Impactful Weather Starting Tonight

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
A late season hard freeze is expected tonight and especially into Monday night. Temps tonight into Sunday morning will be in the mid to upper 20's for the Starkville area and into the lower 20's Sunday night into Monday morning. Thereafter temps start to moderate as a storm system approaches the area Friday. While deep layer shear looks to be in place there are some timing differences among the models which will affect the level of moisture return. That said, a severe weather event is possible sometime next weekend so wanted to give a heads up. Still plenty of time to watch and see how this system comes together. No threat area has been highlighted for us by the SPC yet, but in their morning update they did say:

Severe-weather potential will likely persist, and potentially increase, into Day 7/Friday across the ArkLaTex and Lower Mississippi Valley. While guidance variability precludes a specific areal delineation at this time, severe storms appear probable across these general regions and risk areas will likely subsequently be warranted.

https://www.patreon.com/NMSCAS

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Seems like every time I push the envelope in getting a few things out in the veggie garden, I end up working my azz off to get them through a cold night or three. I'll be covering up little pea plants the next two nights.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s a bunch of corn that’s about to be wrecked. Maybe some wheat too if it’s far enough along.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
planted a lot of sod over the last couple of weeks. Fuckk
Don't know where your are but sod will be fine assuming you are in even N MS. Ground temps won't freeze no lower than we're going in the next 3 nights and sun will warm it during the day.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
What do farmers putting in crops before last frost dates look at to determine when to roll the dice??
8 ball no GIF by Yevbel

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What do farmers putting in crops before last frost dates look at to determine when to roll the dice??

Historical data. A freeze like this in the central and southern part of the state is pretty late and in most years you can roll with it and be ok. Obviously the farther north you go the later the dates. We don’t usually start planting corn here until the last week of March into April.

Wheat freeze damage is just bad luck. You plant the wheat in the fall on time but if you get a mild spell in late winter and the wheat gets a head start on growing you might get a late freeze and hurt it. Just the risk you take. We had a late freeze like that here in I think maybe 2006 I remember right. It was a warm February so the wheat grew off faster than usual and got wrecked. Killed a bunch of corn too that had started coming up.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Historical data. A freeze like this in the central and southern part of the state is pretty late and in most years you can roll with it and be ok. Obviously the farther north you go the later the dates. We don’t usually start planting corn here until the last week of March into April.

Wheat freeze damage is just bad luck. You plant the wheat in the fall on time but if you get a mild spell in late winter and the wheat gets a head start on growing you might get a late freeze and hurt it. Just the risk you take. We had a late freeze like that here in I think maybe 2006 I remember right. It was a warm February so the wheat grew off faster than usual and got wrecked. Killed a bunch of corn too that had started coming up.

Gotcha

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I guess this will wipe out this years acorn crop too? All the oak’s except for the white oak’s have already bloomed out around here. That won’t help come deer season since we don’t have any white oaks on our place.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Jackson NWS saying they expect the SPC to issue a threat outlook for Friday. GFS continuing to show another severe threat that Sunday. All remains to be seen.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login