Installment 3: What we did well; What we gotta clean up

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Good: Game plan going in seemed like a winner

Bad: ST, WR can't catch consistently, stupid stupid in-game decisions from Leach...I could go on....

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005

Bad: ST, WR can't catch consistently, stupid stupid in-game decisions from Leach...I could go on....

its completely perplexing why ST is always sketchy. It’s not a leach thing, morehead thing, or Mullen thing. It’s always. It’s not one ST coach. It’s every one. I mean.. the kicking team was missing XPs and gimmie FGs last year. And it’s a problem again this year? Muffed punts from one of the most experienced players on the team? Freaking holding 10 yards away from the play? We could have once gotten the Alabama treatment on that one and excuse it for being away from the play, but oh well.

im at a loss with STs. How can FCS teams not have as how much trouble and we have it? Yearly? It’s evidently not the STs coach. We have had multiple with the same results.

Special teams was probably the majority reason for the loss. 3 plays. Missed XP, muffed punt, being called back from inside LSU’s 20 because of a mind blowing stupid hold. All other things equal, we probably win last night. The team just laid down after the dropped punt and pre boarded the bus.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is an interesting take -- and I agree with it. ST was an area of the game that we could count on to be solid and win outright -- an you can go back several coaching staffs and see that.

In a close game, it is the small mistakes that show up as major blemishes. LSU cleaned up their miscues from early in the game, and we did not.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Offensive line has to get a lot better. Not sure I can emphasize that enough.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Mullen, Moorhead and Leach did not have a legit Special Teams coach. For all three it was an afterthought. Heck Tony Hughes has been a special teams coach at MSU.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

We need legit athletic, vertical threat, seam route, catch monster….. WR to open this downfield as much as possible for our screen passes….gotta catch downfield in order for it to work!?!!£¥*

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Good - I realize that the final stats don’t tell this story, but I thought that the defense had a solid game plan. They were stopping everything that LSU tried to do up until their QB kept breaking containment at the very end of the 1st half, and a huge chunk of the Tigers’ total offense came when our D was just gassed at the end. It was far from a perfect game, but they played well enough to win

Bad - Leach, period. Poor 4th down decisions, poor personnel decisions, and a completely ineffective offense for around 85% of the game. I will not blame the players. It’s Year 3, Leach owns this offense, and it was a cluster last night

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That guy ain't coming to state to just be put in the mix with 12 other receivers. He's gonna want to play 90% of the offensive snaps...and if he's that good he will somewhere.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Offensive line has to get a lot better. Not sure I can emphasize that enough.

I'm behind Leach until he loses the team. When he was hired all my Tech buddies were telling me how great he was going to be and I'd love him as a coach. I told them he won't work and that they didn't understand MS high school football or the majority of HS football in our core recruiting area. Pass blocking is not taught well like it is in TX and out West. Also, 7 on 7 is almost as big as travel baseball in TX. Combine these things with the leagues Tech and Washington St. played in and it explains how his offense worked without major recruits.

Whether a team is a running team or a passing team the SEC is a line of scrimmage league. It always has been and probably always will be.

When we had successful run or multiple offenses 3* OL worked because they grew up run blocking and we could "coach them up" to be really good run blockers and just good enough pass blockers. In this offense in this league if you aren't getting 4*and 5* OL croots you better go to TX/West for your 3* OL and try to coach them up.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
its completely perplexing why ST is always sketchy. It’s not a leach thing, morehead thing, or Mullen thing. It’s always. It’s not one ST coach. It’s every one. I mean.. the kicking team was missing XPs and gimmie FGs last year. .

In 2020 when Sarah Fuller kicked those two extra points against Tennessee, there were a lot of folks here tripping over each other to talk about how 'not a big deal' it was to make two extra points. At the time, I said there were a few seasons in the past where I wished Mississippi State had a kicker that could go two for two on extra points.

It occurred to me last night that maybe we're almost always in one of those seasons. We definitely are this year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That guy ain't coming to state to just be put in the mix with 12 other receivers. He's gonna want to play 90% of the offensive snaps...and if he's that good he will somewhere.

Correct. Leach is going to get a dozen slot receivers with good hands and maybe every now and then he may luck up into Michael Crabtree, but that won't be the norm.

Also, without OL support, the deep ball threat won't matter if the receiver doesn't have time to get past the defender.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login