Interesting BBall Lack of Depth Fact...

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Rick Stansbury played his starters 78 percent of the teams minutes, more than all but 14 other D-I teams.

G

Goat Holder

Said it was absolutely stupid, especially in the NCAA Tourney, to substitute for significant minutes. He said if you actually get tired playing, you shouldn't be playing anyway. Went to say that Wooden and some of the others would play guys for the entire games. And that guys like Dean Smith had different circumstances and could afford to sub all the time because they always had 10 All Americans on their team.

Also, said it was stupid to take out guys in foul trouble. Said he'd rather take the chance than not have a great player on the floor.

patdog

May 28, 2007
but see you had it in the body of your post. The fact is, if you're playing more than about 7 players, you're short-changing yourself (unless you have 10 HS All-Americans on your team). 78% of minutes to starters is less than 32 minutes per game per starter.

Knight is right too about sitting players in foul trouble. You used to never see coaches sit a player with 2 fouls in the first half. Now, that's the rule rather than the exception. The risk is that a player fouls out and has to sit. But if you sit him down earlier, it's like you're conceding the additional fouls that he might not commit. Obviously, you do need to sit a player who gets into deep foul trouble early (like 3 fouls in the first half or 4 fouls in the first 30 minutes), but coaches go way overboard on sitting players in foul trouble.

OEMDawg

Mar 22, 2008
only problem with that is the guard position is usually where most teams' points are generated from. Yet we had 2 guards that each played 34+ minutes per game and at least one of them was prone to giving us less than 5 points on any given night. Don't really care to look it up but I imagine you can count on one hand the number of times Randy and Ben scored double figures in the same game. At least it seemed like a rare occurrence.

Eureka Dog

Feb 25, 2008
1) The player is tired and he shows a higher tendency to foul while tired

2) The refs seem to be "targeting" that particular player and calling ticky-tack fouls only on that player

3) The player needs to settle down, lose the "I'm getting picked on" attitude, and "get his head on straight" before returning to the game

4) A substitute can truly "replace" the player in foul trouble for a period of time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All of those are good reasons to sit a player in foul trouble. I didn't mean to imply that coaches should never sit players with foul trouble, just that most of them go way, way overboard with it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login