If Selmon could convince Bob Stoops to come to State......

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Obviously, he would be better than what we have today, but I think we'd be setting ourselves up for disappointment. The college game has changed a lot since Stoops stopped coaching (2016). He never had to deal with the current transfer rules or NIL. It wouldn't be an overnight turnaround.

That being said, he's the only coach on the planet with an NCAA Championship and an XFL Championship, so nobody else would have a coach with that accolade.

Speaking of XFL, I think that's a big reason he'd never do it. Unless he's into coke, gambling, or hookers, he made enough money at OU that he never has to work again. I think the XFL gives him a low to no pressure way to stay around the game and probably scratches any itch he has to coach. If the XFL folds, there are a million other places for him to scratch the itch without being the CEO of an SEC program. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has any desire to come back to the high stress world of Power 5 college football.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Stoops could walk into any opening in NCAAF. He would not come to state. We need to bet the house on Herman.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Obviously, yes, but wait... how old is he? Some people have declared 62 too old to be our coach, so that might put him out.
Imagine if a Stoops would coach to retirement while grooming potential replacements. I have long believed that coaching continuity is a great asset to a program, unless it's a crappy coach that you let hang around, then, the opposite...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Imagine if a Stoops would coach to retirement while grooming potential replacements. I have long believed that coaching continuity is a great asset to a program, unless it's a crappy coach that you let hang around, then, the opposite...
Good post!

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Hell oklahoma would probably fire venables this morning if stoops wanted that job back
Probably so. There is no way Stoops would want to finish his career at State. But he might get on board with helping Selmon find a HC for us.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Probably so. There is no way Stoops would want to finish his career at State. But he might get on board with helping Selmon find a HC for us.
Be cool the two surviving Selmon brothers would go to him, and Dewey say go help my son and the uncle Lucious say go help my nephew. Those three brothers are legend in Oklahoma. I would imagine they are the reason he got hired by OK in the first place.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Would Joe Judge be a name now after what happened with the Giants? I mean he's the assistant head coach at New England and it looks like Belicheck will be gone after the season if not sooner.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login