issue to tires if you keep it under 30.. All those chains hanging under 18 wheelers get used a lot.

For as little as you would use them, I might look at cables or even the strap style deals.

ETA: Something like this. Cheap date for the few times you would actually need them every decade. Much like a portable generator.

Screenshot_20230130-174710.png

img_6201_burned__76207.jpg

Screenshot_20230130-174529_copy_540x1024.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
"Hope none of you get screwed with this system... 17ing ice storms are the worst."

They really are. Slept in the den of my first house in Ridgeland in the early 90's ice storm thinking a 60 foot pine tree was surely about to take out my bedroom.

An experience you won't forget.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I think some states have seasonal laws saying you can't use them after April etc. Nobody would have a law against them in ice or snow. They have limits on speed, but no issue to tires if you keep it under 30.. All those chains hanging under 18 wheelers get used a lot.

For as little as you would use them, I might look at cables or even the strap style deals.

ETA: Something like this. Cheap date for the few times you would actually need them every decade. Much like a portable generator.

View attachment 304711

View attachment 304709

View attachment 304710
Ok, I’m sold. Thanks. I’ve pretty much been able to get around in my 2WD tundra with extra weight thrown in the back, but this seems like a no brainer to keep in the truck.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Ok, I’m sold. Thanks. I’ve pretty much been able to get around in my 2WD tundra with extra weight thrown in the back, but this seems like a no brainer to keep in the truck.
Look for cables if you can find them that fit and are in budget. I had to get a pair last year. Took my winter tires off at the end of March so I could tow my RV back and forth from Utah. We got some snow in April and May and I forget how bad all season tires are in snow and ice. Could barely keep my 4wd 250 on the road that first day. Bought a set of cables from the hardware store and it was smooth sailing.

It sucks taking them on and off at least a week for 2 months so thats why I started the thread looking for the severe snow/3 peak rated all season tires the other day. There are a few months where I can't run my winter tires yet we still get a few days of snow here and there. But having them for that once a year or less snow/ice storm in the south is a no brainer.

FWIW. Winter tires are unbelievable in snow and ice. Most of the people who make fun of southern drivers in the snow are running winter tires that are made of super soft rubber and siped like crazy when it snows. Any idiot can drive around like a pro on snow and ice with a decent set of winter tires.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
This shat ain't getting the best of me....wat, noooooooooooooooo

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
"Hope none of you get screwed with this system... 17ing ice storms are the worst."

They really are. Slept in the den of my first house in Ridgeland in the early 90's ice storm thinking a 60 foot pine tree was surely about to take out my bedroom.

An experience you won't forget.
I went through a couple of really bad Ice storms in Mississippi. There's nothing like sitting there in the dark at night hearing the limbs, pop and fall from the weight of the to ice. And I don't mean little limbs I mean, listening to the trees fall apart.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I went through a couple of really bad I storms in Mississippi. There's nothing like sitting there in the dark at night hearing the limbs, pop and fall from the way to the ice. And I don't mean little limbs I mean, listening to the trees fall apart.
Waking up that first morning in February of 94 was quite the experience. Limbs and trees crashing and transformers exploding.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Waking up that first morning in February of 94 was quite the experience. Limbs and trees crashing and transformers exploding.
I didn't think the Delta would ever recover. I was in Starkville but I saw the pictures. It was catastrophic.

Drizzled and sprinkled here today at 29 degrees and put ice on the cars and metal surfaces. Tomorrow might no be so good with rain, fog, and thunder and then the rain continues tomorrow night and not will never get above 29 degrees until Wednesday night.... maybe.

A week from today it's supposed to be in the 60's. More normal for Austin in the winter.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
That was awful. While Hollandale was close to tail end of it, we still had transformers blowing up after the limbs fell. Luckily, the town had just gotten limbs trimmed about a month before, or it would have been so much worse.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That was awful. While Hollandale was close to tail end of it, we still had transformers blowing up after the limbs fell. Luckily, the town had just gotten limbs trimmed about a month before, or it would have been so much worse.
We lived at the foot of the bluff and the trees crashing and limbs popping all morning was unreal. We lived at the end of a dead end road about a mile from the highway and it took us 3 hours to get there pulling trees out of the way. It was bad where we were but way waaay worse around Clarksdale and Cleveland. We took some stuff to my grandmothers house in Clarksdale a few days later and it looked like they had been bombed.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
The one last year was bad at my house. We had a lot of large limbs come down. You could hear them cracking. I saw the top of an oak snap off and land on the power line.

Can’t speak personally for 94 b/c I was too little to remember. Everyone mentions it every time ice is in the forecast. Just like Katrina or Camille on the coast.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I still hate cold showers to this day! Had to take hot showers at a friends house who amazingly still had electricity.

We have a gas water heater, stove and logs so the TX rolling blackouts recently were bearable during the tough temps. Funny thing is that my heat is gas but had an electric igniter so couldn't use it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We're starting our version of icepocalypse in DFW now. Just need to keep the ice accumulation down.
Yep. Here in Fort Worth looks like sleet coming down good right now and things are starting to look white all over. High today here of 28 and Wednesday's looking the same with high of 31 and 85% of precip. Can't remember if I've ever seen / heard thunder while winter precip coming down but that's what's happening at this moment here in DFW.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
We lived at the foot of the bluff and the trees crashing and limbs popping all morning was unreal. We lived at the end of a dead end road about a mile from the highway and it took us 3 hours to get there pulling trees out of the way. It was bad where we were but way waaay worse around Clarksdale and Cleveland. We took some stuff to my grandmothers house in Clarksdale a few days later and it looked like they had been bombed.
Being a farmer, I’m sure you’ll get a kick out of this story that occurred during the massive infrastructure repair.

Farmer friend of mine told story of a crew out of Florida that that showed up to work on cross country transmission lines. Thad had several six wheel drive boom trucks. Farmer went to hook 4WD rice tractors up to em. They declined and said these trucks will go anywhere.

After they went about 10 feet out in field, he came around em in tractors and made em get out of their fancy 6x6 trucks and hook up the chains in the mud. He said this is Delta Gumbo not Florida sand!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Being a farmer, I’m sure you’ll get a kick out of this story that occurred during the massive infrastructure repair.

Farmer friend of mine told story of a crew out of Florida that that showed up to work on cross country transmission lines. Thad had several six wheel drive boom trucks. Farmer went to hook 4WD rice tractors up to em. They declined and said these trucks will go anywhere.

After they went about 10 feet out in field, he came around em in tractors and made em get out of their fancy 6x6 trucks and hook up the chains in the mud. He said this is Delta Gumbo not Florida sand!
Ha that’s great. The crew that fixed our power was from South Carolina and they kept asking how we get around in this mud. They had never seen anything like it. Good ole Sharkey clay.

Our guys pulled them around all week fixing poles.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s getting rough in central Arkansas. We got a few hours of sleet last night, we’ve got about 6 more on the way, and it’s not supposed to get above 28 today. Then we’ll have a whole new round of it tomorrow although temps are supposed to be a few degrees warmer.

Right now, I don’t see the kids going to school til Friday, best case

Jul 26, 2021
I live in NE Arkansas, and I drove to and back from work today to/from Memphis. You couldn’t stick a nail up my ***. I’m thinking that tomorrow, I’m just going to tell my boss Hayll no.
I’m from the MS Delta, and maybe I’m just to “southern” for this ****.

Reactions: HRMSU

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I live in NE Arkansas, and I drove to and back from work today to/from Memphis. You couldn’t stick a nail up my ***. I’m thinking that tomorrow, I’m just going to tell my boss Hayll no.
I’m from the MS Delta, and maybe I’m just to “southern” for this ****.
Yeah I’d be saying no too. It’s going to be worse in the morning.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Yep. Here in Fort Worth looks like sleet coming down good right now and things are starting to look white all over. High today here of 28 and Wednesday's looking the same with high of 31 and 85% of precip. Can't remember if I've ever seen / heard thunder while winter precip coming down but that's what's happening at this moment here in DFW.
Yeah, that was surreal. Thundering like a normal rain shower and nothing but ice falling from the sky. Here in DFW, we have about 2 weeks of winter, but they can be hellacious.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, they have decided that we're going to stay below freezing until Thursday with another rain system coming in at 3 o'clock in the morning. We already have a really good solid sheet of ice over everything so I'm wondering what may happen when more starts piling on top.

Image 1-31-23 at 7.14 PM.jpeg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login