Importance of the Egg Bowl

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
The thread earlier about the consistency of our SEC record since 2009 (either three or four SEC wins in 12 of the 14 years since Mullen arrived) got me wondering about how the Egg Bowl impacts our league standing each year.

Going back to 1972 (the first season both schools had integrated football teams), the team that has won the Egg Bowl has finished higher in the SEC 45 of the last 51 years. Admittedly, I am factoring in head-to-head results when determining who finished higher. The years in green below represent seasons when the two schools had identical SEC records, in which case I listed the Egg Bowl winner as having finished higher in the SEC.

And I think this has been mentioned before but we've finished higher than OM in the SEC standings in 10 out of the last 13 years.

Interestingly enough (at least to me), in the six seasons where the Egg Bowl winner still finished lower in the SEC standings, it was OM four times... **which obviously means they care more about beating us than they do about where they finish in the SEC.**

1688073686204.png

Last edited:

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
It's interesting to me that we've finished with the same record 9 times, and since 2000 we have finished ahead of them 12 times to OM's 11 times. The series has been a lot tighter in recent history despite us being "little brother"

Reactions: FQDawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I have to share this. I linked to the show's end, so you don't have to watch the Travaris Banks analysis. He finishes his show with a segment about how Egg Bowl recruiting is dead because State can't keep up with Ole Miss in NIL. The rivalry is over. Banks isn't just another recruit. He is the one that ended the rivalry.

Check the date. We literally got commits from three 4-star in-state recruits a few hours after he posted this video. And another 4-star commitment out of Florida a few days later. I don't put a lot of stock in June commitments, but it was hilarious timing. He posted another video later that day saying that we bought a commitment announcement just for a PR win. Sorry, that seems like something Ole Miss would do. He might be projecting. They have such little self-awareness.

No matter how even to slightly favoring State the on-field results are, Ole Miss fans know that eventually, their superiority will finally show up on the scoreboard and put an end to the rivalry.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I have to share this. I linked to the show's end, so you don't have to watch the Travaris Banks analysis. He finishes his show with a segment about how Egg Bowl recruiting is dead because State can't keep up with Ole Miss in NIL. The rivalry is over. Banks isn't just another recruit. He is the one that ended the rivalry.

Check the date. We literally got commits from three 4-star in-state recruits a few hours after he posted this video. And another 4-star commitment out of Florida a few days later. I don't put a lot of stock in June commitments, but it was hilarious timing. He posted another video later that day saying that we bought a commitment announcement just for a PR win. Sorry, that seems like something Ole Miss would do. He might be projecting. They have such little self-awareness.

No matter how even to slightly favoring State the on-field results are, Ole Miss fans know that eventually, their superiority will finally show up on the scoreboard and put an end to the rivalry.
I am going to bookmark that and hope they forget to take it down. It won't age well and will be fun to go back and watch. Not as much fun as the Auburn Gameday Bunker from 2014, but still entertaining.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

100% chance that literal neckbeard goes around calling MSU rednecks and cow college to his buddies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

More money is always the answer.

Oh, wait! I thought you were talking about Bama, Ohio State, Texas, and AtM amounts of money. Not Ole Miss level.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I am going to bookmark that and hope they forget to take it down. It won't age well and will be fun to go back and watch. Not as much fu
I am going to bookmark that and hope they forget to take it down. It won't age well and will be fun to go back and watch. Not as much fun as the Auburn Gameday Bunker from 2014, but still entertaining.

n as the Auburn Gameday Bunker from 2014, but still entertaining.

Watched bits & pieces then the final 10 minutes and enjoyed the AU delusional butt hurt. Who was #50 on our D dude kept referencing?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Speaking of Jack Crowe, this is also a good one. He says that Arkansas is twice the program of State and Ole Miss.

It's nice to hear Coach Crowe's take, but let's check the objective facts:

since 2012SEC recordvs. Arkansas
State42-488-3
Ole Miss39-505-6
Arkansas23-67n/a

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just finish top 25 in recruiting every year wild signing 4 to 6 four and five stars. What mean by 4 and 5 star is rated that by at least one rating service. If you look at 247 technically, we have six four stars. Do that and Ole Miss and us will be 50/50 on wins. Another problem Ole Miss has is all the portal guys. As long as they go heavy in the portal as they are their team will not view the Egg Bowl as a rival. The fans will and they will stay pissed off. Bunch of rented mules from other states that could not make it on the team they left, will not play hard like it is a rival. I suspect as long as Kiffin is there and his philosophy on recruiting stays the same we will win move egg bowls than lose. Plus, his pay book is a book of trickery, and those tricks have all been played by the time the egg bowl comes around. It just a bunch of family reunion front yard football plays. They couldn't do jack to our defense last year. Only reason it was close was stupid turnovers.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yep, that is the one that will always bother me. Mullen just quit on the team even in his best year.
I don't think he was playing the Bama game to win. He was just wanting to keep it close to stay in top four.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

I still can't believe I left that game at halftime

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I don't think he was playing the Bama game to win. He was just wanting to keep it close to stay in top four.
In the 4th quarter, it seemed like it. Needing 2 scores, we dinked and funked our way down the field with no apparent sense of urgency. Bama was happy to let us waste time, even though we scored.

In later years Mullen would talk about only losing that game by 5.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How do people come up with garbage like this?
Watch the ending of the game. You can find it on You Tube. He went into the game trying to win but when it became obvious it was going to be hard to win, he did not try to win. He just wanted to keep it close in order to stay in top 4. Believe what you want, and I will believe what I want. It would have worked but he laid an egg in the Egg Bowl.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Watch the ending of the game. You can find it on You Tube. He went into the game trying to win but when it became obvious it was going to be hard to win, he did not try to win. He just wanted to keep it close in order to stay in top 4. Believe what you want, and I will believe what I want. It would have worked but he laid an egg in the Egg Bowl.
You must have watched a different game than I did. We scored more points in the 4th quarter than the other 3 quarters combined.

Reactions: bolddogge

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll believe what I want, and you will be wrong.

These are the reasons we lost that game:

- Bama was just fired up, at home, in front of a great crowd, which was a big factor in how they got up 19-0;
- Dak's redzone picks, which cost him the Heisman;
- We failed to stop Blake Sims on 2 (maybe 3?) consecutive 3rd and longs, and had we gotten the ball back then, we probably score, as we played much better in the second half of the game.

This, especially my third point, totally renders your opinion wrong. You dink and dunk against Bama because you HAVE to.....they were an elite defensive team.

Don't be dumb, man. And further, beating them was going to be our ONLY shot to make the playoff, not to mention win the SEC West. We weren't getting in after the Egg Bowl, anybody with sense knew that, assuming the chalk held (which it did).

Bama was our shot, and we blew it. Just like 1999. But it wasn't for lack of trying. It was a hard game against a motivated opponent on the road.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
- We failed to stop Blake Sims on 2 (maybe 3?) consecutive 3rd and longs, and had we gotten the ball back then, we probably score, as we played much better in the second half of the game.

It felt like 5 or 6 in a row. I was losing my mind. Defensively we shut those plays down, but couldn't catch him. IT was definitely at least 3.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I'll believe what I want, and you will be wrong.

These are the reasons we lost that game:

- Bama was just fired up, at home, in front of a great crowd, which was a big factor in how they got up 19-0;
- Dak's redzone picks, which cost him the Heisman;

This, especially my third point, totally renders your opinion wrong. You dink and dunk against Bama because you HAVE to.....they were an elite defensive team.

Don't be dumb, man. And further, beating them was going to be our ONLY shot to make the playoff, not to mention win the SEC West. We weren't getting in after the Egg Bowl, anybody with sense knew that, assuming the chalk held (which it did).

Bama was our shot, and we blew it. Just like 1999. But it wasn't for lack of trying. It was a hard game against a motivated opponent on the road.
Here's why I think your opinion is wrong with respect to the fourth quarter of that game.

We scored right at the start of the 4th quarter to pull within 6. Bama, feeling a little pressure for the first time all game, goes on a 15 play drive to push their lead up to 12.

There was like 8 minutes left in the game. We go on an excruciatingly slow drive that ends with a Prescott interception. Bama then goes 3 and out, but they were just running the clock.

We get the ball back with just over 3 minutes to play, and go on ANOTHER excruciatingly slow drive until we finally score on 4th and goal with 15 seconds left in the game.

I'm not really saying Mullen was satisfied keeping the game close, but on that last drive in particular he was not calling the plays necessary to try to win. He just wasn't. 2 minute drill typeplays might not have worked, but you have to try something in that situation.

Mullen did the same thing in a couple of games while coaching Florida, so maybe that's just his style. But it really irked me when he would brag about only losing to BAMA by 5 that year.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
It's interesting to me that we've finished with the same record 9 times, and since 2000 we have finished ahead of them 12 times to OM's 11 times. The series has been a lot tighter in recent history despite us being "little brother"
The series has been extremely tight since the SEC first expanded in 1992. If you look back at Egg Bowl results from any cumulative set of five year periods dating back to when Arkansas and South Carolina joined, we've either won more Egg Bowls than them or, at worst, won the same amount.

1688151894394.png

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
At least that was a good om team. Their 2017 team was awful. We beat them by 35 the year before and Moorhead beat them by 32 a year later.

No game ever exposed what an overrated, piece of crap DC Todd Grantham was more than that game or that 2017 season in general.

Ole Miss ran 54 offensive plays in that game. 50 of them went for a total of 147 yards….2.94 yards per play….zero touchdowns. They only had 11 first downs in the game. 2 for 12 on 3rd down. But they still scored 31 mother17ing points, because on the other 4 plays they gained a total of 208 yards, scored 4 TD’s, and would have gotten the exact same results even if it was 2-hand touch due to how poorly we were aligned and set up personnel wise against those calls. 2 of them were just runs right up the middle. If each of those 4 plays was run from their own 1 yard line, every one would have been a 99 yard TD.

Every single one of the key players from next season’s number 1 team in the nation was on the field all night. Just flat out inexcusable that we didn’t win that game by 2+ TD’s even with the Fitz injury. And it was all on Grantham.

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
No game ever exposed what an overrated, piece of crap DC Todd Grantham was more than that game or that 2017 season in general.

Ole Miss ran 54 offensive plays in that game. 50 of them went for a total of 147 yards….2.94 yards per play….zero touchdowns. They only had 11 first downs in the game. 2 for 12 on 3rd down. But they still scored 31 mother17ing points, because on the other 4 plays they gained a total of 208 yards, scored 4 TD’s, and would have gotten the exact same results even if it was 2-hand touch due to how poorly we were aligned and set up personnel wise against those calls. 2 of them were just runs right up the middle.

Every single one of the key players from next season’s number 1 team in the nation was on the field all night. Just flat out inexcusable that we didn’t win that game by 2+ TD’s even with the Fitz injury. And it was all on Grantham.
Fact. The only thing worse than that was Moorhead making him look like a defensive wizard 10 months later

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login