Interesting, but not terribly surprising, comment by Rosebowl on Facebook

patdog

May 28, 2007
[FONT=&quot]I suspect we would decline an invite to the NIT and begin transition to a new coach.[/FONT]
It's been rumored for months this would be Howland's last season before he retires, but this is the most concrete quote I've seen to date about it. Personally, I'd rather the team, coach, and administration have enough fight in them to try to go deep in the NIT, before he retires.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It's been rumored for months this would be Howland's last season before he retires, but this is the most concrete quote I've seen to date about it. Personally, I'd rather the team, coach, and administration have enough fight in them to try to go deep in the NIT, before he retires.

That might work if he announced his retirement now effective at the end of the season. If he does not and this is essentially a forced retirement then it makes no sense to go to the NIT. You make the break as soon as possible and move on. We tried what you suggest with Stans and wound up with Rick Ray. I know there were other factors but losing those days could also have contributed.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Just depends on locker room culture

A big difference between a guy choosing to retire with happy/supportive players and a scenario where the HC is getting "retired" and the locker room is in disarray and all going to transfer anyhow. No clue what our reality is. Hope it's the former and I would definitely want that team playing in the NIT. In the other scenario, just end it and move on.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I assume bastard has been back-channeling candidates since January 19, if not before.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I mean, are we out barring an upset of Auburn? I keep hearing people say we can still make it but all I see are losses. Albeit I watch from a distance.

Of course the season is just dragging, still 8 more damn games. I guess the good news is that we have some bad teams on the road coming up, but I so no reason we will win half of them. We haven't all year.

It would just be too good of a story for us to gel down the stretch, beat Auburn, get in the Dance, make a run and send Howland out on a high wouldn't it? So of course this has no shot of happening.

Feb 4, 2015
I suspect that considering our track record with hiring coaches that the next coach will possibly be so bad that some will be wishing we had Howland back much like with Stans. For the record, I got into a somewhat spat back and forth with rosebowl last year during football season on FB and i will tell you that he knows it all ***.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
We are 2-5 in our last 7 SEC games, stick a fork in us we are done!

I mean, are we out barring an upset of Auburn? I keep hearing people say we can still make it but all I see are losses. Albeit I watch from a distance.

Of course the season is just dragging, still 8 more damn games. I guess the good news is that we have some bad teams on the road coming up, but I so no reason we will win half of them. We haven't all year.

It would just be too good of a story for us to gel down the stretch, beat Auburn, get in the Dance, make a run and send Howland out on a high wouldn't it? So of course this has no shot of happening.

We can help some other SEC teams make the tournament though.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

We would have to win one of the next 2, beat Auburn at home, and not lose 2 of 3 @Mizzou, @SC, @A&M. That's not happening so why waste the energy even considering that scenario.

With the way this team plays, we probably drop one of the Mizzou or Vandy games at home.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I care if we regress, but I still want to take the chance to get better even if it turns out bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Good lord, man. It's Ben Howland. We've been out since December. People just realize it at different times.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
I suspect that considering our track record with hiring coaches that the next coach will possibly be so bad that some will be wishing we had Howland back much like with Stans. For the record, I got into a somewhat spat back and forth with rosebowl last year during football season on FB and i will tell you that he knows it all ***.

Funny story on Rosebowl always being "right". When Mullen was here a friend of mine was very close friends with one of Mullens "guys". Rosebowl was putting out some bad information on something that was going on and the coaching staff wanted it stopped. They asked my friend to message him and set the story straight. Rosebowl insisted that his story was right, my friend said "I know you have good sources, but please trust me that this time mine are better" insinuating who they were. RB basically told him to 17off and kept preaching his version. A few weeks later my friend sent him another message "I tried to tell you".

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Funny story on Rosebowl always being "right". When Mullen was here a friend of mine was very close friends with one of Mullens "guys". Rosebowl was putting out some bad information on something that was going on and the coaching staff wanted it stopped. They asked my friend to message him and set the story straight. Rosebowl insisted that his story was right, my friend said "I know you have good sources, but please trust me that this time mine are better" insinuating who they were. RB basically told him to 17off and kept preaching his version. A few weeks later my friend sent him another message "I tried to tell you".
I tried to tell him that the QB from Tupelo was about to flip to LSU back in the day too. Friend of mine had been standing by him while he was on the phone with Les Miles. He deleted my post and IM'ed me telling me not to spread stuff. Next day, he gone. Wouldn't respond to my messages.

I do think he's gotten better since those days. I mean that was like 13 years ago.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would be pissed at my school and admin if I were a player and it was decided that we don't get to play in the NIT.
17 that, especially if this were my last season.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The poor poor players.

I will ignore your sarcasm and take the post at face value- you are correct. A school declining post-season play so they can get a jump start on hiring a coach would be really 17ing frustrating as a player who just spent the prior 7 months practicing and playing hard to get to the point where my team earned a post-season bid.

Aug 21, 2015
I will ignore your sarcasm and take the post at face value- you are correct. A school declining post-season play so they can get a jump start on hiring a coach would be really 17ing frustrating as a player who just spent the prior 7 months practicing and playing hard to get to the point where my team earned a post-season bid.

I doubt the players care as much about the NIT as you do.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Right, and I mean… we can sit here and say that the season’s not over yet, but my gosh. Look at the Hump this past Wednesday guys. The program is dead, and it’s beyond Ws and Ls at this point. There is no heartbeat, and regardless of how the next hire turns out, it’s time to give this era a proper burial, pay our respects, and move on

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I mean, are we out barring an upset of Auburn?
We have 3, maybe 4 opportunities left for Q1 wins (A&M would be Q1 as of now, but they're borderline). If we get 3 such wins, we likely make it, even if we drop one on the road to SC or Missouri. If we win all of the "should wins" and get 2 Q1 wins, we still might make it. The teams in the 40s in the NET, which is where we'd likely end up in this scenario, are all lacking in Q1 wins, so even though 3/4 doesn't seem like many, it would put is in better position than most of them.

Of course, the problem is that we aren't good enough so none of this will happen.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

That’s the MSU way apparently. We get so gloom and doom over a new coach that hasn’t even been hired yet that we deify our existing underachieving coaches.

For some reason, our fans find us incapable of doing the same damn thing that every other SEC program does. In the same time span that Howland has underachieved several teams like Auburn, Bama, Arkansas and Tennessee have fired one or TWO coaches and all have recently made deep runs in the NCAAT. Yet we have a group of fans that are still hesitant to pull the trigger on Howland.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login