In honor of baseball water season…..

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
And I don’t think we’ve had one of these discussions in a couple of years but what’s your favorite IPA or Pale Ale beers to drink while watching some MSU Baseball or grilling out or both??
My go to seems to be Laganuitus IPA,
Bells Two Hearted Ale, Abita Big Easy IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Fairhope Brewing 5150 Pale Ale, Cigar City IPA, Dogfish 60 minute IPA and Good People IPA although this one is a bit heavy on the ABV and bitterness.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Bells, Sculpin (hadn't seen it around in a while), Dogfish 90, Tunnel Vision, Hoof Hearted Brewing's $120 Nachos and Who'd Like To Hold My Clipboard? are outstanding IPAs but it's hit or miss finding them down South - even in Atlanta.

Last edited:

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I have not seen sculpin outside of the San Diego Metro area...Ballast Point is a dang fine brew though

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I've been on a Timber Beast from Lazy Mag kick lately. Very smooth for a IIPA

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Some of my fave IPAs: Preternatural Ambiance (Burial Beer Co), Disciplines of Agony (Burial), Orange Cream Pop (Decadent Ales), Trickster (Green Man Brewery), Perceptions of Carnage (Burial), All Abou the Wordplay (Abomination Brewing Company), Trail Mojo (Booneshine Brewing Co), Riding into the Heart of Hell (Burial), Gang of Blades (Burial), Lords of the Roost (Burial).
Obviously, my favorite brewery is Burial in Asheville, NC. This time of the year is all about stouts though...

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Had some business travel in Iowa this week, and they had Big Grove’s Easy Eddy at a lot of places. It has a hazy look and flavor not unlike some wheat beers, so it may not be for everyone, but I thought it was excellent

I’ve been trying to get my hands on a 6-pack of Austin’s Broken Skull for years, but there’s no distribution to Arkansas right now

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
I love me some IPA's - my beer frig has Dogfish 60, Bells two-hearted, Fathead's Headhunter double, and Stone in it now. But for beisbol water they're a bit much so I drink Landshark just so I can piss it away.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Bud Light. Downvote away.

To quote the great B.B. King, "If it ain't Natural, it ain't right."

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
Come on, guys. Shop local. Start the day with SoPro's Devil's Harvest, a breakfast IPA (only 4.9% abv). Ease through the afternoon with Lil Smack by Chandeleur Island Brewery (6.5%). Shift into high gear for the evening with SoPro's Crowd Control (8%) and Lazy Magnolia's rye-based Timberbeast (9%). All good beers, brewed right here in the 'Sip.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Freemason Ale by Chandeleur would fit right there with Lil Smack around lunchtime

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Two Hearted. . .

And I don’t think we’ve had one of these discussions in a couple of years but what’s your favorite IPA or Pale Ale beers to drink while watching some MSU Baseball or grilling out or both??
Bells Two Hearted Ale, Abita Big Easy IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Fairhope Brewing 5150 Pale Ale, Cigar City IPA, Dogfish 60 minute IPA and Good People IPA although this one is a bit heavy on the ABV and bitterness.

Love Southern Prohibition Devil's Harvest in the light category as well as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (classic and now very underrated).
A couple of Good People Snake Handlers when you want to fall asleep in the 5th inning.

Edited to add Ghost in the Machine and Envie (especially the DDH version) from Parish.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You guys should have an alumni weekend and everyone drink the Beast to remind us all of our college days

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I really like Wisacre's Ananda and Cigar City's Jai Alai. A local Jacksonville brewery Intuition has a good one, too, I-10 IPA.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Not a single one of these tastes great AND less filling!

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Miller Lite here. It’s funny how my Bud, Coors, Natty, Busch and Miller friends used to talk smack to each other and now we are unified against the beer snobs.

Same here.

I drink two beers: 1) Miller Lite; and 2) free beer.

Just got back from the grocery with a case of Miller Lite cans, so I'm fully prepared for Super Bowl Sunday.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I'm a life long beer drinker and I'm not really a fan of the Light beers either but I just can't drink an IPA. They just taste awful to me. I'm currently alternating Suzy B' s from Southern Prohibition and Freemasons from Chadeluer as I cook chicken on the grill tonight. Dos Equis is my regular go to beer and yellow can Coors is my back up. About twice a year I get a hankering for a 32oz Miller High Life.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You guys should have an alumni weekend and everyone drink the Beast to remind us all of our college days

Wouldn't be the Beast, it would be Shafer Light or Old Style for me. If I'd gotten my allowance that week it might include a six pack of Strohs.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I'm a life long beer drinker and I'm not really a fan of the Light beers either but I just can't drink an IPA. They just taste awful to me. I'm currently alternating Suzy B' s from Southern Prohibition and Freemasons from Chadeluer as I cook chicken on the grill tonight. Dos Equis is my regular go to beer and yellow can Coors is my back up. About twice a year I get a hankering for a 32oz Miller High Life.
May want to try a Sam Adams Boston Lager as a pretty dang good bridge between a Lite beer and a Pale Ale or IPA.
S Adams use to have a Noble Pils as well back in like 2010-2013 but haven’t seen it in years but it may have been their best ever beer.
Also Sweetwater Brewery has a good IPA but now I think it’s a little too citrusy/lemon flavor for my taste

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
May want to try a Sam Adams Boston Lager as a pretty dang good bridge between a Lite beer and a Pale Ale or IPA.
S Adams use to have a Noble Pils as well back in like 2010-2013 but haven’t seen it in years but it may have been their best ever beer.
Also Sweetwater Brewery has a good IPA but now I think it’s a little too citrusy/lemon flavor for my taste
I like Boston Lagers, it’s a little heavy to drink all day though. I’m really a fan of their Cold Snap seasonal.

EngDawg

Mar 29, 2016
Come on, guys. Shop local. Start the day with SoPro's Devil's Harvest, a breakfast IPA (only 4.9% abv). Ease through the afternoon with Lil Smack by Chandeleur Island Brewery (6.5%). Shift into high gear for the evening with SoPro's Crowd Control (8%) and Lazy Magnolia's rye-based Timberbeast (9%). All good beers, brewed right here in the 'Sip.
Lil Smack and Timber Beast are excellent beers. The SoPro IPAs are average at best though.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Love Southern Prohibition Devil's Harvest in the light category as well as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (classic and now very underrated).
A couple of Good People Snake Handlers when you want to fall asleep in the 5th inning.

Edited to add Ghost in the Machine and Envie (especially the DDH version) from Parish.

Like that the Snake Handler is 9-10% but don't care for the grapefruit. Sierra's Torpedo Extra IPA is very good. As is Ghost in the Machine. Have not had Envie.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Originally Posted by Hot Rock
I am Blue Moon fan. Love the stuff, orange slice and all.

This all the way.

Y'all being fans of Blue Moon with an orange slice might like Harpoon's UFO Georgia Peach. It's a seasonal that runs June -Sept. Had been only an IPA guy for 20 yrs until I tried this one two years ago....Just an awesome summer beer. Bought 8 cases end of summer '20. It kept well and got me through till last July.

View attachment 23857

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login