In our last 5 games - we are 4-1...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Running yard/game = 80.6

First 6 games = 46.83

I think we can see what makes the difference.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've been saying for 2 years we have to at least have a credible threat of a running game to be successful in the SEC. I think you could also run a similar comparison for yards per attempt or completion and see the same result.

Aug 22, 2012
Running yard/game = 80.6

First 6 games = 46.83

Pretty reductive argument. We obviously are going to run more when we have the lead. So we’ll probably always have more running yards on a win streak than on a losing one. Doesn’t mean running is what makes the difference between wins and losses.

I’d say, without looking, the real stat that makes sense of our success is turnover margin.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Let's look at the 3 games we won out of our first 5...

65, 22, and 30. 39 ypg.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I've been saying for 2 years we have to at least have a credible threat of a running game to be successful in the SEC. I think you could also run a similar comparison for yards per attempt or completion and see the same result.

Our young backs are getting more experience. They have now learned to hit the hole, make a cutback, and miss some tackles. Their growth has been impressive this season.

The only problem with this is the expectation of some of our fans. Under Leach, we are NEVER going to be "balanced" and we aren't going to have 150-200 yard rushing games. It just is what it is. Some of our people need to get over it and realize that the smashmouth way we tried to do it for 100 years didn't really work out all that well.

Yea yea, somebody is going to retort that it worked out for Jackie. Yea it did, sometimes. But wouldn't our success have been a LOT greater if we had had at least competent QB play?

Never EVER in our history have we had a 4000 yard passer or a 30 pass TD passer until today. Now, think back to the 90s and 2000s, after Florida showed the world that you CAN pass in football, and think of all the programs that have achieved that goal. We were left SO far behind in modern offensive football that it wasn't even funny.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My hypothesis is he rarely runs the ball with a lead or behind. He's adjusting some and we're seeing results.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Running yard/game = 80.6

First 6 games = 46.83

The option to run has ALWAYS been baked into the offense. Will is just getting more comfortable taking that option when it presents itself. And yes, it has definitely helped our offense maintain drives, which is the obvious desired outcome.

Anyone who hasn't read "Swing Your Sword" by Mike Leach seriously, SERIOUSLY needs to. He covers his offensive philosophies quite well in that book. I've seen nothing to date that tells me he thinks any differently today than he did when he wrote it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty reductive argument. We obviously are going to run more when we have the lead. So we’ll probably always have more running yards on a win streak than on a losing one. Doesn’t mean running is what makes the difference between wins and losses.

I’d say, without looking, the real stat that makes sense of our success is turnover margin.

I don't think we're running more because we have the lead. Before, defenses were mostly dropping 8 and rushing 3 and we were not taking advantage of that by running against a 3 man front. I think we're running more because Will has gotten better at adjusting at the line of scrimmage and also our backs are getting better, so we are taking advantage when people are essentially daring us to run. I don't think Leach has really changed his philosophy. He wants to put pressure on every part of the defense and then take what the defense gives. We just weren't good enough before to run when we should for the yards we should.

Aug 22, 2012
My hypothesis is he rarely runs the ball with a lead or behind. He's adjusting some and we're seeing results.

Well you're wrong. He's not adjusting. You're taking one stat and building a whole theory around it.

I went and looked. We ran the ball 22 times against UK and haven't approached that many attempts since. Even against TSU.

What's happening is that we are winning the turnover battle in every one of those games except TSU (where honestly it doesn't really matter). That's the difference.

If you want to convince yourself that Mike Leach is experiencing success lately because he's finally come around to patdog's way of thinking, be my guest.

Ignorance is bliss, or so they say, and who am I to rain on your parade?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Maybe.

18.6 in the first 6 games.

23.4 in the last 5 games.

In our first 3 wins - 17 rushes per game.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Running yard/game = 80.6

First 6 games = 46.83

I think running numbers are a result of better overall play. Not more of an emphasis on running the football.

Yes, the running numbers have improved, but so has OL play, so has WR play that effects the way defenses play us, & so has Will's decision making & confidence, which also effects the way defenses play us.

Saying that the running game is why we're better is very shallow IMO & doesn't address the reasons that we are running the ball better.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I don't think we're running more because we have the lead. Before, defenses were mostly dropping 8 and rushing 3 and we were not taking advantage of that by running against a 3 man front. I think we're running more because Will has gotten better at adjusting at the line of scrimmage and also our backs are getting better, so we are taking advantage when people are essentially daring us to run. I don't think Leach has really changed his philosophy. He wants to put pressure on every part of the defense and then take what the defense gives. We just weren't good enough before to run when we should for the yards we should.
Beat me to it. It is this, and a little more. Lately when we run, we're making yards, Yes, the backs are probably getting better, but I'm thinking it may be more about the O-line getting more experience with the wide-sets and how to work with each other in this scheme.

Hasn't it been revealed a few times now that CL doesn't really call for runs or passes. He calls for one of the very few plays he has...all of which have a run or pass option that is up to the QB to decide based on what he reads pre & post-snap. There are typically more pass options, so the odds of there being a pass are greater on any given play.

Also, as Will has shown he can be accurate with his passing and is capable of stretching the field deep, that has also helped open up the running game because it has become much more risky for opposing defenses to keep more of the "drop 7 or 8" relatively close enough to close in quickly on a run or short pass into the flats, middle screens, etc. I really believe Leach is all about calling the formation then relying heavily on his QB to make the right choice and for each player to do his job perfectly. You only get there with repetition until it is 2nd nature. We all know Leach's system has always been about far fewer sets & plays that are practiced to near perfection, combined with an accurate QB who becomes good at making the correct decisions (including changing the play) after Leach has called for one of the few plays.

So, Leach calls a play, we get to the line...the defense shows us a look, and Leach expects our QB to make whatever call he thinks best fits what he is seeing. While most coaches expect at least some of that, I suspect with CL, it's really a huge part of the entire philosophy. He wants his QB to have more freedom than other coaches do, though he expects his QB's to be accurate enough, great at making quick reads & going through progressions.

In short, he likes to get our players prepared to run the few plays we have to as near-to-perfection as possible, then largely allow his QB to decide at the LOS what to do based on the defense. Our defense he leaves to ZA. As our guys have gotten better at learning their positions & responsibilities within his system, we have gotten better across-the-board, allowing for more successful runs when that is what Will sees as the best option. To my eyes, we tried run plays (including virtual run plays), passes to the flat & middle screens early on, but just weren't blocking them or running them well enough to keep calling them, whether by Leach or Rogers. Our RB's & WR's were getting blown up at, near or behind the LOS too consistently to make it a viable option.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010

My guess is Rogers has improved his pre-snap reads and is checking to a run play more with the defenses showing they’re going to drop 8. His recognition is better, and he’s making better decisions.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
My guess is Rogers has improved his pre-snap reads and is checking to a run play more with the defenses showing they’re going to drop 8. His recognition is better, and he’s making better decisions.

I think it's that and he also pushing the ball further downfield too. In the last 5 games, we're averaging 2 yds per completion more than we did during the first 6. With as many completions that we have, thats a good number of additional yards. Also, his pocket presence has improved. Now, he steps up in the pocket and actually drifts along the line of scrimmage to help open things up whereas at the beginning of the year, he would turn and run backwards at the first sign of pressure.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Didn’t Borgey have 800 yards rushing in Leach’s last WSU year? Leach will do what he thinks will work and that includes his team getting better at running. Force feeding the run doesn’t mean anything if it isn’t working just like you can’t force a pass with no window.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I think running numbers are a result of better overall play. Not more of an emphasis on running the football.

Yes, the running numbers have improved, but so has OL play, so has WR play that effects the way defenses play us, & so has Will's decision making & confidence, which also effects the way defenses play us.

Saying that the running game is why we're better is very shallow IMO & doesn't address the reasons that we are running the ball better.

100% correct.

Just look at the Auburn game. Run count went up a little towards the end because of the last couple of drives, but otherwise the comeback was made primarily by passing against the dreaded 3 man front. It's all coming along with more reps in the system and improvement in every area, including QB recognition of the proper adjustments. And it's happened like this everywhere the Leach/Mumme Air Raid has been implemented, yet people continue to be surprised it works from Iowa Wesleyan to Mississippi State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login