If someone offered us to win the natty in football this year

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Going into a season knowing it will be bad is a lot different than going in with expectations.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'd take it even if it was followed up by 10 losing seasons. 17 it. 10 scoreless seasons. My MSU heart is so calloused to losing, it wouldn't matter me.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Saints won a Super Bowl. State won a NC. I have bench pressed 400 pounds. I lived a good life and one day will die happy.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Abso-17ing-lutely.

The baseball national championship was nice and always will be. A national championship in football is an entire university changer, especially for one without one.

You saw how Starkville lit up by being number one for a few weeks.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The way the college football NIL bidding wars are going, the idea that we will ever get to that level is impossible.

To give you the impact of the attention college football brings a university, the few weeks we were at #1 in 2014 we saw a 30% increase in admission applications and several new large donations to the university. Looking over at Tuscaloosa they've built many new buildings on campus and renovated the highways going through town. So yes, economically there's a return on investment. Until recently with NIL.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yes, I would.

We definitely do not pass the eye test for ESPN. Our demographics are worse than Vandy's. We don't have the money to compete for players. ESPN wants the big money schools in that final game so viewers are tuning in. That's why I don't watch.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The way the college football NIL bidding wars are going, the idea that we will ever get to that level is impossible.

To give you the impact of the attention college football brings a university, the few weeks we were at #1 in 2014 we saw a 30% increase in admission applications and several new large donations to the university. Looking over at Tuscaloosa they've built many new buildings on campus and renovated the highways going through town. So yes, economically there's a return on investment. Until recently with NIL.
I really wish you downers would quit ruining every thread with the doom and gloom of NIL. In 2 years, it'll just be another day and no one will even think about it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I really wish you downers would quit ruining every thread with the doom and gloom of NIL. In 2 years, it'll just be another day and no one will even think about it.

I don't know what universe you're living in but a team that has mostly NFL caliber/ready players is a team other college teams cannot compete with.

Saban is upset because he knows he can't win it all this year and probably next year as well.

NIL isn't a big deal until you have programs assembling NFL caliber teams with millions of dollars. Which is what aTm is openly doing with NIL.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't know what universe you're living in but a team that has mostly NFL caliber/ready players is a team other college teams cannot compete with.

Saban is upset because he knows he can't win it all this year and probably next year as well.

NIL isn't a big deal until you have programs assembling NFL caliber teams with millions of dollars. Which is what aTm is openly doing with NIL.
How is that any different than the past? The only difference is now Texas, Texas A&M and the other richest programs will do it instead of Alabama. And even then it'll only affect the top recruits. Coaching and culture will still matter the most. I don't think MSU's standing will change much at all.

willi13

Sep 24, 2003
Really? Of course!

However, the reality is it won’t happen. But doesn’t hurt to dream it happening. The problem we State fans have is it’s like dreaming your sleeping with Marilyn Monroe only to wake up next to Marilyn Manson.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There's no difference. The context is the idea of Mississippi State and a natty in college football isn't in the realm of possibility. Unless we want to find a way to drop $25M to $40M on recruits.

By the way, why hasn't anyone in the media asked Leach for his thoughts on the recent comments by Saban and Fisher? Maybe they did and he declined comment.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The question is a hypothetical question. The correct answer is of course. We could go winless the next year and I would say yes.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This fan base would not only take it...They'd even offer to be in the bottom of the SEC the next season

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There's no difference. The context is the idea of Mississippi State and a natty in college football isn't in the realm of possibility. Unless we want to find a way to drop $25M to $40M on recruits.

By the way, why hasn't anyone in the media asked Leach for his thoughts on the recent comments by Saban and Fisher? Maybe they did and he declined comment.
It just emphasizes how we must do things differently in order to ever have that dream. That's what the hiring of Leach was all about. The old way of recruiting didn't help us, and I doubt NIL will either. We have to run niche schemes and market ourselves differently.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This fan base would not only take it...They'd even offer to be in the bottom of the SEC the next season
I would have easily offered up the results we got this year, for the results we got last year, in January of 2021.

Then again, while disappointed, I'm not down on the program at all at the moment. I'm just sitting here laughing at all the people who don't think we will turn it around next year.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

the Key West Gazette looked for him but couldn’t find which bar he was hanging out in! ***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login