I'm in the minority I'm sure...

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You’re in the minority. Like it or not, baseball is more important at Mississippi State than basketball is.
Yes, but like it or not, college baseball doesn't matter at all in most of the country. There are powerhouse teams that draw less than 1k for home games. College softball gets better TV ratings. Baseball is and always will be a professionally based sport.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
but I'm WAY more into what happens at Vanderbilt tonight than I am about the niche sport that is college baseball. College baseball is fun when we win but it just doesn't bother me like men's basketball or football does when we lose. That's just ME, my personal opinion.
100% with you. College baseball sucks as a national product. The only reasons fans love it here is because for decades it was the only sport we could consistently punch above .500. Basketball was king when I was at State, the baseball team was a joke. We’re back!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Looks like the makings of a long night. Vandy is getting away with murder in the defensive end.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes, but like it or not, college baseball doesn't matter at all in most of the country. There are powerhouse teams that draw less than 1k for home games. College softball gets better TV ratings. Baseball is and always will be a professionally based sport.
Which power programs draw less than 1,000 fans? Not that it matters. Baseball is more important than basketball at Mississippi State.

just look at what we did to the Dude a fews ago and what we’re doing to the Hump now. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You’re in the minority. Like it or not, baseball is more important at Mississippi State than basketball
Which power programs draw less than 1,000 fans? Not that it matters. Baseball is more important than basketball at Mississippi State.

just look at what we did to the Dude a fews ago and what we’re doing to the Hump now. It’s not even close.
If baseball is that important. We really need to raise ticket prices 200%. With the money that has been spent on baseball in the last 5 or so years, we need to be at a net profit of around $3M per year.

Last edited:

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
but I'm WAY more into what happens at Vanderbilt tonight than I am about the niche sport that is college baseball. College baseball is fun when we win but it just doesn't bother me like men's basketball or football does when we lose. That's just ME, my personal opinion.
FWIW........I'm the exact opposite of your preference.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Yes, you're in the minority.

Cbassreb

Oct 13, 2021

UCLA

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
So are you trying to convince State Baseball fans that their focus is futile and meaningless, because it is not a significant revenue sport?

your efforts are and will be in vain. I don’t value my rooting interest in college athletics based on revenue. Our main revenue sport at MSU has a historical losing overall record and a significant conference losing record in its history, so it’s not like all that revenue makes it better or more enjoyable to watch our football team play 7 home games, 12 overall games and historically lose 7 of the 12. Just how much money has our basketball program made since Stansbury left after expenses, salaries, and no major tourney appearances?

Meanwhile our Baseball program did the most rarest of feats for any MSU athletics program by not only making it to the Elite 8 of College Baseball, but also winning a National ( meaning better than all other baseball playing programs at this level ) Championship. You can poopoo on that fest all you want, but your precious clown show basketball program only came close to doing it once and hasn’t smelled the inside of an Elite 8 locker room since 1996. I also assume you sucked at baseball when you were young.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
100% with you. College baseball sucks as a national product. The only reasons fans love it here is because for decades it was the only sport we could consistently punch above .500. Basketball was king when I was at State, the baseball team was a joke. We’re back!
Just for the record, when were you at MSU when "the baseball team was a joke"?

Reactions: thekimmer and Dawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You’re probably in the minority but I am there with you. Baseball is not anywhere close to football and basketball for me and never has been.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Most of them on the west coast. In the grand scheme of things men's basketball is more important at MSU too, simply because it is a MUCH bigger sport. College baseball is a minor sport. There are places that draw BIG for lacrosse too. Most people couldn't tell you who is good at lacrosse, just like college baseball.
Just for the record, when were you at MSU when "the baseball team was a joke"?
Me, no. I was at MSU from 1981 to 1985.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Most of them on the west coast. In the grand scheme of things men's basketball is more important at MSU too, simply because it is a MUCH bigger sport. College baseball is a minor sport. There are places that draw BIG for lacrosse too. Most people couldn't tell you who is good at lacrosse, just like college baseball.

I don't follow or like Lacrosse, couldn't tell you how many are on the field or their positions but I know the main players in the sport - Johns Hopkins, UVA, ND, UNC, Syracuse, Navy, Duke, Maryland, University of Denver. If you're a college sports fan you know....

Reactions: patdog

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
MSU “baseball is king” fans are the 17ing worst. College baseball is so irrelevant. No one outside the SEC has a clue who won the CWS in 2021

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I am a rabid State fan because of college baseball. That being said, I am proud of what Jans and Purcell have turned around in basketball. I am very concerned about the direction of our baseball program-poor pitching, defensive blunders, and a lack of smart hitting.

Reactions: thekimmer

patdog

May 28, 2007
MSU “baseball is king” fans are the 17ing worst. College baseball is so irrelevant. No one outside the SEC has a clue who won the CWS in 2021
A lot of people inside the SEC don't know who won the baseball championship in 2021 either. But to be fair, I don't have a clue who won the college basketball championship last year either, and a lot of other people don't either.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Basketball chasing the NCAA Tourney is objectively far more important than nonconference baseball and it’s not close.
And yet, if you look at message board posts yesterday, here and other Mississippi State boards, baseball posts dwarf basketball posts, and it’s not close.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
We had a game at Vanderbilt today? I thought we were in Frisco, TX.

Reactions: patdog

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I will go deeper than the SEC, no one outside of MSU cares who won the CWS in 2021.
Maybe so... But I will say this: For those of us that like baseball AND like winning, having another season like last year is not fun. Most folks will agree with me that having a history of winning leads to a certain expectation. If we can't meet that, we need to consider a change.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login