If (when) Lane bolts, who tops OM list?

Sep 15, 2009
Obviously Freeze's name will come up, but I don't think even OM goes back down that road. Another team will certainly take a shot on him soon, but it won't be OM. So who are the other likely candidates?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
College Football GIF by Aflac Duck

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Obviously Freeze's name will come up, but I don't think even OM goes back down that road. Another team will certainly take a shot on him soon, but it won't be OM. So who are the other likely candidates?
Oh, I don't think that the SEC will allow Freeze back to Ole Miss.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
A quick hire of Deion would for sure steal the thunder of Lane going Auburn.

That would be a massive gamble. Prime does not have the experience yet. He does need to move up to show he has the ability to handle larger programs, but it's a massive step from JSU to an SEC team.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I've heard some of the plantation flock saying they want Rhule. Of course they think they could make one call to Dabo and get him, too, so I don't even begin to venture guesses.

Aug 16, 2018
They going after Matt Rhule first. Cross kinda let it slip on the radio yesterday. He tried to disguise it by talking about Rhule with two other possible candidates but in his excitement, he put way too much emphasis on Rhule.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That would be a massive gamble. Prime does not have the experience yet. He does need to move up to show he has the ability to handle larger programs, but it's a massive step from JSU to an SEC team.
from a coaching perspective it’s hard to argue against what he has done at JSU. Running an SEC program might pose some new challenges but a good AD could help

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
They’ll swing for the fences and get turned down, and end up hiring someone like Jamey Chadwell or another G5 head coach.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't care who they get as long as the search drags out long enough to ruin their recruiting cycle and set them back 2 or 3 years program wise.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I’m going to take the contrarian approach here.

Deion would be a great hire for Ole Miss.

He gets good coordinators and coaches and attracts good talent to Jackson State.

Imagine how that skill set would translate at the Power 5 level.
I'm with you. It's a gamble, but a gamble that has a massive return if it hits. I doubt the floor is too bad either. If an OM, MSU, UK type went this route, the worst case is 6-6 seasons with underperforming talent. That's not a bad bust given his upside.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They SHOULD hire Freeze but they won’t.

I would take a long look at Malzahn if I am them.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Why not just give Lane something like $12 million a year over 4 years? Super rich people love college football, have lots of money to spend and want to support a winner. Match the money offered by Auburn but with fewer years. Again, you don't have to worry about paying players in amateur athletics. Get the legislature to carve out some tax cut for income earned by supporting amateur athletics or something.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
At
Why not just give Lane something like $12 million a year over 4 years? Super rich people love college football, have lots of money to spend and want to support a winner. Match the money offered by Auburn but with fewer years. Again, you don't have to worry about paying players in amateur athletics. Get the legislature to carve out some tax cut for income earned by supporting amateur athletics or something.
At some point for these coaches money doesn't matter as much as it did. I think Kiffin is looking at where he has a better chance of winning a national championship.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I don’t think Coach Prime would be welcomed by a lot of their fanbase for the wrong reason. A lot of people I used to associate with showed their true colors when we hired Croom. I even knew a couple of MSU grads that swapped to OM because of the hire.
Maybe time has changed their hearts and they’d be more accepting now. My money says there’s still a large contingent of donors that like Ole Miss because of what it “represents”.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It doesn't matter who they hire. If he's bad, they'll fire him. If he's good, someone else will take him before he does anything of importance.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t think Coach Prime would be welcomed by a lot of their fanbase for the wrong reason. A lot of people I used to associate with showed their true colors when we hired Croom. I even knew a couple of MSU grads that swapped to OM because of the hire.
Maybe time has changed their hearts and they’d be more accepting now. My money says there’s still a large contingent of donors that like Ole Miss because of what it “represents”.
I guess if you're stupid enough to be that way you could be stupid enough to somehow miss that something like 70% of the players share the same skin color? Still seems a little implausible though. If they get a coach that is successful, I would bet more ole miss fans would be willing to be cuckolded by him than would be bothered by his skin color.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
What they're saying: Fickel and Rhule. But they don't have a shot at either of those guys.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
What they're saying: Fickel and Rhule. But they don't have a shot at either of those guys.
Fickel, you’re probably right. If he was looking to leave he’d have had options by now.
But where is Rhule going this year that’s better than the Ole Miss job?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Fickel, you’re probably right. If he was looking to leave he’d have had options by now.
But where is Rhule going this year that’s better than the Ole Miss job?
He doesn't have to go anywhere. Carolina is paying him $40 million not to coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login