In Polk's defense..................

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Don't get me wrong.....I want Polk to step down like yesterday but the injuries we have had are brutal. No Pigott. No Crosswhite. No Turner. No Weatherford. Add in the early losses to the draft of Easley and Moreland and the graduation of Rea. Then add in the transfer of Lea and Polk's outdated coaching. And Ouila!!! The Perfect Shitstorm for MSU baseball.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
well with proper training and conditioning most of these injuries could be avoided

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Turner on any consistent basis this year. We may get a DH one or two games and then sit 3, rinse, repeat.

As I stated yesterday, Pitching injuries didn't cost us a single game this past weekend. It doesn't matter who is pitching when you lead the league in striking out and grounding into double plays.

Also, its becoming clear the pitching injuries are not a coincidence and are our own doing. The same could be said for Turner who we let run in January. And there is a GP'er saying that Lalor is now hurt.

Big time programs lose players early all the time and never miss a beat. We are not a big time program. We have one "great" year every 5 or 6. Polk also has the luxury of never losing one single signee since he has returned. Who else can say that?

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
...the rumors about not using ice is true, the coaching staff brought all the injuries on themselves, and the whole staff should be fired.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
tore the "Ice down pitching arms after game" chapter out of McNickle's copy of The Book? Polk may have to fire up the mimeograph machine and get him another copy.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
But not having replacements for Easley, Moreland, or Rea shouldn't be an acceptable excuse.

I think everyone knew Easley was gone, Rea was a SR and Moreland was 50/50 going into his Junior season. Same way Bianco doesn't get a pass for not having a SS ready to replace Cozart, coaches at programs like MSU and Ole Miss should have capable replacements ready to replace players like Cozart, Kline, Easley and Moreland. </p>

</p>

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
I was just throwing the Easley and Moreland losses in there as part of the entire cluster<17> that MSU baseball is right now.

Jul 8, 2007
What are the injuries specifically and what proper training and conditioning do you propose would guarantee that these would be avoided?

patdog

May 28, 2007
in Polk's last 13 seasons as our coach. Using the injury excuse just doesn't cut it. Injuries "may" be the difference between a mediore season and a terrible season this year, but the bottom line is neither mediocre or terrible should be acceptable for MSU baseball.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
When you lose, often times it's a lot of things rather than just one thing.

The GIDP stat that you are talking about is a direct result of not trying to move the runners along- ever. That's on Polk.

The pitching injuries are on McNickle and Polk as well.</p>

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
We have an abnormal amount of "sore shoulders"- Lea, Weatherford and Pigott, sore elbows- Crosswhite and I believe Whitney among others.

Ice is used to decrease inflammation. When you pitch, it obviously puts a lot of strain on the joints and muscle tissue. When you do that, you want to put ice on it ASAP to try to reduce the inflammation as much as possible so that the tissue and joints can heal. If you don't the inflammation stays, and the "trauma" from pitching lingers. If you do that repeatedly, you run the risk of damage. Also after icing, you want to do some stretching because the ice will cause the tendons to shrink some. That should be done at a minimum. Most people have their pitchers do some running as well. Supposedly, we aren't doing that.

What we are supposedly doing is what they do in Japan- like Matsuzaka where the focus is on throwing A LOT.

Also, in all honesty you can't prevent injuries BUT you can do what it takes to reduce the likelihood of them.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
As far as icing down their arms or not but I don't think Polk will ever be accused of over throwing a pitcher. He may not bring relievers in soon enough but I don't recall him leaving pitchers in for 120-130 pitches very often. That is what struck me odd with the Lea family's criticism of Polk.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
that he seems to be doing that more this year. First of all, you have Jesse Carver throwing 130 pitches over 7+ innings against Ole Miss, and supposedly he made Pigott throw way too many pitches in one of his outings against Baylor or someone like that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login