If you were looking for a way to help save the planet.......

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

Forecasting Our Future: Properly disposing pumpkins after Halloween can decrease methane emissions​

Forecasting Our Future: Proper Pumpkin Etiquette​

WAPT

Updated: 7:32 AM CDT Oct 22, 2022
Infinite Scroll Enabled

Christana Kay
Meteorologist

Play Video
SHOW TRANSCRIPT

GET LOCAL BREAKING NEWS ALERTS​

The latest breaking updates, delivered straight to your email inbox.
Your Email Address
SUBMIT
Privacy Notice

JACKSON, Miss. —

It's that time where families pick out the perfect pumpkin to carve for Halloween, but in a few weeks, that pumpkin will rot.
When disposing your pumpkin, you will need to think twice about where to put it.
An estimated 1 billion pounds of pumpkins are left to rot in landfills in the United States, releasing a type of greenhouse gas called methane into the air.
Methane is the same gas released from vehicles and cow manure and is the culprit for 20% of global carbon emissions.
Methane is over 20 times more efficient in trapping heat than Carbon Dioxide.
The rise in methane and CO2 has risen the average temperature by over a degree since 1880.
While that may not sound like a lot, this has caused 19 of the warmest years since 2000.
So how can you at home contribute to the decrease in methane emissions with just one pumpkin?
Here are four easy ways:
1) If your pumpkin has not yet rotten, you can roast the seeds or make sweet treats.
2) Compost your pumpkin as pumpkins are biodegradable. You can put the pumpkin in a compost bin or bury it without the seed. If you bury it with the seeds, expect a pumpkin farm to form for the next season. The pumpkin will enrich the soil for flowers and other vegetation.
3) Donate it. Check with local farmers and zoos to see if they would want it for composting or food for their animals.
4) Smash it or cut up the pieces (without the seeds) and scatter the pieces away from your home for wildlife to enjoy.
In 2021, the United States agreed to a global partnership to cut emissions of methane by 2030 to prevent significant environmental impacts of humans.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Pumpkins are green fertilizer and enrich the soil. This must have been written by a Claus Schwab bot who wants us to eat bugs
No kidding? Pumkins make good fertilizer? My Mom still works her garden and she's always putting all kinds of food waste in her garden. And her back yard kicks A$$.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
They now have their sights set on farmers and I guess we will grow food out of clean air. No joke look around and you will find at least two dozen stories on how farming is destroying our planet.
And I'm sure those ignorant SOB's discuss it at the damn dinner table too. Check out what's happening to Dutch Farmers these days. And now our own farmers are starting to see rumblings forcing them go green as if our food isn't already expensive enough. Those dubmasses will be fine with us all starving to death as long as there are no more cows and diseal tractors.

Oct 17, 2022
And I'm sure those ignorant SOB's discuss it at the damn dinner table too. Check out what's happening to Dutch Farmers these days. And now our own farmers are starting to see rumblings forcing them go green as if our food isn't already expensive enough. Those dubmasses will be fine with us all starving to death as long as there are no more cows and diseal tractors.
Once the midterm elections are over fuel prices are going to the moon. I expect them to really turn the screws soon.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'd guess there are not enough cows or pumpkins in the world to match the amount of methane released by the fat 17s that get worked up about a stupid article like this.

It's Alabama day fart patrol. Save your rage for tonight.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The earth is naturally producing a ton of methane on its own?m I guess we're gonna start trying to get rid of wetlands while we are chasing down those damn cow burps.

Wetlands

If carbon dioxide is an oven steadily roasting our planet, methane is a blast from the broiler: a more potent but shorter lived greenhouse gas that’s responsible for roughly one-third of the 1.2°C of warming since preindustrial times. Atmospheric methane levels have risen nearly 7% since 2006, and the past 2 years saw the biggest jumps yet, even though the pandemic slowed oil and gas production, presumably reducing methane leaks. Now, researchers are homing in on the source of the mysterious surge. Two new preprints trace it to microbes in tropical wetlands. Ominously, climate change itself might be fueling the trend by driving increased rain over the regions.

Oct 17, 2022
The earth is naturally producing a ton of methane on its own?m I guess we're gonna start trying to get rid of wetlands while we are chasing down those damn cow burps.

Wetlands

If carbon dioxide is an oven steadily roasting our planet, methane is a blast from the broiler: a more potent but shorter lived greenhouse gas that’s responsible for roughly one-third of the 1.2°C of warming since preindustrial times. Atmospheric methane levels have risen nearly 7% since 2006, and the past 2 years saw the biggest jumps yet, even though the pandemic slowed oil and gas production, presumably reducing methane leaks. Now, researchers are homing in on the source of the mysterious surge. Two new preprints trace it to microbes in tropical wetlands. Ominously, climate change itself might be fueling the trend by driving increased rain over the regions.
Yep, it’s just well funded brazen lies, propaganda. Academics who challenge the narrative get cancelled.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Wetlands

And we just upped our climate change budget by 60% to spend $45B on figuring this kinda crap out? More Solyndra Factories?

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
Meh, when it comes to eating and staying warm vs cause celebre, common sense eventually prevails, although it can be painful getting there. Spain, Poland and Dutch are starting to recognize that.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Meh, when it comes to eating and staying warm vs cause celebre, common sense eventually prevails, although it can be painful getting there. Spain, Poland and Dutch are starting to recognize that.

There's no need for the poor to suffer over this BS and THAT'S who gets kicked the worse. I will welcome the hell out of alternatives because I care about clean air and water; not the sky is falling hysterical blood money thirsty do gooders. I bet alternatives will be cost effective in the next 15-20 or so but until then, leave our budgets the hell alone and don't force this unneccessary inflated cost BS on me and others. We ain't going to die tomorrow or in 10 years.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
If you're looking for a reasonably sane take on climate change, check out "Kiss the Ground". If we composted more and built our topsoil back up we could sequester much of the carbon in the atmosphere. And do it without controlling the average citizen's behavior.

Reactions: patdog
Oct 17, 2022
If you're looking for a reasonably sane take on climate change, check out "Kiss the Ground". If we composted more and built our topsoil back up we could sequester much of the carbon in the atmosphere. And do it without controlling the average citizen's behavior.
have Another glass of the Kool Aid. It’s good for you

Reactions: Cantdoitsal
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login