In 2.5 weeks, there’s no more SEC West…

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
…at least in football.

It’s kind of wild to think about, actually, but one thing I did start to ponder was if that has any effect on the attractiveness of the State head coaching gig.

I was reading some analysis where Shane Beamer was being discussed as a candidate for the State job and it said (almost as if it was just conventional wisdom) that State was a harder job than South Carolina, but I think that’s largely predicated on the idea that State is located in the SEC West, which stops being a thing after December 2, 2023.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
…at least in football.

It’s kind of wild to think about, actually, but one thing I did start to ponder was if that has any effect on the attractiveness of the State head coaching gig.

I was reading some analysis where Shane Beamer was being discussed as a candidate for the State job and it said (almost as if it was just conventional wisdom) that State was a harder job than South Carolina, but I think that’s largely predicated on the idea that State is located in the SEC West, which stops being a thing after December 2, 2023.
I think it’s the fact that while we are in a great recruiting area we are also next door to Bama, LSU and Auburn. And we are one of two sec schools in our state. Hell Columbia metro alone will hit a million people soon. That doesn’t hurt.

Reactions: Dawgg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Missouri has one or two good teams every 10 years. Bama has one every year. Going forward we will have at least one of the following each year, Texas, OU, Bama, GA and LSU. If lucky we might get one season without one of them every once in a while.

Reactions: Dawgg

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I never really thought about it like that, but there might be something to it. I do think it clearly lowers our chances of getting into the SCCG on any given year. Under the new system, Florida would have played UT in the 1998 SECCG, rather than us sneaking in the back door.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wish they would take the SEC championship game with them.

And they will, one day, when they expand the playoff again.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I never really thought about it like that, but there might be something to it. I do think it clearly lowers our chances of getting into the SCCG on any given year. Under the new system, Florida would have played UT in the 1998 SECCG, rather than us sneaking in the back door.
I dunno. You replace Bama with any SEC East team in 2014 and we likely would have been in. In 2010, we only lost to SEC West teams and were better than every team in the SEC East. In 1999, replace Bama or Arkansas with an East team, who knows?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think it’s the fact that while we are in a great recruiting area we are also next door to Bama, LSU and Auburn. And we are one of two sec schools in our state. Hell Columbia metro alone will hit a million people soon. That doesn’t hurt.
That’s true, but I can’t help but think having a recent 2X National Champion in your state is more daunting than Ole Miss.

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
How has it helped with $$$? The $$$ we get from the SEC is the same as what Missouri and Vandy receive.
More of a reference to just be able to remain in the SEC.

I do think during the early years of Saban's run, our program embraced the underdog mentality and caused a large buy-in across the board. Impossible to know if we would have created the same style in the East.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Bebe Rexha Its About Damn Time GIF by 2022 MTV Video Music Awards

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login