If win toss-kick or defer Egg Bowl????

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Always kick. If you're down at halftime, you want the ball to start to cut into the lead. If you're up at halftime, you want the ball to prevent them from getting back into the game/extend the lead.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
This is not a debate with our team. Defer.

I can also nearly guarantee that Ole Miss scores a TD on their opening drive. Always do.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
If you "kick" then OM gets the ball in both halves. The correct answer is defer

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If you "kick" then OM gets the ball in both halves. The correct answer is defer

You had to bring this up. That’s about the only thing missing from our special teams blunder Bingo card this season. That being the case, I hope we just are told to say “receive” just to keep from 17ing it up.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
You had to bring this up. That’s about the only thing missing from our special teams blunder Bingo card this season. That being the case, I hope we just are told to say “receive” just to keep from 17ing it up.
Florida in 2000 at Scott Field won the toss and wanted to kick.
We got the ball first to start both halves that day.
Had a gator buddy of mine up from FL that weekend and other than golf on Friday and a great tailgate, it was not a good weekend for him Turned into one of the most fun games I’ve witnessed us play however.
That was also the 3rd and 57 game.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you defer and get a stop on defense you've set the tone for the game. If you go into half time with out the momentum you can gain it back by getting the first in the second. Is a line of thought to take ball first and burn clock limited their offensive possessions.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
If you defer and get a stop on defense you've set the tone for the game. If you go into half time with out the momentum you can gain it back by getting the first in the second. Is a line of thought to take ball first and burn clock limited their offensive possessions.

I agree with you. This is a tough question, which makes it good, I suppose. If defer, and give Ole Miss the ball, you do so knowing that they are usually really good on opening drives, under Kiffin and Lebby. They script it very well, go hyper-fast, and unless you get them off schedule, they’re likely to score. Obviously that can set an early tone, but MSU isn’t immune to playing from behind. But it’s obviously a gut punch to the home crowd, early. Especially if you stall offensively and all of a sudden Ole Miss is up 7-0 with the ball.

But.. you kick and then go get a stop, and that sets a monster early tone. And gives you a chance to take a commanding momentum advantage. When in doubt, I think deferring is always the right call. But I could see it both ways in this scenario.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I think if we win the toss we defer. If OM does they take the ball first.
Have to get the first series stop for the momentum in a game like this.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Would only receive if weather conditions were expected to get much worse over the next 1.5h. Otherwise defer

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A couple of times earlier in the season we won the toss and took the ball. I didn’t understand it then but lately we have deferred if we won the toss.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
A couple of times earlier in the season we won the toss and took the ball. I didn’t understand it then but lately we have deferred if we won the toss.

It has worked out beautifully in some of our recent games. We scored right before half and then on the first possession of the second half against Kentucky, Auburn, and Arkansas. Was a 10 to 14 point swing in each of those games.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I like to defer because I like the opportunity to potentially keep their offense off the field for a long time if we have a good drive to end the 1st half and start the second half, but it's really not that big of a deal either way. If we receive the opening kickoff and have a long, clock eating drive, so they get all pumped up and then their offense has to sit there while their defense is starting off with a demoralizing drive, that's great. If we defer and they score on the first possession and we come out after half time and go 3 & out, that's bad. At the end of the day, it's what the team does with it and I think very few games are really impacted by it.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
While deferring is the best option 99% of the time, OM's opening drives are usually their strongest. In addition, they will likely try some ******** trick play that gets them 30+ yards or a score.
It might be worth it to go ahead early if we can.
But as I type this, the first half is probably going to get wild and OM will likely find away to get ahead anyway. We know the Dogs can come back and OM usually gets tired and slow at the end of each game.
Maybe we defer... 17, who knows?
Just WIN THIS GAME!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
While deferring is the best option 99% of the time, OM's opening drives are usually their strongest. In addition, they will likely try some ******** trick play that gets them 30+ yards or a score.
It might be worth it to go ahead early if we can.
But as I type this, the first half is probably going to get wild and OM will likely find away to get ahead anyway. We know the Dogs can come back and OM usually gets tired and slow at the end of each game.
Maybe we defer... 17, who knows?
Just WIN THIS GAME!

All the more reason to defer. Let them go out there and shoot their wad early.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
Normally I would say defer but ole miss is a first half team and we are a 2nd half tea. if we receive, we would be somewhat limiting their 1st half offensive positions as best we can(theoretically).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Normally I would say defer but ole miss is a first half team and we are a 2nd half tea. if we receive, we would be somewhat limiting their 1st half offensive positions as best we can(theoretically).

Or we could go three and out and limit our possessions in the second half when we would presumably be stronger based on recent performances.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards defer. Coming out too hyped up can actually hurt our execution on offense more so than traditional offenses. Let our defense take the field when the crowd is going to be most hyped up. We know our offense won't play scared if they get behind, so I think that limits the potential risks of deferring.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login