I'm still holding out for the baseball team...............

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
.....it IS a long season and our hitting will only get better. Especially when Turner returns. Pitching, while certainly in trouble now, will see an improvement over time. we wont set the worl on fire, but we will make a Reg somewhere and who knows after that. If I recall, alot of ppl gave up on them last year. See how that worked out.

Fletch Fletcher

Sep 25, 2006
While I agree with your logic on why we should get better, our schedule is brutal.
3 of our next 4 SEC series:
@South Carolina
@Kentucky
Vanderbilt

All very very good teams. If we lose all 3 of those series, I don't know if we have the leadership to bounce back and salvage the season. We have virtually no upperclassmen that play the field. Who's going to be our everyday leader?</p>

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
"If I recall, alot of ppl gave up on them last year. See how that worked out."

Yeah, and I was one of them. Of course, I also gave up on them in 04, 05, and 06 so I'd say the odds are in your favor if you think we'll be average to below average.

On a related note, check out this statistic...this is amazing:

Grounded into DP
----------------
1. Mississippi State... 23
2. Ole Miss............ 12
3. Auburn.............. 10
4. Alabama............. 8
Georgia............. 8
Kentucky............ 8
7. LSU................. 7
South Carolina...... 7
Tennessee........... 7
10.Arkansas............ 5
11.Florida............. 3
Vanderbilt.......... 3

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
but using last year as an example is not a good one. Last year, through 1 SEC series, you were 12-4 (2-1).

This year, you are 8-9 (1-2). Your losses last year were to Michigan, Winthrop, Dallas Baptist, and Florida. So even though I do think you'll be much better, I do think that people have a right to complain and reason for concern.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
This year to last year is totally uncomparable. Heck, I can't think of one year in recent memory that you could compare this year too. I can't think of the last time we were under .500 overall after our first SEC series. And, as Fletch stated, our upcoming schedule isn't exactly easy. We have two tough series away from home and two tough series at home. We better win nearly ever OOC game we have left, avoid sweeps in SEC play, and take at least one of these upcoming series. If not I can't see us making a regional.

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
this early sucks for your team. Of course, you were pretty close to taking the series from us but USC and Vandy look to be better than OM right now. </p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
I'm not saying it is hopeless, but we are behind the 8 ball right now. We have a tough upcoming schedule. We cannot afford to take a sweep or drop some midweek games. Yeah, we may eventually become a decent team, but we need to do that sooner rather than later. By the time we come around it may be too late to make a regional.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That's my point cowbell. We're 13-5 (2-1) right now which is comparable to where you were last year at this point 12-4 (2-1). We do have some areas for concern. We're by no means where we need to be yet. However, if we were 9-9 (1-2) then I'd be highly worried. You're 8-9 (1-2), and while I think you'll improve as the season progresses, you've already dug a hole that will be tough to climb out of, so I don't blame some of your fans for being concerned. My original point was that this year's start for MSU is in no way comparable to last year's start. Last year, your team had a few things to complain about, but overall you still had an opportunity to do good things. This year, you're in a hole.

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
sport. Remember 17-0 two years ago? then the bottom fell out. I just dont think it is time for the chicken littles to come out. I mean ****, it gets earlier and earlier every year. If our team isnt 12-0 at the start then ppl start to freak the <17> out.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
I'm to busy enjoying the post season we're in to be much concerned about the poor start of the next sport.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
That being said, can you name the last time we had a start like this?

There's a difference in a poor start and a terrible start, particularly when the fanbase isn't used to seeing this from baseball. If anything we've come to expect that even if we have a rough SEC record we will at least win X number of games overall and be in a regional. This year that is in jeopardy and it bothers people.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I'm tryin' to hold some hope too and I do think we will get better but the pitching is really below where I thought it would be now. We need a Moreland to call on when the pitching needs bailing out. Hopefully Bowen's outing Sun wasn't a fluke but I'm not getting my hopes up.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
I dont think we are a Top 10 team right now. I think we are somewhere between 15-25. Good enough to possibly host a regional, but not good enough to host a Super, and we may win our regional but then go get blown out in a Super.

I just don't like this team. The offense isn't that great, and once you get past Lynn and Bittle, the pitching is very suspect. Satterwhite has been inconsistent, Baker seems to make a mistake an inning, and I still think Pomeranz may end up in the weekend rotation by years end.

A top 10 team, sweeps MSU after getting the first two games, but we put it on cruise control and looked like we were already happy with what we accomplished.

Also, a Top 10 team doesn't lose mid week games at the rate we are losing them, and these losses will end up costing us a chance to host a Super and may end up costing us a chance to host a Regional.

I think MSU simply lost too much from last year and the pitching, which was never great last year, simply hasn't improved. For MSU to have a chance to get to a Regional, they need Weatherford to get healthy in a hurry. He is an elite closer that can shorten the game. With Weatherford MSU only has to be leading after 7 innings, because Weatherford is that freaking good. I hope he gets healthy just enough for the pro scouts and leaves after this year.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I disagree. We may have been complacent on Sunday, but I don't think we'd have won Sunday's game regardless of how we played. Bowen was lights out, and it wasn't because our bats had cooled off. It was because he was just pitching that well and hitting his spots. That happens sometimes.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
when you don't do anything to try to steal, bunt, or hit and run. Those three things help you to stay out of those situations.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I'll agree with that, but I think it depends on your team. If you have a team that can hit for power, then stealing and bunting can actually be more of a waste. If you don't have much power, then stealing bases, bunting, and hit and runs are all things to do to help keep innings alive and create scoring opportunities.

When you have guys that can drive home a guy from first base, you don't need to risk the steal as often or give away an out with a bunt.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
I'm not trying to throw this team under the bus and I'm not trying to say "oh wait until next year," I am saying that we are legitamitely young. Look at the experience and the class of our starting 10 or 11 (outside of the pitchers), youth abounds. Connor Power, Mark Goforth, Russ Sneed, and Andy Rice have 1 year of SEC play under their belt. Always remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Think about the basketball team. I recall many folks pissing on them early on, now looking back you have jumped back on the wagon. Stay positive and pull for them.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Anyway, youth or not, injuries or not, there's no excuse for us being under .500. Our season isn't over yet, but they better get in gear soon because if we have a really bad stretch this next month it will be.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login