Insurance help from pack

Nov 6, 2015
Ok guys
Serious s*** here
Mrs Skipper and I come home from 3 day love fest and downstairs was completely flooded (1” water) from upstairs S****er. Insurance is state ****
not able to get restoration company out for 2 weeks because of Amory MS tornadoes which I understand..
Tell me what to expect
Thanks

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
From State Farm? Absolutely nothing but BS. I'm in Amory with State Farm and they are absolutely useless. I've had to get the state insurance commissioners office involved and threaten to get attorneys involved to get anything solved. My local agent is useless. It took 14 days to even see a human being on my property. My next door neighbor with Farm Bureau had a check in 5 days. Another neighbor with Alfa had his truck in the shop and repaired before I even got a virtual visit from SF. Don't get me starTed. You're screwed!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Ok guys
Serious s*** here
Mrs Skipper and I come home from 3 day love fest and downstairs was completely flooded (1” water) from upstairs S****er. Insurance is state ****
not able to get restoration company out for 2 weeks because of Amory MS tornadoes which I understand..
Tell me what to expect
Thanks
Your restoration company will know the ropes if they've been around long. They should be able to help.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Call Serve Pro and keep your receipts. If State Farm gives you issue call Mike Channey. If that doesn't work, get a lawyer. State Farm is the worse company to do business with. They do not have a good rap in the Mississippi Courts. They are horrible. Don't bargain shop PC insurance. That will screw you. Shelter, Farm Bureau and Farmers are the way to go. Farm Bureau is probably the most expensive, but they have adjusters living and working in every county. You are a member of the Farm Burau Federation, and they force Farm Bureau to take care of their membership. That 30$ is well worth it. I am willing to pay more for better service.

Last edited:

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Damn. Didn’t realize State Farm had this reputation.
I had State Farm for home insurance 3 years ago and they denied my roof claim. I moved and got Alfa. I had a hail damage claim and fa paid right away. Talked to one of my neighbors who had SF (woth a 5k deductible because he just never changed it from building new) and they only paid $4700, so he got nothing. Also, he had visible damage where several shingles were blown off.

You would think if I had hail damage, he would have too since he lives just a few doors away from me. If he doesn't then great, but I have to be super skeptical of SF because of how they treated me 3 years ago.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I had State Farm for home insurance 3 years ago and they denied my roof claim. I moved and got Alfa. I had a hail damage claim and fa paid right away. Talked to one of my neighbors who had SF (woth a 5k deductible because he just never changed it from building new) and they only paid $4700, so he got nothing. Also, he had visible damage where several shingles were blown off.

You would think if I had hail damage, he would have too since he lives just a few doors away from me. If he doesn't then great, but I have to be super skeptical of SF because of how they treated me 3 years ago.
ALFA is Alabama Farm Bureau.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
ALFA is Alabama Farm Bureau.
Yes but ALFA is its own insurance company that’s not associated with other Farm Bureaus.

Mississippi Farm Bureau insurance is part of Southern Farm Bureau Casualty which is in Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, Florida, Colorado, and Arkansas.

Tennessee Farm Bureau is separate.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yes but ALFA is its own insurance company that’s not associated with other Farm Bureaus.

Mississippi Farm Bureau insurance is part of Southern Farm Bureau Casualty which is in Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, Florida, Colorado, and Arkansas.

Tennessee Farm Bureau is separate.
ALFA is under Farm Bureau Federation in Alabama not anywhere else, but it is still a Farm Bureau Company. They went by Alabama Farm Bureau but then left the Federation and changed to ALFA. Alabama Life Farmers Association. About 16 years ago they rejoin the Federation in Alabama.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
ALFA is under Farm Bureau Federation in Alabama not anywhere else, but it is still a Farm Bureau Company. They went by Alabama Farm Bureau but then left the Federation and changed to ALFA. Alabama Life Farmers Association. About 16 years ago they rejoin the Federation in Alabama.
Correct. I was just pointing out that they are separate for some of the other states.

Farm Bureau is more expensive but you get what you pay for. After the tornados they were cutting checks less than 48 hours later.

They were the least sued insurance company after Katrina and only went to court for just a handful of claims.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve had State Farm insurance for almost 40 years. I’ve had two small claims in those 40 years. One auto and one homeowners until this tornado. My original agent was a family friend who has since retired. State Farm is getting trashed in and around the Amory tornado Every contractor we get bids from is telling the same story, if you have SF they are lowballing and denying claims. I may rent a billboard before this one is finished. I’m a vindictive SOB.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve had State Farm insurance for almost 40 years. I’ve had two small claims in those 40 years. One auto and one homeowners until this tornado. My original agent was a family friend who has since retired. State Farm is getting trashed in and around the Amory tornado Every contractor we get bids from is telling the same story, if you have SF they are lowballing and denying claims. I may rent a billboard before this one is finished. I’m a vindictive SOB.
My uncle had an over the road truck that was hauling out west and got hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the interstate one late night. Driver had State Farm and they drug their feet from the beginning and MONTHS later they finally looked at the truck and then lowballed the claim by an astronomical amount. They totaled the hopper bottom trailer but refused to budge on the truck (the truck was toast and needed to be totaled). They held his check on the trailer to try and make him take the lowballed offer on the truck. I have never in my life seen something so shìtty.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m done with State Farm once I finally deposit a check. The local agent is going to cross the street if he sees me coming down the sidewalk.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
State Farm screwed so many people after Katrina I’d figure they’d be out of business in MS. A lot of people have short memories.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Find an independent agent and get quotes from SAFECO, a Liberty Mutual co. Their premiums will beat the other companies by a bunch, and they pay their claims. I’ve been with them several years, had 2 roof replacements, got good settlements both times without any problems. I think you will be surprised and well pleased.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We dropped State Farm when we left for Texas in 2007 because some friends lost their a$$ in Katrina, and State Farm was trying to screw them. I had been a customer since I got my first car at 16. I guess I was lucky that I never had a large claim. Farmers has been ok in the past here. We had a significant hail storm a few years ago, and Liberty was fast. We have a problem with hail and roof coverage in this part of Texas because of the frequency of LARGE hail storms. This means almost all insurance has a crappy deductible, compounded by the age and quality of your roof.

catvet

May 11, 2009
I've had Shelter for 20 plus years. They aren't the cheapest, but they have been great. Having said that, the company is only as good as your agent. They are the ones who take care of you.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
No it’s everywhere. Consider yourself fortunate.
I will. The guy at the body shop asked what insurance I had and when I said SF, he said “good, they’ll be no problem”. He said no one’s wants to work on geico or progressive insured vehicles. I did go to one of SF’s preferred shops.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I will. The guy at the body shop asked what insurance I had and when I said SF, he said “good, they’ll be no problem”. He said no one’s wants to work on geico or progressive insured vehicles. I did go to one of SF’s preferred shops.
When my wife got in a wreck, we had Progressive. They totaled it out but we did the partial repair option. Really as good as new but took about 6 weeks to repair.

Guy at the body shop told me that Progressive kept trying to get him to cut corners to lower the cost until he finally told them there is a lady and 2 children that ride in this van and they are going to get someone killed by cutting corners.

I mentioned I was probably going to change over to Alfa and he said to me "Alfa is your best insurance, partner." When I had my roof claim, they were fast and paid very fair.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Damn. Didn’t realize State Farm had this reputation.
I’ve known a few people that had great experiences, but generally when you buy State Farm insurance you are buying the right to sue them, not have coverage. 17 those sorry 17s with a metal studded *****. You really don’t need them if you live in a disaster area.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We dropped State Farm when we left for Texas in 2007 because some friends lost their a$$ in Katrina, and State Farm was trying to screw them. I had been a customer since I got my first car at 16. I guess I was lucky that I never had a large claim. Farmers has been ok in the past here. We had a significant hail storm a few years ago, and Liberty was fast. We have a problem with hail and roof coverage in this part of Texas because of the frequency of LARGE hail storms. This means almost all insurance has a crappy deductible, compounded by the age and quality of your roof.
I’m disappointed we didn’t have any rednecks from Hancock County start assassinating State Farm corporate officers after Katrina. Their behavior after Katrina was unconscionable. Couldn’t get fair treatment from State Farm unless you could carry litigation for more than twelve months. Otherwise it was at best 70% of a reasonable valuation, after outright denial for a while.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Good luck, brother. I have a close family friend in Amory. Huge tree on her house. Bedroom and kitchen totally trashed. 13 days after the tornado SF sent her a settlement offer for $17k. I think it will take triple that to put her place back right.

Conversely, my father lives in Tupelo. He lost half the shingles on his house in a different storm a few weeks ago. Five days later Nationwide cut him a check for more than it cost him to have a crew tear off and replace a lifetime roof.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So, I don’t want to slow the State Farm hate, but back to the OP’s question, has anyone here dealt with a flooding claim of any kind?

I’ve heard horror stories from hurricane victims where insurers won’t consider a scenario to be “flooding” unless it’s at least 3-4” of water or something nuts like that. Just hearsay, but I’m also curious as to how these claims typically go. Seems like a matter of time before a busted pipe happens to all of us

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
has anyone here dealt with a flooding claim of any kind?
I have. We had one of the water heaters in our house burst and flood two bedrooms downstairs.

An adjuster is going to come in and write up everything he think needs to be replaced... floors, cabinetry, furniture and personal belongings. He will assign a dollar value to it all. Then he'll make an estimate of cost of repairs... such as removing baseboards and 2 feet of drywall/insulation in all flooded areas of the house, mold treatment, etc..

The settlement may include money you spend while being forced out of the home during repairs.. or it may not.

The adjuster will add up losses and cost of repairs and offer you a number.

Reactions: Seinfeld

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I worked at MS Farm Bureau for close to 15 years (I left 12 years ago) and they are a solid company. As another poster said their adjusters are usually local. The running joke in our office was that the claims department would start writing checks before the storm was over.

To your original question, do you know what your policy covers? The biggest disconnect is people buy insurance and don't understand what is covered, what is excluded and how losses are settled, replacement cost vs actual cash value.

Policies are written in legal jargon so if you don't know or don't understand you should pepper your agent with questions. If he/she is worth a damn, they shouldn't mind explaining it to you.

Any costs you incurred to prevent further damage should be recorded and keep your receipts. Typically you will be reimbursed. Take pictures if you haven't already.

If all else fails and you aren't satisfied, Mike Chaney is a phone call away.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I know that state farm gets fined millions of dollars a year for the way that they do business. I have a relative in a position to know for sure.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My local agents excuse is that any claim above $10,000 is automatically a corporate claim and is taken from the local agent. He can’t do anything for a claim over that figure. I call BS on that.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
So, I don’t want to slow the State Farm hate, but back to the OP’s question, has anyone here dealt with a flooding claim of any kind?

I’ve heard horror stories from hurricane victims where insurers won’t consider a scenario to be “flooding” unless it’s at least 3-4” of water or something nuts like that. Just hearsay, but I’m also curious as to how these claims typically go. Seems like a matter of time before a busted pipe happens to all of us
Our drain hose came off the back of our washer and flooded part of our house (wood floors). ServPro was out there by that night running big fans and we stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights. I had MetLife Home insurance and I had 2 options - get a check and contract out the work myself or use an approved contractor (Paul Davis) from their list and the insurance company would write the check to them. I chose the latter option and it was easy. About a month later, we stayed in a hotel for about 11 days while they did the work. They moved everything out and back in and cleaned the house. I didn't lift a finger.

Then later that year - I got a notice from MetLife they were dropping my homeowners insurance. I had replaced my roof 2 years prior. I switched to Farm Bureau at that point and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2015
I have. We had one of the water heaters in our house burst and flood two bedrooms downstairs.

An adjuster is going to come in and write up everything he think needs to be replaced... floors, cabinetry, furniture and personal belongings. He will assign a dollar value to it all. Then he'll make an estimate of cost of repairs... such as removing baseboards and 2 feet of drywall/insulation in all flooded areas of the house, mold treatment, etc..

The settlement may include money you spend while being forced out of the home during repairs.. or it may not.

The adjuster will add up losses and cost of repairs and offer you a number.
Do you have to take the number offered or can you negotiate

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Find an independent agent and get quotes from SAFECO, a Liberty Mutual co. Their premiums will beat the other companies by a bunch, and they pay their claims. I’ve been with them several years, had 2 roof replacements, got good settlements both times without any problems. I think you will be surprised and well pleased.
I swapped to SAFECO and got a new roof after Allstate wouldn't do it. We had a couple of hailstorms come through and do some damage. Everyone around me was getting new roofs. Everyone but me. Called my independent agent and asked him to swap me over to SAFECO. 3 weeks later I had a new roof.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login