Imagine the 2 teams in the super bowl both had no salary cap

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's what's happening in college football right now, particularly in the SEC. There's no coaching or magic to it. The schools paying the players the most get the best players. Even I could coach them to the championship game and I don't know ****.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
AND the Super Bowl teams got the top picks in the draft every year AND all players only had 1 year contracts. THAT is college football right now.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's always been what college sports was about - the recruit gets to choose where to go (assuming the school offers, that is).

I will say they need to hurry up and get NIL under control so these boosters can't overtly just give blanket deals to certain teams' positions and what not, not to mention the recruiting end of it.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This stuff is going to kill FCS football.
How so? The more money that FBS makes the more it filters down to anyone who actually plays against FBS. And if they limit scholarships, FCS only gets better.

It might kill D2, D3 and JUCO. Transfer portal aids that. Not sure how any of those actually make money.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
How so? The more money that FBS makes the more it filters down to anyone who actually plays against FBS. And if they limit scholarships, FCS only gets better.

It might kill D2, D3 and JUCO. Transfer portal aids that. Not sure how any of those actually make money.
Sorry, typo, FBS football will be killed. This is the NFL with no salary caps and one season contracts. It's not going to do much to the lower divisions I don't think, if anything it may help them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's always been what college sports was about - the recruit gets to choose where to go (assuming the school offers, that is).

I will say they need to hurry up and get NIL under control so these boosters can't overtly just give blanket deals to certain teams' positions and what not, not to mention the recruiting end of it.

I wonder if the NIL is non profit if it can be a tax write off

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

NIL is new, jumping from one school to another without having to sit a year is new. Elite programs having essentially unlimited recruiting budgets with a crapload of internet info on just about every potential recruit in the nation and a 100 recruiting analysts working behind the scenes is relatively new. Its always been that the best programs get the majority of the talent but the concentration of talent into the few elite programs is WAY worse now than its ever been. Even if you cut scholarships the elite programs will still be the best programs but by forcing a few players that would have gone there out of HS to have to choose other programs you should essentially cut the talent gap a bit to make games more competitive which makes college football a better product overall. That's all anyone can realistically ask for. As long as college football players are also students they will always get to pick where they want to attend.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's not been going on to the extent it's headed to. There were some who would not participate because it was against the rules. That barrier is now removed.

Sure it has. And you're welcome to show me all the guys getting millions to play. You'll see a few make big money. Most will be about the same as it's been. You can go look at recruiting rankings since the P5 was created and it's basically the same teams at the top every year anyway. When someone like State jumps to the top few, let me know. Then I might agree.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
That's what's happening in college football right now, particularly in the SEC. There's no coaching or magic to it. The schools paying the players the most get the best players. Even I could coach them to the championship game and I don't know ****.

Colleges have salary caps. Its called cost of attendance. But they don't have caps on endorsement deals, and neither do the pros. Thats one reason why pro players like going to the bigger markets; they can get more side money.

The problem for college sports is open free agency with just 1 year deals. And no draft.

I love college sports dearly, but I've been waiting on this train wreck for decades.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
No it hasn't. Sure top players have been getting paid for years, but the number of players getting paid and the dollar amounts are about to go through the roof.

IDK, money is not unlimited. I don't know how much money players were paid under the table before NIL deals. I would be surprised to learn any college players were receiving millions, but I was surprised to see the amounts paid to Albert Means and then Cam Newton.

Anyway, a lot of this big money coming in is from legit sources that are making money from the NILs. To the extent boosters are paying players, that is less money they can donate to the booster club. There is a limit.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Sure it has. And you're welcome to show me all the guys getting millions to play. You'll see a few make big money. Most will be about the same as it's been. You can go look at recruiting rankings since the P5 was created and it's basically the same teams at the top every year anyway. When someone like State jumps to the top few, let me know. Then I might agree.

5 stars get around $500K unofficially and a few of the QBs with NIL deals will get over $1M more.

Albert Means from Memphis got $200K from Bama in 2001 before Saban got there 6 years later. 2001. What do you imagine they are paying in 2021, twenty years later? Less?

Yes you guessed it. Not as much as Georgia. Who also happened to be trying to recruit Means in 2001.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Without drastically changing the landscape of college sports by making athletes employees of the universities, the only change that can be made to even remotely have a chance at evening things out is limiting roster size and redistributing scholarships from football to another sport.

The current model is having its flaws exploited horribly right now and the non-top 5 fans and school associates are the only ones complaining.

And by limiting roster, I’m talking 60-70 max and a hard 18-20 recruiting cap each year and adjusting it to where there is no sandbagging. The problem is that it’s still money and fans wanting to control the lives of college age players.

The system has been flawed since before athletic scholarships were a thing. For any of you old timers or college football history types, how long ago was it that football teams were comprised of students that attended school for an education and tried out once they got on campus without being recruited because of their physical capabilities?

And please, anyone who thinks of mentioning drafts for college football recruits, think how dumb you sound before hitting the post button. Imagine if you or your kids were drafted into your future for life. You wouldn’t like it.

We suck again

Nov 16, 2016
Without drastically changing the landscape of college sports by making athletes employees of the universities, the only change that can be made to even remotely have a chance at evening things out is limiting roster size and redistributing scholarships from football to another sport.

The current model is having its flaws exploited horribly right now and the non-top 5 fans and school associates are the only ones complaining.

And by limiting roster, I’m talking 60-70 max and a hard 18-20 recruiting cap each year and adjusting it to where there is no sandbagging. The problem is that it’s still money and fans wanting to control the lives of college age players.

The system has been flawed since before athletic scholarships were a thing. For any of you old timers or college football history types, how long ago was it that football teams were comprised of students that attended school for an education and tried out once they got on campus without being recruited because of their physical capabilities?

And please, anyone who thinks of mentioning drafts for college football recruits, think how dumb you sound before hitting the post button. Imagine if you or your kids were drafted into your future for life. You wouldn’t like it.

If I was bama I would be all over limited scholarships. If your boosters are willing to buy 5 star athletes, scholarships don't matter. Once they're used up you just use NIL to buy as many elite walk ons as you can. It only hurts the schools that can only afford to give scholarships.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If I was bama I would be all over limited scholarships. If your boosters are willing to buy 5 star athletes, scholarships don't matter. Once they're used up you just use NIL to buy as many elite walk ons as you can. It only hurts the schools that can only afford to give scholarships.
He said "limiting the roster".

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
5 stars get around $500K unofficially and a few of the QBs with NIL deals will get over $1M more.

Albert Means from Memphis got $200K from Bama in 2001 before Saban got there 6 years later. 2001. What do you imagine they are paying in 2021, twenty years later? Less?

Means' coaches were asking for $200,000. 9 years later, Cecil Newton was asking for $200,000 Means would likely be a 4 year player while Cam only had 2 years at most, but I'm not sure under the table payments have the inflationary value you suggest.

I am curious what players are/were receiving under the table during their careers? Also curuous if that changed along with the transfer rules? The SMU case showed you don't want to be on the hook paying salaries for players who don't pan out, but once you have paid them they kinda own you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login