If you had a chance to compete in the Olympics but with another nation, would you?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If it was in something that you had no shot on the US team, yes. Of course you would have to have some sort of citizenship with the other country.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Would depend on the sport, Some these events are absolutely Bull Shat.
And it would depend on whether I had a relationship to the other county.
Some of this is simply an insult to sports.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think it would be kinda cool to be on Israel's or Ukraine's Shooting Team right about now. Hanging out with them and schit.
Justin Timberlake Idk GIF

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hell yes. The Olympic level poontang alone would be worth it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just curious.
I guess it'd be cool to be able to say you were an olympic athlete, but I'd feel a little dumb having to say which "sport" it was in for some of them. I don't know what "breaking" is? Is that break dancing? I assume you compete in the men's 20km walk while wearing a fanny pack? Canoe slalom or canoe sprint?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess it'd be cool to be able to say you were an olympic athlete, but I'd feel a little dumb having to say which "sport" it was in for some of them. I don't know what "breaking" is? Is that break dancing? I assume you compete in the men's 20km walk while wearing a fanny pack? Canoe slalom or canoe sprint?

20km walk - "I compete in cross country."
Canoe - "I compete in rowing."
Yes, breaking is break dancing. Not sure how to spin that one. Maybe something like: "It's like parkour, but you have to remain in a single spot."

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Had this conversation with my son last month. He was invited to try out for the national team in the country we live for Taekwondo (we're permanent residents but not citizens which isn't required).

I didn't know if he would since it wasn't for the US but he's going for it. He's lived here since age 7. It will be short lived since he plans to attend MSU in 2025.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Bigger question is after the opening ceremony and all the past politics and agendas by several of those “representing” the US are you even watching?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Absolutely. If I were a younger (and single) man, I’d do everything possible to get into the secks factory known as the Olympic Village.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Absolutely. If I were a younger (and single) man, I’d do everything possible to get into the secks factory known as the Olympic Village.
I can confirm that working security as a national guardsman around Olympic villages does not in anyway work to get you an invite to the secks factory. #ATL96.

It does get you some action in the co-ed guard dorms but those were absolutely not gold medal worthy.

No I wasn't responsible for security where the bomb went off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bigger question is after the opening ceremony and all the past politics and agendas by several of those “representing” the US are you even watching?
Very little. But that’s no different than the last 20 years. Too many sports I don’t care about and way too much getting to know the athletes stories.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If I had a connection to the country, I would definitely consider it.
So basically, if I lived and played pro basketball in Estonia and they asked me to become a naturalized citizen to play for the team, it'd be pretty damn tempting.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I can confirm that working security as a national guardsman around Olympic villages does not in anyway work to get you an invite to the secks factory. #ATL96.

It does get you some action in the co-ed guard dorms but those were absolutely not gold medal worthy.

No I wasn't responsible for security where the bomb went off.
Nothing wrong with silver.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Had this conversation with my son last month. He was invited to try out for the national team in the country we live for Taekwondo (we're permanent residents but not citizens which isn't required).

I didn't know if he would since it wasn't for the US but he's going for it. He's lived here since age 7. It will be short lived since he plans to attend MSU in 2025.

Update that sucks. Apparently citizenship is required for this particular national team. My son has been training for months specifically to try out (he was going to take a few months off after getting his black belt). This week, 2 weeks before the tryouts, the federation announced it would only be for citizens.

No conspiracy theories here but he hasn't lost a match in country (several were multi-country) since he's been competing in tournaments (2years).

Funny part is, he can try out for their Olympic team, just not this jr national team. He'll be gone back to MS in a few months so no big loss.

PS- does MSU have a martial arts club?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login