Illinois' RB just opted out.......

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I guess he decided not to take the opportunity to increase his value....... as coach Saban would say.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
So for all the freaking out here a few weeks ago about our players opting out and entering the transfer portal because they “hate the offense” it has been Illinois who has been hit hard with the opt outs. Their top two cornerbacks and their running back have opted out and their DC accepted the head coaching position at Purdue and won’t coach the bowl game.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Gotta make the bowls mean something. How about the winner gets to take the best player from the loser!
But seriously, There needs to be a huge incentive placed on playing in the bowls. Since all the bowls have corporate sponsors, why can’t they pay out a sum to each player on the winner and a lower sum to each player in the loser. Swag bags are nice, but Cash is still King!

actually, there could be a minimum payout set to even host a Bowl to make sure they cover the player payouts. That would get rid of about 10-12 lower bowls right there.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
In the last week the spread has dropped from Illinois -2.5 to even. I expect us to be favored within the next week.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Gotta think that some players opt out thinking they might lose value in a bowl game. Maybe that's the advice their agent and others said to do.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
So for all the freaking out here a few weeks ago about our players opting out and entering the transfer portal because they “hate the offense” it has been Illinois who has been hit hard with the opt outs. Their top two cornerbacks and their running back have opted out and their DC accepted the head coaching position at Purdue and won’t coach the bowl game.
Which means we will likely lose by twenty.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Until the playoff system came along the Bowls didn't mean doodlely-squat either. It's not like the best teams ever played each other (rarely if ever) at seasons end under the old- old bowl system. It was an opportunity for the local Chambers of Commerce to make money and for kids to get rewarded for a good season.
The Media always picked the national champion and the only folks who gave a 17 were the one's rooting for the team that got selected.
Let the bowls be meaningless, let players opt out, let players/teams just go an have a good time. Fans can have fun or be bitch3rs about it.
Soon we're going to have a 12 team PLAYOFF and we don't ever have to pretend the other bowls meant anything beyond rewards and local revenue.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
And good luck to the Running Back. Hope he has a great pro career, but mostly I hope the team he abandoned has negative rushing yards in whatever the hell this bowl is called.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Sometimes it really amazes me just how much college football has changed since the days when I first sat in the stands cheering the Bulldogs on. Parts of it are really good. Parts of it are really screwy. I have to wonder how something like this might've affected those times. No, I'm not pinning for the good old days. I just wonder how things might've been different and if we would've been better or worse off.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
It seems like the Bowls could pay some NIL money to the players as an incentive to participate. But, if the players opting out are entering the draft there probably is not enough NIL money available to entice them.

Seems like all the players should get some cash beyond their gift bags, though.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
There he goes "Thanking God". You thank God in a prayer, on your knees, in private.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Well there is a pretty good chance these Illinois players did hate their offense.

Reactions: patdog

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Gotta make the bowls mean something. How about the winner gets to take the best player from the loser!
But seriously, There needs to be a huge incentive placed on playing in the bowls. Since all the bowls have corporate sponsors, why can’t they pay out a sum to each player on the winner and a lower sum to each player in the loser. Swag bags are nice, but Cash is still King!

actually, there could be a minimum payout set to even host a Bowl to make sure they cover the player payouts. That would get rid of about 10-12 lower bowls right there.
That makes too much sense. The only way to make these exhibition games mean anything is to let the players make 20% of what the conference makes off of it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login