If it's one thing I'd like to see from Stans on Sunday...

thunderclap

Feb 25, 2008
it would be that he subs ONE AT A TIME, leaving four starters on the floor, giving starters a break here and there. I still can't figure the mass substitution pattern. We're gonna need our starters to get breathers on Sunday if the intensity is going to remain high for 40 minutes.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
I don't know if Calipari always does this but he subed all 5 starters not long into the 1st half vs UTA. There is a significant drop off in talent in the backcourt when Memphis does that.

Our bench will be able to run with theirs.

HighPointDawg

Feb 9, 2005
#1 Stans DID try to sub a few at a time yesterday.. He had two guys (just watched the replay) ready to come in for Barry and JV but there was no stoppage of play and no reason (no run) to call a TO... 3 full minutes went off the clock and then he sent two subs for Ben and Charles (Charles was calling for a sub) so he had no choice but to sub 4 at a time.

#2 Memphis subs all 5 players at a time a lot .... almost in all of their last few games.

VinceVega70

Sep 24, 2007
Memphis can sub all five at a time playing the likes of UTA and the CUSA, but if they try that crap with us tomorrow, whatever the score is, it will move in our favor significantly during those moments.
If we are playing our A game, it will takes Memphis' A game to beat us. </p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
that he wants our best 5 players playing as a unit for the maximum minutes possible. He'd rather play at 100% for 36 minutes and 40% for 4 minutes than play at 100% for 20 minutes and 80% for 20 minutes. I don't totally agree with it, but I do see what he's trying to do.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
It's too late now, but another side effect of his substitution pattern is it slows the development of players like Ravern Johnson. If he could have worked Ravern in for about 10-12 minutes a game with the starters during the season then he would be a much bigger help now.</p>

I think an 8 man rotation with Ravern, Brian Johnson, and Phil Turner would have been the way to go. </p>

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
Easier said than done, Cdawg. If they had developed they would be playing that much but they have been at best eratic. Elgin would play more too but it depends ont he matchups because he would have had no chance against Oregon on defense. Stans was smart how he substituted and used the timeouts to his advantage. we did not look that tired at the end last night but we also had some time to rest some a little on defense due tot he lead. Big diffence than chasing and defending.

RunsLikeADeere

Mar 14, 2008
thunderclap said:
it would be that he subs ONE AT A TIME, leaving four starters on the floor, giving starters a break here and there. I still can't figure the mass substitution pattern. We're gonna need our starters to get breathers on Sunday if the intensity is going to remain high for 40 minutes.

what you said in the few words: "40 minutes"</p>

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Notice that I didn't mention Elgin Bailey. And it's not easier said than done. It's pretty simple really. Bring in Brian Johnson for Varnado. Then bring Varnado in for Rhodes. And then Rhodes for Brian Johnson. Boom, there's your front court rotation.

Bring in Ravern for Ben. Then Ben for Gordon. And then Gordon for Ravern. There's your backcourt rotation. Phil is your filler for defense or added rest. Nice, simple 8 man rotation.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
its not like we are the only team in america that would like to play its best 5 together as much as possible. Everyone would love that, but its not feasible and neither is our "4 minutes of survival" substitution pattern.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login