Inside the box, or out?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Before anyone loses their absolute mind, let me preface this as a purely hypothetical scenario. If we move on from Arnett who are some outside of the box candidates that you would potentially entertain? Someone that doesn’t fit the conventional mold, but that you could maybe see a path to success. Personally, I subscribe to the notion that State should zig while everyone zags. But again, I’m not saying we should hire these guys. But maybe somewhere way down the list? If it helps, think back to 2020 when it looked like it might come down to Todd Grantham or Hudspeth. At that point, we were open to just about anyone else.

Troy Calhoun (Air Force) – A modified spread triple option would be interesting at State. Would put less of an emphasis on needing a great passer. Would love to see Mike Wright run something like that.

Ryan Dinwiddie (Toronto Argonauts) – WAY outside the box here. Won the Grey Cup in 2022 and is 32-13 as a HC. Maybe the best QB in Boise State history. He’s obviously a great (CFL) coach with great offenses. Fully aware of the differences between the CFL and CFB. But come on, you’d at least be intrigued right?

Phillip Rivers (St. Michael Catholic HS in Mobile, AL) – Ok, so he’s not exactly Deion Sanders. But the guy ran some great offenses in the NFL for 15 years. Massive name recognition that would almost certainly boost recruiting and an Alabama native. Can he coach? Idk, but admit it would at least be pretty cool.

Honorable mention for Vic Schaefer to coach the defense***

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just go get the best person. I don't care about box checked. Just spend the money and hire someone good. I say go get Chris Petersen. He's available.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're on the right track here.

Troy Calhoun - I'm all for systems, but I'm not sure I want to zag that far. Paul Johnson did alright at GT, but I do think you need to at least have the minimal guise of getting guys to the NFL. Plus in this day and age, with the rules the way they are, you have to be able to competently throw the ball.

Ryan Dinwiddie - Very interesting. I know nothing of his offense, so you'll need to enlighten.

Phillip Rivers - Hard no for me, not really interested in replicating Neon unless they have a CLEAR plan for funding NIL with all their branding connections like Neon does.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
At this point, I would take Todd Cooley......like right now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login