Imagine the conversation Arnett came home and had with his wife one night last December

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
“Well, honey, its kinda wild….they want me to be head coach!”

“Oh baby! I can’t believe it! So…you get a big raise?!?!”

“Yeah! If I do a good job, I get like $12 million over 4 years”

“OMG…..Babe!”

“But there’s more…even if I totally suck, I still get $7.6 million no matter what. And I get almost all of it by the end of November!”

“Wow! So, I’m no math whiz, but how do we do that 2nd option?”

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
“Well, honey, its kinda wild….they want me to be head coach!”

“Oh baby! I can’t believe it! So…you get a big raise?!?!”

“Yeah! If I do a good job, I get like $12 million over 4 years”

“OMG…..Babe!”

“But there’s more…even if I totally suck, I still get $7.6 million no matter what. And I get almost all of it by the end of November!”

“Wow! So, I’m no math whiz, but how do we do that 2nd option?”
The numbers are wrong here

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He’s owed half of his contract (4 years/$3m per) and he’s coached a year, so he’s owed $4.5m, minus whatever he makes in next job

it’s a very friendly deal to the university
Uh yeah….He’s owed $4.5 million, plus the $3.1 million for this season, too. What’s that add up to?

Its only a friendly deal for the university if you compare it to other head coaches in the SEC….all of which are actually qualified to be head coaches in the SEC. We’re still paying $4.5 million in buyout money to a guy who was never qualified for the job he got in the first place. Its therefore a far more friendly deal for Arnett than it is for the school.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Uh yeah….He’s owed $4.5 million, plus the $3.1 million for this season, too. What’s that add up to?

Its only a friendly deal for the university if you compare it to other head coaches in the SEC….all of which are actually qualified to be head coaches in the SEC. We’re still paying $4.5 million in buyout money to a guy who was never qualified for the job he got in the first place. Its therefore a far more friendly deal for Arnett than it is for the school.
We had to hire a HC in the most inconvenient time the was on the calendar. We gambled on a guy that would hopefully keep the roster in tact and recruiting in tech, which he did on both. There was no national market for our job at the time. So we gamble and lost hit set ourselves up to be able to cut bait quickly and live on, which we will do in short time

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We had to hire a HC in the most inconvenient time the was on the calendar. We gambled on a guy that would hopefully keep the roster in tact and recruiting in tech, which he did on both. There was no national market for our job at the time. So we gamble and lost hit set ourselves up to be able to cut bait quickly and live on, which we will do in short time

Never said any of that wasn’t true. But don’t act like Arnett isn’t making out like a bandit. $7.6 million is a pretty nice payday for 10 months of extraordinarily poor performance. He was in the right place at the right time to catch a windfall.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Agreed. There is no such thing as a university friendly deal that involves paying someone $4.5m to go away

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login