In the rising coaching salary world...

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
6mil. Raises for all assistants. Much bigger salary pool for off-field staff. We need way, way more for recruiting and analyst.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Agreed, and if any comments are made about Kiffin’s raise, well… win 10 and beat him next year

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Just for comparison purposes Ole Miss just gave Kiffin $7.5M plus guarantees that assistant coaches and support staff(crootin) will be all be paid in top half of SEC.
To me the commitment that Ole Miss is making to Assistants and Support Staff is the big key. Carter is stepping up to plate, swinging for the fence and not bunting. We are bunting and hoping for a hit with the lowest paid assistants and support staff in the SEC.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wouldn't do anything. As someone else mentioned, we need to increase recruiting and assistants salaries a lot more than we do head coach salary right now.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agreed, and if any comments are made about Kiffin’s raise, well… win 10 and beat him next year
I share this sentiment. And further, we'll talk raises when we beat an average Memphis and don't have to have a miracle to beat a bad Louisiana Tech team at home.

We are NOT in overpay territory. We have a good coach who many others don't want for a variety of reasons, which is kind of the genius in it all. He's too old to go start a rebuild elsewhere, and the blue bloods just don't want to mess with him. He needs to have the breakout season before we go all lil ole moo on him.

Give the assistants the raises.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would just extend Leach's contract this season and instead increase assistant and support pay. Evaluate next season for Leach.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Its hard to envision Leach making a jump to a better paying job. I don't see him being on the radar for the LSU, Alabama or Texas of the world at this stage. Seems unlikely he'd leave for a Baylor, Kansas or a Pac12 level job.

I'm fine with a small raise, but i wouldn't tie up much in the buyout. If we're 6-6 next year with an Egg Bowl loss in Oxford, MSU might be the one eyeing the buyout more so than a Blue Blood.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I would cap all coaches salaries and give cola adjustments. Put some nice incentives in, including a $5 million bonus for winning it all or something. Then take the donated funds that would have been used to pay the coaches big bumps and have the donors start an NPO to pay players for NIL.

Texas just had 3 boosters do this. They are calling it the pancake factory and all scholarship O-line get $50k a year. A nonprofit setup just to pay players.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Texans-offensive-line-NIL-nonprofit-16680268.php

For $5 million a year of Bulldog Club donations redirected we can have a $60k a year base salary for all scholarship players. In the world of NIL, how much you are paying players is going to eventually mean more than who your coach is.. You can hire an X's and O's coach and let the salaries do all of the recruiting.

Last edited:

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
$6 mill. Major staff raises. $500k beat ole miss, $3mill for playoff, $5mill for a national championship. Plus big bonuses for assistants for the playoff/championship

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Just for comparison purposes Ole Miss just gave Kiffin $7.5M plus guarantees that assistant coaches and support staff(crootin) will be all be paid in top half of SEC.
To me the commitment that Ole Miss is making to Assistants and Support Staff is the big key. Carter is stepping up to plate, swinging for the fence and not bunting. We are bunting and hoping for a hit with the lowest paid assistants and support staff in the SEC.
I think keeping up with the Jones’ is a dumb idea. Every team in the SEC besides Alabama, KY, and UGA has had to pay a significant buyout for firing a coach in the last 4 years. That’s crazy.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
I have a dumb question but will ask anyway. Does Leach authorize assistant coach pay increases or can Cohen negotiate with the assistant directly?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Royalties on all this maroon jolly roger merch.***

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think it’s mostly the coach working within the budget approved by the AD. But there have definitely been some cases where the AD hires an assistant directly.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Whatever gets him to sign the extension (within reason). Also depends on what he wants for assistants. I’m fine with anything between what he’s making now and what Kiffin is making. It’s not like we can’t afford it. Pittman at Arkansas is due for a raise, too, so that might be a good benchmark.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
I share this sentiment. And further, we'll talk raises when we beat an average Memphis and don't have to have a miracle to beat a bad Louisiana Tech team at home.

We are NOT in overpay territory. We have a good coach who many others don't want for a variety of reasons, which is kind of the genius in it all. He's too old to go start a rebuild elsewhere, and the blue bloods just don't want to mess with him. He needs to have the breakout season before we go all lil ole moo on him.

This is very well said. I think you’ve got a coach and a QB that are here for the next 3 years, and have a real chance to do very, very special things together.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010

This, all 17’n day long

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
He is making 5 million right now.

would you raise your kids allowance if they did what you told them, only. Nothing above and beyond.

Also, just because your neighbors raise their kids allowance.

He has a contract. He deserves nothing extra this year.

was21

May 29, 2007
Leach is good salary wise now...give assistants raises...thx

was21

May 29, 2007
How 'bout his salary gets cut if he loses to the Memphis' and La Tech's of the world

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I could see giving them all a bump up but not 3 million. Assistant coaches Moreno. Incentives should be written into every contract. A nice chunk for beating OM, and big chunk for winning the West, winning the SEC. If ya wanna make more , do more. Just a good way to set the priorities

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I could see giving them all a bump up but not 3 million. Assistant coaches Moreno. Incentives should be written into every contract. A nice chunk for beating OM, and big chunk for winning the West, winning the SEC. If ya wanna make more , do more. Just a good way to set the priorities
Despite my joke above, I'm opposed to any sort of bonus for beating OM. No need to spell out the importance of that game with a financial incentive. Plus, it adds ammo to the claim that the Egg bowl is all we care about.

FTR, Leach's WSU contract included a $75,000 bonus for beating UW. He only collected once.

I'm in favor of bonuses for team GPA, bowl eligibility, each SEC win over 4, division and conference titles, NY6 bowls and playoff appearances.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We need more money for assistants, support staff and recruiting. Go on Alabama’s Athletic Department Website and look at their support staff, then go on ours.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
0-2 against your rival does not justify any raise. Losing record last season, 7-5 this season say "wait till next year".
Leach is looking at retirement, he ain't going anywhere.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login