If women's softball is any indicator of where we are headed with Replay.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I am really beginning to hate replays. We're gonna have to hire someone to sit at the sidelines or in the dugout to not do anything except look for any opportunities of how we can coach our games for every possibility of replay.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I guess I'm just missing the day when the umpire and a call by themselves and that's the way it was whether it was right or wrong. you can see the umpires are looking for replay to make the call for them so they gotten gun shy to make a call.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I guess I'm just missing the day when the umpire and a call by themselves and that's the way it was whether it was right or wrong. you can see the umpires are looking for replay to make the call for them so they gotten gun shy to make a call.
One consequence of replay is we're breeding a generation of timid officials. They're scared to make a call and far to quick to just rely on replay to sort it out. It's not a good situation.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The English Premier League is holding a vote to do away with their version, VAR. There is a very good chance it will be done away with.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
The English Premier League is holding a vote to do away with their version, VAR. There is a very good chance it will be done away with.
I wish. But I don’t see a chance in hell that passes.

Oct 31, 2014
In this day and age, with the technology we have, I have no idea why we still let middle-aged men call balls and strikes.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
In the world of replay my biggest pet peeve isn't that it takes too long, it's that every player immediately jumps up doing the earmuffs motion when any call (even if it's not that close) goes against them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The NBA and college basketball have gotten terrible with the amount of reviews as well.
And a lot of what's reviewed isn't even that significant to the outcome of the game. Need to only have reviews for calls challenged by a coach. Coach gets 2 challenges per game. If he's right, he doesn't lose a challenge. They'll quickly figure out which calls are worth reviewing and which ones aren't. Also, time limit on reviews. If call can't be clearly overturned within 1 minute, it stands.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
In the world of replay my biggest pet peeve isn't that it takes too long, it's that every player immediately jumps up doing the earmuffs motion when any call (even if it's not that close) goes against them.
I wonder what the overturn rate is? I can't hardly remember a play that's been overturned in baseball. Got to be less than 1 out of 3

Seems there are a lot that aren't even close. I guess the idea is you've got 2, so might as well use them at some point.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Does baseball have a Patty Gasso-like figure that can stare at an ump and will a replay and reversal into existence?

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Upon further review…..People will ***** about anything!
True. The thing about replay to me is it should be available for anything, balls and strikes too, only with limits to number of replays requested. That would make it real. Otherwise, by the stipulations of what can and can’t be replayed it doesn’t help. Nefarious, and mistakes, can still happen and you can’t replay, if they need them to happen, like making sure the preferred team wins the conference or something. Otherwise, I can’t stand replays. It should be all or none. They’re taking some fun and emotion out of sports with all these rule changes, for the most part, IMHO.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
And a lot of what's reviewed isn't even that significant to the outcome of the game. Need to only have reviews for calls challenged by a coach. Coach gets 2 challenges per game. If he's right, he doesn't lose a challenge. They'll quickly figure out which calls are worth reviewing and which ones aren't. Also, time limit on reviews. If call can't be clearly overturned within 1 minute, it stands.
I like that. Only thing I’d add is everything should be up for review. Limit the coaches numbers of challenges like you said but look at anything a cam catches.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I like that. Only thing I’d add is everything should be up for review. Limit the coaches numbers of challenges like you said but look at anything a cam catches.
They already do that with two coaches' challenges. After that, the officials have to decide if they want review.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They already do that with two coaches' challenges. After that, the officials have to decide if they want review.
Eliminate officials review without a challenge. If the coach doesn’t care enough to challenge a call, it’s a waste of time to review it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login