If we move on from Arnett

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Should one of the criteria be a coach with an outgoing personality and/or carefully created media profile? Deion, Pittman, Beamer, Kiffen seem to know the importance of having a presence. What I've seen so far is that Arnett does not, he's more in the Saban mode.

One of the reasons OM get's more love/pub than us is Kiffen's antics, same for Pittman (although he may be fired after this season). Obviously having qualifications, experience and skills are the main factors, but should we also have some who can "win the press conference?" If so, what are some realistic candidates who have this ability?

Obviously winning solves/trumps everything and let's hope Arnett turns it around.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't care as much about that as I do experience in coaching at a higher level and knowing how to mold offense around players.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't really give a rats arse if I ever hear Arnett or any other head coach open their mouth, as long as they are winning or at the very least improving. Most of what you hear from any coach is just the typical coach speak w/ words like "improving, working hard, intensity, find a way, ", yada yada yada......

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
If he gets passed over by better programs, first call needs to be Lance Leipold. The next hire needs to prioritize HC experience and he has over 15+ years and has won at Buffalo and Kansas.

After that, the list should go:
(in no particular order)

Dave Clawson
Charles Huff
Dan Mullen
Curt Cignetti (James Madison)
Jamey Chadwell (Liberty)

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Zach needs to be on the phone cutting a deal with Huff now. Name him coach Friday after the egg bowl. He is young can relate and can coach he already proved it at Marshall. Should have hired him last year could have gotten him cheap then. But Bracky was looking to see who he could rule ineligible for the last bowl game we will play for a few years

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If he gets passed over by better programs, first call needs to be Lance Leipold. The next hire needs to prioritize HC experience and he has over 15+ years and has won at Buffalo and Kansas.

(in no particular order)

Dave Clawson
Charles Huff
Dan Mullen
Jamey Chadwell (Liberty)
There is a lot of buzz about James Madison and their coach. We'll see how they do the rest of the season.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm much more concerned about what happens on the field than at the microphone - though we should probably cut the f-bombs in post game interviews.
Having an outgoing personality works in the recruiting/transfer world. Getting someone experienced in big time recruiting and/or embraces the portal, is key.

I don't follow it, but i remember some on here thought JoMo did a good job recruiting.

We knew Leach wasn't going to set the world on fire recruiting wise, but we accepted that due to his brilliance/experience/track record of success.

We can't surrender the state to Kiffen/OM.

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

(in no particular order)

Dave Clawson
Charles Huff
Dan Mullen
Jamey Chadwell (Liberty)
What a depressing list of names

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
The names might not win headlines on the front page of ESPN but they do win football games. No matter the conference, division, etc. winning matters. Now, it's all irrelevant until December 2024 at the earliest but still it's more enjoyable to discuss than our current state of affairs.

Lance Leipold: 158–57
Dave Clawson: 152–134
Charles Huff: 20-10
Dan Mullen: 103–61
Curt Cignetti (James Madison): 113–34
Jamey Chadwell (Liberty): 103–57

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Need the next corch to be a poster on this board.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
Should one of the criteria be a coach with an outgoing personality and/or carefully created media profile? Deion, Pittman, Beamer, Kiffen seem to know the importance of having a presence. What I've seen so far is that Arnett does not, he's more in the Saban mode.

One of the reasons OM get's more love/pub than us is Kiffen's antics, same for Pittman (although he may be fired after this season). Obviously having qualifications, experience and skills are the main factors, but should we also have some who can "win the press conference?" If so, what are some realistic candidates who have this ability?

Obviously winning solves/trumps everything and let's hope Arnett turns it around.
We need to be more focused on a big splash hire (proven commodity) more so than personality. If you can win like Saban, you more than welcome to be an introverted *******.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

Of the 4 coaches hired at the same time including Leach, it appears Kiffen turned out to be the best pick, then Drinkwitz, then Leach & Pittman were about a tie. However we"ll never know if Leach could have been the best unfortunately. I think he could have been.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Of the 4 coaches hired at the same time including Leach, it appears Kiffen turned out to be the best pick, then Drinkwitz, then Leach & Pittman were about a tie. However we"ll never know if Leach could have been the best unfortunately. I think he could have been.
Been interesting to see what a healthy Leach could have built over the long term. We certainly should have hired him over SloMo. Danny boy took us to unimaginable heights, but Leach may have done that too over the same period of time.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The names might not win headlines on the front page of ESPN but they do win football games. No matter the conference, division, etc. winning matters. Now, it's all irrelevant until December 2024 at the earliest but still it's more enjoyable to discuss than our current state of affairs.

Lance Leipold: 158–57
Dave Clawson: 152–134
Charles Huff: 20-10
Dan Mullen: 103–61
Curt Cignetti (James Madison): 113–34
Jamey Chadwell (Liberty): 103–57
Chris Klieman: 105-34

He's making $4.5M at Kansas State. Reminder, EMAW went 10-4 and beat TCU to win the Big XII last year. I know he's probably comfortable where he is, but we could offer him enough to make him think.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login