If we win yesterday 28-24 this board (and fanbase) is united

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
and all in. IE, that kind of win would have shown mild improvement in all 3 phases. What we got was the defense improved dramatically and both special teams and offense fell off of a cliff.

Agree or disagree that the perception would be different with a 28-24 win?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
and all in. IE, that kind of win would have shown mild improvement in all 3 phases. What we got was the defense improved dramatically and both special teams and offense fell off of a cliff.

Yeah I don't know about that. I believe the fan base wants to be united but above all else we don't want years to pass us by. I think most people are done already. Even if we would have won it at that level, we would all know it to a team that has now lost 6 in a row.

Right now, people are looking hard at the play on both sides of the ball. While the blitzing that we added did well, we still allowed WRs to be wide open and KJ just could not hit them. One was for a TD. Just threw it in the dirt.

At this point, the calls by the OC are on the front of everybody's mind. He's lost... clueless. How do you call a run play to that side knowing that if the first isn't made you put your kicker at a disadvantage? Just examples every game....

The only way to cure this is for our team to come out and look prepared. But that isn;t going to happen. We are literally training this staff on the job and they will move on at some point and who ever lands them may get the new and improved version.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

If we cover the spread, it is a good win.*********************************

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have seen a few posts suggesting Arnett told Barbay to go more conservative after the first quarter. Not sure what gave them that opinion or if they have inside info ? Idk. And before you goober say what post this ain't the only State site.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Until Arnett gives evidence that he has a f’n clue (in-game decisions, recruiting to name 2 obvious deficiencies), I don’t see much positive momentum developing.
That’s why I was asking the question. I’m happy with the win but it did nothing to convince me arnett is the guy. No more than auburn was convinced that tubberville was still the guy after the 3-2 win.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
All you have to do is watch an Arnett interview on the sideline / field before, during or after a game and you can tell what this program's upside is .

Agree.

I saw the Arnett interview on the field right after the Arkansas game, and I don't remember what he said, but I do remember watching him answering the question and what I thought as he spoke. Arnett appeared to be kinda confused by the question and didn't really know what to say. In other words, he looked and sounded like an idiot that is completely incompetent.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
At this point, the calls by the OC are on the front of everybody's mind. He's lost... clueless. How do you call a run play to that side knowing that if the first isn't made you put your kicker at a disadvantage?
Two things- how do we know the OC wasn’t told that he had two plays to get the first down, and then Arnett changed his mind after third down? Also, how do we know Wright didn’t audible and run to that side?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
All you have to do is watch an Arnett interview on the sideline / field before, during or after a game and you can tell what this program's upside is .
I was gonna respond but dog12 covered it. An intellectual he ain't. But he doesn't have to be. But saying we got pride. These guys just played more harder does not quite make you sound like you know what the 17 you are talking about. Plus are you saying they were not playing hard last game ? Or against SC ?? Wtf ?

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Well, winning any game by any score when you feel like the officials were on your side leaves me shaking my head. I guess Alabama fans are so used to it they don't even recognize it anymore or they've come to expect it. I didn't see the illegal procedure on the replay where we could have lost the game.

At any rate, I am proud of the way the defense played. Purvis was everywhere making plays on defense. It is hard to get excited when your offense only had 205 yards and I doubt you get to 28 points with that output unless your defense delivers a couple of pick 6 plays.

We can "what-if" until a meteor hits the earth. I am happy for the win but perplexed by the way the offense and defense play some quarters and disappear for others. Consistent play makes you feel more comfortable with the results.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

If Wright’s TD run didn’t get called back there would be much less bitching on here.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It was like watching Iowa. 17 that. I want to win, but I also want to enjoy the game. That was atrocious football from both offenses. 3A high school JV offenses execute better.

I will not watch if that shìt continues. It was disgusting.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I would feel a lot better seeing our offense move the ball and get in the end zone. The defense is unlikely to hold any other team to single digits.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have been very critical of these coaches this year. I put the blame squarely on them. But I must admit if this D plays like this against Auburn and Kentucky we will be bowling. I had this team at 5 and 2 at this point so it's not terrible. It has looked terrible. But if they can continue playing good defense and either Will comes back or Mike improves a little we could win 6 or 7. Maybe even 8. Texas 8&4 will be a dumpster fire by the time we play them.

Reactions: HeCannotGo

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Reactions: Nugdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It was a false start on Thomas because he was not set for a full second before the snap. If you look at the replay, he was checking with the ref for confirmation he was on the line when the ball was snapped
Was the ref he was checking with the same one that threw the flag?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Was the ref he was checking with the same one that threw the flag?
I think he must have been. That lineman was not visible in the replay, but it did not look like the Head Linesman at the top of the screen threw his flag.

You could hear whistles blowing shortly after the fumble. In real time I figured the TD was coming off the board, but had no idea we would keep the ball.

Side note, why didn't those announcers ever look at the refs during the plays? They called that Thomas reception a TD, even though the ref was marking him short of the goal. Then on our 4th down stop of Jefferson, the Head Linesman clearly threw down his bean bag to signal a fumble, but they never noticed. And then on the fumble that wasn't, the refs were waving the play dead before Arkansas even picked up the ball.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

What if we had lost 10-7, like what really should have happened?

Reactions: knock him out john

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think he must have been. That lineman was not visible in the replay, but it did not look like the Head Linesman at the top of the screen threw his flag.

You could hear whistles blowing shortly after the fumble. In real time I figured the TD was coming off the board, but had no idea we would keep the ball.

Side note, why didn't those announcers ever look at the refs during the plays? They called that Thomas reception a TD, even though the ref was marking him short of the goal. Then on our 4th down stop of Jefferson, the Head Linesman clearly threw down his bean bag to signal a fumble, but they never noticed. And then on the fumble that wasn't, the refs were waving the play dead before Arkansas even picked up the ball.
Thanks for clearing that play up for me. The announcers seemed to want it to be controversial. They didn't do a very good job covering the plays. Maybe they were watching another game.

Another thing I've noticed recently is holding is no longer being called. I saw multiple holds by both teams during the game. I know they won't call it if OLs grab the DLs directly in front but they have to release if the DL spins or gets past them.
You bring up some good questions about the announcers.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
What if we had lost 10-7, like what really should have happened?
Or we could’ve won 17-3, like what really should’ve happened.

Holy ****. Arnett is nowhere near Croom or even Moorhead. But, the self-fulfilling death loop has already started. Even if State finishes 7-5, Arnett is done.

Reactions: Dawgg

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
That’s a no from me. Was a no the day he was announced as HC. Would the game have been more interesting sure but winning one SEC game or two games doesn’t change the trajectory of this program.

Reactions: knock him out john
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login