If 42 is the Ultimate Answer, the Ultimate Question is...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
How many bowl games are there?

And it's now 42 bowl games because the NCAA wants 6-7 Hawaii to host Memphis in the Hawaii Bowl.

The new bowl game will be in Texas and *all* 83 bowl eligible teams will go to bowls.

BREAKING: NCAA has added a 42nd bowl, allowing all 84 bowl-eligible teams to play in a bowl, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. The bowl will be in Texas, date TBA, on an ESPN Network. The new bowl allows Hawaii (6-7) to play in @HawaiiBowl vs. Memphis https://t.co/sWuCgscvVT— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) December 2, 2021

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gonna be honest, I clicked this thinking it had something to do with Jackie Robinson, but knowing Middle Tennessee will get that long awaited match-up with Ball State and that it will be within driving distance of my house will help me sleep a little easier tonight.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Interesting about the Hawaii Bowl. Aloha Stadium has basically been condemned, so the bowl will take place at a stadium on U Hawaii’s campus. It seats 9,000 people.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Hawaii is 6-7 instead of 5-7 because they played New Mexico State ... twice.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Interesting about the Hawaii Bowl. Aloha Stadium has basically been condemned, so the bowl will take place at a stadium on U Hawaii’s campus. It seats 9,000 people.

Should be fine, I highly doubt there will be anywhere near 9,000 people there.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Definitely. How many Memphis folks ya think are flying to Hawaii ? I doubt Hawaii averaged 3500 fans a game this year. Hope there is a big payout or Memphis will go in the hole just on airfare

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Should be fine, I highly doubt there will be anywhere near 9,000 people there.

Speaking of Hawaii, we just had to cancel a trip to Hawaii over the Christmas holidays because there are ZERO rental cars available on the big island.

Apparently, all the car rental companies in Hawaii sold off or transferred to the mainland many of the cars in their fleets due to the covid . . . and they are struggling to get their numbers back up now that travel to the islands is increasing.

Do NOT book an airline ticket to Hawaii, or a place to stay, before you lock down your rental car.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
I actually went to a Hawaii Bowl with a visiting team about 7-8 years ago. There was our family and one other family in the visitor's team section. Trip was awesome tho. No rental cars would definitely be a show stopper.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't see much of any other alternative. As long as these bowl owners can make money, and teams accept invites, not much you can do. They are becoming glorified scrimmages for younger players, with the opt-outs and what not, and yet they keep adding more.

But if you think about it, there HAS to be some reward at the end of the year. It can't be all about the playoff else most fanbases will simply check out. So to that end, I really do hope the playoff stays at 4 teams. I feel like the only way to keep people engaged with a bigger playoff is to make it like 20 or more teams, which would match what other classifications do. That way everybody truly has a chance.

Aug 15, 2011
It's time to go to 64 teams like Leach has proposed...

I don't see much of any other alternative. As long as these bowl owners can make money, and teams accept invites, not much you can do. They are becoming glorified scrimmages for younger players, with the opt-outs and what not, and yet they keep adding more.

But if you think about it, there HAS to be some reward at the end of the year. It can't be all about the playoff else most fanbases will simply check out. So to that end, I really do hope the playoff stays at 4 teams. I feel like the only way to keep people engaged with a bigger playoff is to make it like 20 or more teams, which would match what other classifications do. That way everybody truly has a chance.

Play the first three rounds at the higher ranked teams home stadium. The minor bowl sponsors can sponsor the first 3 rounds of games. Have the round of 8 and 4 at the major bowls, and then play a national championship game. They would have to reduce the regular season to probably 10 games and remove the conference title games, but going to a playoff with this many teams would generate a ton of interest and money. The smaller teams would feel that they finally have a shot at a title even if the chance is small, and interest in the minor matchups would be far more than pointless bowl games. The teams would have something legitimate to play for, and the playoff wouldn't just be about 4 to 5 blue bloods.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
I turned New Mexico State into a powerhouse in dynasty mode in EA Ncaa Fotball 2014. Simulated all games, took about 5 years to get recruiting going.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
How many bowl games are there?

And it's now 42 bowl games because the NCAA wants 6-7 Hawaii to host Memphis in the Hawaii Bowl.

The new bowl game will be in Texas and *all* 83 bowl eligible teams will go to bowls.

BREAKING: NCAA has added a 42nd bowl, allowing all 84 bowl-eligible teams to play in a bowl, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. The bowl will be in Texas, date TBA, on an ESPN Network. The new bowl allows Hawaii (6-7) to play in @HawaiiBowl vs. Memphis https://t.co/sWuCgscvVT— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) December 2, 2021

^^^^^^Zaphod Beeblebrox approves of this message.^^^^^^

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Play the first three rounds at the higher ranked teams home stadium. The minor bowl sponsors can sponsor the first 3 rounds of games. Have the round of 8 and 4 at the major bowls, and then play a national championship game. They would have to reduce the regular season to probably 10 games and remove the conference title games, but going to a playoff with this many teams would generate a ton of interest and money. The smaller teams would feel that they finally have a shot at a title even if the chance is small, and interest in the minor matchups would be far more than pointless bowl games. The teams would have something legitimate to play for, and the playoff wouldn't just be about 4 to 5 blue bloods.
I'd say 32. 64 is used for basketball/baseball and there are 250 teams or so. Keep the ratio about 25%. But yeah I like the idea of the shorter season. Most people check out by midseason anyway, especially if their team sucks.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Speaking of Hawaii, we just had to cancel a trip to Hawaii over the Christmas holidays because there are ZERO rental cars available on the big island.

Apparently, all the car rental companies in Hawaii sold off or transferred to the mainland many of the cars in their fleets due to the covid . . . and they are struggling to get their numbers back up now that travel to the islands is increasing.

Do NOT book an airline ticket to Hawaii, or a place to stay, before you lock down your rental car.

I heard people are renting uhauls to drive around Hawaii.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login