If nothing else, I think Jeff Lebby has a lot of confidence in himself and his plan.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
The fact that Lebby hasn't said a word about Leach Beach or South Farm or the legacy of Mike Leach or anything that as come before him, tells me that it's his show and he has a plan.

Last off-season Arnett leaned HEAVILY on the what Leach had done and what he was told had worked in the past, specifically practices at South Farm. Because he wasn't very confident in himself they only practiced there a few times, but it was evident he was listening to old-timers around the program.

Lebby hasn't done any of that stuff. David Murray was talking yesterday about how they are taking Friday to go over the entire pre-game procedure for the season so that everything runs smoothly. That's not something Arnett, Moorhead and certainly not Mike Leach ever put much effort into. It may seem like a small thing, but it shows a level of attention to detail that I find encouraging.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
In defense of Arnett, it was impossible for him to not be attached to the Leach legacy. Same players, many of the same coaches, and he was obviously on that staff too.

With Lebby, some more time has passed and frankly there aren’t many guys around who played a major role under Leach. It’s a little less complicated to move on to Lebby’s own thing.

Reactions: StateCollege

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The fact that Lebby hasn't said a word about Leach Beach or South Farm or the legacy of Mike Leach or anything that as come before him, tells me that it's his show and he has a plan.

Last off-season Arnett leaned HEAVILY on the what Leach had done and what he was told had worked in the past, specifically practices at South Farm. Because he wasn't very confident in himself they only practiced there a few times, but it was evident he was listening to old-timers around the program.

Lebby hasn't done any of that stuff. David Murray was talking yesterday about how they are taking Friday to go over the entire pre-game procedure for the season so that everything runs smoothly. That's not something Arnett, Moorhead and certainly not Mike Leach ever put much effort into. It may seem like a small thing, but it shows a level of attention to detail that I find encouraging.
It's a welcome change. We are currently in the era of the hired mercenary. Coaches are retiring earlier than ever. Teams are rebuilding every year in the portal. The past is the past.

Hell, many of the people posting on these boards are too young to remember the Jackie era. I have no problem with him coming to games and waving to the crowd that remembers him. I think another year or 2 to let wounds heal and Dan could start coming back if he wanted to. But it's not like we have much history to dwell on.

Unfortunately Leach passed away and his small connection to MSU will be overshadowed by his legacy at Tech. Which is fine. We can remember him with the pirate flag logo and such, but there's no sense in trying to dwell on those teams.

We need to lean on this staff and hope they can make a mark, put up huge offensive numbers, and start a new bowl streak (in time).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In defense of Arnett, it was impossible for him to not be attached to the Leach legacy. Same players, many of the same coaches, and he was obviously on that staff too.

With Lebby, some more time has passed and frankly there aren’t many guys around who played a major role under Leach. It’s a little less complicated to move on to Lebby’s own thing.
What? Arnett did everything possible to separate himself from Leach. Fired all his guys, lied to his QBs, brought in his own folks, etc.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I think you're looking awfully hard for something to believe in. Every new coach looks like the best thing ever before he's coached a game. We'll see how good he is over the next 3-1/2 months.
Actually, I don't have to look that hard to be impressed with Lebby so far.

I just thought it was interesting how the South Farm was such a big talking point last off season and it's not even mentioned by anyone - fans and media alike. I guess everybody realized how big of a joke that whole deal was.

Also, there was stuff that Moorhead was doing in fall camp that worried some fans. The only complaint I've seen with Lebby is the lack of access to the fans, but I that's not unusual. I've heard Veer & Shoot coaches are notoriously guarded, so that might be something the fans and media will have to deal w/ as long as he's here.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
What? Arnett did everything possible to separate himself from Leach. Fired all his guys, lied to his QBs, brought in his own folks, etc.
And he’s still viewed as the sympathy hire and last year is viewed widely as the inevitable downfall after our coach died. Arnett could try as hard as he wanted, he was still perceived as Leach’s DC that was there as a placeholder.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
True, but he kept Leach Beach and wouldn't go a single interview without mentioning Leach's letter outlining how he organized the program. He just had a different offensive philosophy, which led to the firings. He did a lot of things to please the old-timers and hangers-on.

Reactions: Ers236

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I think you're looking awfully hard for something to believe in. Every new coach looks like the best thing ever before he's coached a game. We'll see how good he is over the next 3-1/2 months.
I take it as a positive that Coach is supremely confident. You can’t lead unless you are confident and can get players to follow you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
True, but he kept Leach Beach and wouldn't go a single interview without mentioning Leach's letter outlining how he organized the program. He just had a different offensive philosophy, which led to the firings. He did a lot of things to please the old-timers and hangers-on.
That's actually a very smart thing for Arnett to do. He just.....just couldn't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the Air Raid, just like most of our fans.

In all honesty, I do wish Lebby would have thought hard about keeping some of those things (organizational stuff). Discipline was excellent during Leach's tenure.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I have no expectations for Lebby or for this season. Just plan to show up in my seat by kickoff and see what happens. A Mississippi State grad and fan hoping to see my team give it the old college try.

Reactions: Yeti

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

This post probably triggered the usual suspects, 85Bears, Goat, patdog

But something I will never understand, and will hopefully dissolve with time, is the obsession or need by our fans to carry on some form of legacy for Leach within our program. Why would we do that? He was here for less than 3 years and finished 19-17 record. Hate he passed and he was undoubtedly a CFB legend, but we’re probably the 3rd or 4th school in terms of schools he should be associated with.

Lebby having dialogue surrounding Leach as it relates to his program would be pretty damn weird and unnecessary. I’d be concerned if any coach we hired in 2024 was referencing a coach we had for 3 seasons that didn’t accomplish anything of significance for us on the football field.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
This post probably triggered the usual suspects, 85Bears, Goat, patdog

But something I will never understand, and will hopefully dissolve with time, is the obsession or need by our fans to carry on some form of legacy for Leach within our program. Why would we do that? He was here for less than 3 years and finished 19-17 record. Hate he passed and he was undoubtedly a CFB legend, but we’re probably the 3rd or 4th school in terms of schools he should be associated with.

Lebby having dialogue surrounding Leach as it relates to his program would be pretty damn weird and unnecessary. I’d be concerned if any coach we hired in 2024 was referencing a coach we had for 3 seasons that didn’t accomplish anything of significance for us on the football field.
Fair enough. Leach was a cultural figure who transcended college football, and he coached here. Mississippi State doesn't have a lot celebrities associated with it so it's natural for people to want State to be apart of his legacy. Lebby doesn't care about any of that, which is a good thing, but part of me wishes he'd acknowledge him every once in a while. Arnett probably went to far but he was in a tough situation. He made things worse by selling the new offense as keeping some of the elements of the Air Raid when in reality it was nothing like it.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Exactly. Adding a few wrinkles to modernize that offense would have been the way to go. I expressed that constantly during the transition but most football geniuses here thought Junior sucked and I suggested Mason or whatever his name was but got the same response. And they might have. We will never know. Obviously they could not have 17d it up any worse than Coach Barbary. Continuity was the correct path. Or at least a larger amount of continuity

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Fair enough. Leach was a cultural figure who transcended college football, and he coached here. Mississippi State doesn't have a lot celebrities associated with it so it's natural for people to want State to be apart of his legacy. Lebby doesn't care about any of that, which is a good thing, but part of me wishes he'd acknowledge him every once in a while. Arnett probably went too far but he was in a tough situation. He made things worse by selling the new offense as keeping some of the elements of the Air Raid when in reality it was nothing like it.
What does Lebby need to acknowledge about Leach? Respectfully, Mississippi State football is bigger than the Leach tenure. We should strive to hold our program to a high standard. I get the SPS way is to be negative and sarcastic as possible, but at what point does it become pathetic? Shouldn’t we want to succeed and want something better than what we’ve been given?

Some on here have such a small, weak view of
our program(not referring to you) and what they “believe” we can accomplish. I don’t think we have a chance to compete for a playoff spot every year but does it make me delusional to want a coach who has high expectations, wants to embrace this program as his own, and shoot for greatness? If we are constantly referring and pointing to old Leach who was here as his last stop and just wanted to prove he could run his system in the SEC, what does that say about MSU? I would’ve loved to have 2000 Leach, but we got 2020 Leach, who was a bit different, in my opinion.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. Adding a few wrinkles to modernize that offense would have been the way to go. I expressed that constantly during the transition but most football geniuses here thought Junior sucked and I suggested Mason or whatever his name was but got the same response. And they might have. We will never know. Obviously they could not have 17d it up any worse than Coach Barbary. Continuity was the correct path. Or at least a larger amount of continuity
With the air raid, your either all in or all out. I mean leach play call sheet was a folded up piece of paper. There was no modernizing it.

As others have said. He had a niche. The niche would have been fine here, he would have won 8 football games a season. Sprinkle in a season or two where he won 4-5. That was pretty much his career and likely what he would have done here.

There are some that are totally OK with that. There are some that think we can do better than that. Each to me have valid opinions.

But in no way can you hire a coach and expect them in any way to keep traditions of leach.. who like posted above, was honestly slightly above average football coach.. that never even got close to the pinnacle of college football or even the top of the conference he coached in

It would be like modeling your high school after a C+ school. For those D and F schools that seems great. But for someone wanting to be a high B or even an A school... that model will never get you there... thats leach in a nutshell

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For me, the Leach Era highlighted the mentality our fanbase and reinforced in my mind that we likely will never win in football. It's not about Leach vs. Lebby, it's about what the Leach Era revealed. That's why I refer to it so much.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Tulsa guy that got towel whipped may disagree.
Normally I wouldn't respond to bait like this, as anyone with any intelligence knows our program was definitely under control during Leach's time, similar to Mullen. But since there is a little meat on this bone, I'll indulge, and the answer is simple - hardly any program in America was completely under control during COVID, it was chaos everywhere.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Normally I wouldn't respond to bait like this, as anyone with any intelligence knows our program was definitely under control during Leach's time, similar to Mullen. But since there is a little meat on this bone, I'll indulge, and the answer is simple - hardly any program in America was completely under control during COVID, it was chaos everywhere.
I guess I should have put sarcasterisks. I don’t think that situation was a huge deal. Football players hit each other all game and when emotions get high stuff can happen. It’s impossible to control the emotions of 85 18-23 year old men.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
For me, the Leach Era highlighted the mentality our fanbase and reinforced in my mind that we likely will never win in football. It's not about Leach vs. Lebby, it's about what the Leach Era revealed. That's why I refer to it so much.
That’s an odd thing to extract from the Leach era. We hired an outdated coach who was past his prime. He achieved a 19-17 record while abandoning our bread and butter on the recruiting trail (defensive line, LB’s, offensive line, running backs)*. If anything, it should reinforce we can win in a number of ways but the ticket to our ultimate success isn’t through a traditional air raid with a stubborn coach that players (outside of QB) loathe playing in.

*please don’t respond with some variation of run the ball! We just need a balanced attack. It’s what good teams do.

The Leach era gave us stagnation. We weren’t building towards anything in the way it seemed we were under Mullen. We were just going to plug and play with his system as the talent dwindled away from our program. Our fanbase is still recovering. I went to 80% of the home games in ‘21 & ‘22, even when we were winning games, there was zero enthusiasm in our program.

Our identity during Leach era was Mike Leach. But not in the way it was during TT or WSU days. It was more ego driven and sucked the life out of our fanbase. Our identity was “oh hey! MSU has Leach, I bet they’ll score a lot of points and be edgy and exciting!” But the reality was we were carried by defense and the least explosive offense in the country by sheer numbers and also, entertainment.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That’s an odd thing to extract from the Leach era. We hired an outdated coach who was past his prime. He achieved a 19-17 record while abandoning our bread and butter on the recruiting trail (defensive line, LB’s, offensive line, running backs)*. If anything, it should reinforce we can win in a number of ways but the ticket to our ultimate success isn’t through a traditional air raid with a stubborn coach that players (outside of QB) loathe playing in.

*please don’t respond with some variation of run the ball! We just need a balanced attack. It’s what good teams do.

The Leach era gave us stagnation. We weren’t building towards anything in the way it seemed we were under Mullen. We were just going to plug and play with his system as the talent dwindled away from our program. Our fanbase is still recovering. I went to 80% of the home games in ‘21 & ‘22, even when we were winning games, there was zero enthusiasm in our program.

Our identity during Leach era was Mike Leach. But not in the way it was during TT or WSU days. It was more ego driven and sucked the life out of our fanbase. Our identity was “oh hey! MSU has Leach, I bet they’ll score a lot of points and be edgy and exciting!” But the reality was we were carried by defense and the least explosive offense in the country by sheer numbers and also, entertainment.
again agree.

Leach was always going to be middle of the pack. He was a niche. He was going to have a difficult road flipping the roster to work in his system.. and the guy after him was going to have a difficult road flipping it to another system.

The airraid system never won at a high level. It was always plug and play. The team would look the same 10 years from now as it did year 2 had leach not passed. Now and then youd get a minschew or a michael crabtree that made it a touch better but never elite. Its why there are only a few coaches that actually ran it.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
again agree.

Leach was always going to be middle of the pack. He was a niche. He was going to have a difficult road flipping the roster to work in his system.. and the guy after him was going to have a difficult road flipping it to another system.

The airraid system never won at a high level. It was always plug and play. The team would look the same 10 years from now as it did year 2 had leach not passed. Now and then youd get a minschew or a michael crabtree that made it a touch better but never elite. It’s why there are only a few coaches that actually ran it.
It would’ve been great to have hired Leach in 2004. He would’ve had some success 20 years ago in Starkville. But we didn’t get the same guy in 2020 and also, CFB has completely changed.

Fans who act like the pinnacle of what Mississippi State football can achieve is Mike Leach at 62 and Will Rogers is incredibly jaded and sad. Obviously, expectations are different to everyone, but we’ve churned out numerous NFL players the last 15 years and won many games. We can build and become better. I don’t get why some believe in this low, imaginary ceiling of our program. We aren’t Georgia, never will be. But we are better than dink and dunk 3 yards at a time. That was infuriating to watch.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We hired an outdated coach who was past his prime.
He was 59. Many coaches are hired in their late 50s and go on to their greatest runs of their careers. Nick Saban did this. So this point is false.

He achieved a 19-17 record while abandoning our bread and butter on the recruiting trail (defensive line, LB’s, offensive line, running backs)*. If anything, it should reinforce we can win in a number of ways but the ticket to our ultimate success isn’t through a traditional air raid with a stubborn coach that players (outside of QB) loathe playing in.
This is up for debate. I didn't love the hire when we made it, but I respected that Cohen was at least trying to see if MSU could become a program that can move the ball through the air. And yes, Leach recruited differently, but it wasn't vastly different than before. It was still about MS and the surrounding areas, and he also utilized the portal....immediately.

The path to being a "good team" is different for everybody. We need whatever works, not some mythical "balance".

The Leach era gave us stagnation. We weren’t building towards anything in the way it seemed we were under Mullen. We were just going to plug and play with his system as the talent dwindled away from our program.
Another myth - the talent was not dwindling. Rankings wise, we were doing the exact same. And as far as Mullen, our fans got excited in 2009 and 2010 yes, because we were so happy to simply be competent and not at an intentional disadvantage like we were in the Croom Error. But as soon as adversity hit, we jumped off that wagon too. Never forget - the mouth breathers wanted Mullen fired late in 2013.

Our fanbase is still recovering. I went to 80% of the home games in ‘21 & ‘22, even when we were winning games, there was zero enthusiasm in our program.
I'll agree that we didn't have much excitement. But the reason we didn't are two fold. One of them is the same reason we aren't excited now - combination of being so beat up turnover/turmoil/COVID/changes, etc., and the second, is that we are stupid and didn't know what we had.

Our identity during Leach era was Mike Leach. But not in the way it was during TT or WSU days. It was more ego driven and sucked the life out of our fanbase. Our identity was “oh hey! MSU has Leach, I bet they’ll score a lot of points and be edgy and exciting!”
That's a good thing. His name cache was helping us attract better QBs and WRs. That's asinine to say that sucked the life out of the fanbase in any way. Ultimately our identity would have been winning, and that's kinda good last time I checked.

But the reality was we were carried by defense and the least explosive offense in the country by sheer numbers and also, entertainment.
Funniest thing about this is so many wanted Leach to 'modernize' or 'modify' shlt, and it's just as retarded now as it was then. He DID modify his program, to fit MSU and the players we typically get. We've ALWAYS been a defensive program, and he leaned into that. HE hired Arnett. And of course everybody realizes the offense gets better and better the longer you run it. Plug and play is a good thing at a program like MSU.

At some point, we just agree to disagree. I've told you what I thought. The majority of our fanbase doesn't really agree with me, so I took the hint - I pulled back. But I'm certainly still going to be here to point out the flaws in the stupid things we are doing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fans who act like the pinnacle of what Mississippi State football can achieve is Mike Leach at 62 and Will Rogers is incredibly jaded and sad. Obviously, expectations are different to everyone, but we’ve churned out numerous NFL players the last 15 years and won many games. We can build and become better. I don’t get why some believe in this low, imaginary ceiling of our program. We aren’t Georgia, never will be. But we are better than dink and dunk 3 yards at a time. That was infuriating to watch.
The pinnacle of what MSU can achieve is the 2-loss level. We've done that twice in the modern era, 1999 (9-2 without an FCS team) and 2014 obviously, a regular 10-2. Those are facts.

These are also facts - the SEC just got harder. We are also going to go to 9 games eventually, adding even more difficulty. We also have these new rules that do not benefit MSU. Fair to say now that 9-3 level or even 8-4 might be our pinnacle. That likely doesn't even get you in the playoff, unless it expands again.

We are going to have to do things differently, or just settle for being the SEC's welfare child.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
He was 59. Many coaches are hired in their late 50s and go on to their greatest runs of their careers. Nick Saban did this. So this point is false.

This is up for debate. I didn't love the hire when we made it, but I respected that Cohen was at least trying to see if MSU could become a program that can move the ball through the air. And yes, Leach recruited differently, but it wasn't vastly different than before. It was still about MS and the surrounding areas, and he also utilized the portal....immediately.

The path to being a "good team" is different for everybody. We need whatever works, not some mythical "balance".

Another myth - the talent was not dwindling. Rankings wise, we were doing the exact same. And as far as Mullen, our fans got excited in 2009 and 2010 yes, because we were so happy to simply be competent and not at an intentional disadvantage like we were in the Croom Error. But as soon as adversity hit, we jumped off that wagon too. Never forget - the mouth breathers wanted Mullen fired late in 2013.

I'll agree that we didn't have much excitement. But the reason we didn't are two fold. One of them is the same reason we aren't excited now - combination of being so beat up turnover/turmoil/COVID/changes, etc., and the second, is that we are stupid and didn't know what we had.

That's a good thing. His name cache was helping us attract better QBs and WRs. That's asinine to say that sucked the life out of the fanbase in any way. Ultimately our identity would have been winning, and that's kinda good last time I checked.

Funniest thing about this is so many wanted Leach to 'modernize' or 'modify' shlt, and it's just as retarded now as it was then. He DID modify his program, to fit MSU and the players we typically get. We've ALWAYS been a defensive program, and he leaned into that. HE hired Arnett. And of course everybody realizes the offense gets better and better the longer you run it. Plug and play is a good thing at a program like MSU.

At some point, we just agree to disagree. I've told you what I thought. The majority of our fanbase doesn't really agree with me, so I took the hint - I pulled back. But I'm certainly still going to be here to point out the flaws in the stupid things we are doing.
Comparing Nick Saban, the greatest coach of all time, to Mike Leach is insane in any context.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The pinnacle of what MSU can achieve is the 2-loss level. We've done that twice in the modern era, 1999 (9-2 without an FCS team) and 2014 obviously, a regular 10-2. Those are facts.

These are also facts - the SEC just got harder. We are also going to go to 9 games eventually, adding even more difficulty. We also have these new rules that do not benefit MSU. Fair to say now that 9-3 level or even 8-4 might be our pinnacle. That likely doesn't even get you in the playoff, unless it expands again.

We are going to have to do things differently, or just settle for being the SEC's welfare child.
The “SEC got harder” is such a myth. It’s the same it’s been the last 15 years. We still play 8 conference games. We didn’t drop Arkansas for Texas. We dropped Alabama for Texas. The schedule in terms of difficulty is the same as it was in 2010, 2017, 2021, etc. We replaced tough teams with other tough teams. Sometimes we catch a break and play a bad Auburn team, sometimes we don’t.

You have a loser mentality and that’s fine. Just sit in your box and be miserable and root for the failure of the Lebby tenure. We’ll find out if he’s a good coach in just a few weeks.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You have a loser mentality and that’s fine. Just sit in your box and be miserable and root for the failure of the Lebby tenure. We’ll find out if he’s a good coach in just a few weeks.
One correction....I won't be in a box, I'll be at home on the couch.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dan Mullen coached in the best SEC we've ever seen. Leach coached in one of the weakest. Leach wouldn't survive the portal era. Heck, he pissed off our RB calling him names like a little kid and caused him to transfer out. Leach would've had a mutiny last year as players had gotten tired of his act too.

Reactions: retire the banner

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
What does Lebby need to acknowledge about Leach? Respectfully, Mississippi State football is bigger than the Leach tenure. We should strive to hold our program to a high standard. I get the SPS way is to be negative and sarcastic as possible, but at what point does it become pathetic? Shouldn’t we want to succeed and want something better than what we’ve been given?

Some on here have such a small, weak view of
our program(not referring to you) and what they “believe” we can accomplish. I don’t think we have a chance to compete for a playoff spot every year but does it make me delusional to want a coach who has high expectations, wants to embrace this program as his own, and shoot for greatness? If we are constantly referring and pointing to old Leach who was here as his last stop and just wanted to prove he could run his system in the SEC, what does that say about MSU? I would’ve loved to have 2000 Leach, but we got 2020 Leach, who was a bit different, in my opinion.
Your obsession and hatred of Leach is really weird. you must have had some interaction with him where you feel slighted or it’s personal. reminds me of Robbie Faulk being nearly in tears because Leach made him wait and he didn’t get to ask a question he had prepared.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login