Interesting conversation with D.J. Looney

studentdawg87

Feb 24, 2008
I don't believe this but this, but talked to D.J. for a while last night and he said that next year we are switching offenses to a spread. He said we should be better and the first thing he mentioned was moving Bonner to offense. Said the coaches decided to do it because they had him imitating Slaton the week of WV and that they had trouble tackling him. He said they were going to put him in the slot to, also said that elliot isn't a sure thing to play alot next year. Just thought all this interesting

studentdawg87

Feb 24, 2008
I don't believe this but this, but talked to D.J. for a while last night and he said that next year we are switching offenses to a spread. He said we should be better and the first thing he mentioned was moving Bonner to offense. Said the coaches decided to do it because they had him imitating Slaton the week of WV and that they had trouble tackling him. He said they were going to put him in the slot to, also said that elliot isn't a sure thing to play alot next year. Just thought all this interesting

J

JR

But I do want to know if you kept a straight face when you typed that.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I still think Croom is going to run the WCO for the most part, but add some spread stuff with it.

Then again his mentor went from some kind of throwing offense to the wishbone, which was the spread of it's time, so we'll see.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
...(real) spread as our "West Coast" offense is to the (real) one.

Calling it a spread offense doesn't make it one, Croom.

Jake Wimberly

Oct 3, 2006
I can tell you right now what our spread plays "two of them" will be.

1) hand off to running back on a trap and or dive.

2) fake that hand off; qb runs up the gut.

THAT IS IT!!!! mark it down. No way the TANIC empliments any kind of explosiveness in our "offensive package."

That just isnt who we are at Mississippi State. We know who we are. "THREE YARDS AND A CLOUD BABY!!"

SnakePlissken

Feb 24, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________Not cute or clever, and it's not catching on._________________________________________________
You would think these idiots would realize that the ship didn't sink but finished 8-5 with a LB win.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
Quote:_________________________________________________You would think these idiots would realize that the ship didn't sink but finished 8-5 with a LB win._________________________________________________

Well, I for one am very pleased that we ended up with an 8-5 record, but I don't equate that with having a successful offense. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd take the winning season.

But I have never understood why some people don't believe you can always improve parts of your game, even if you end up with a winning season. When our team performs flawlessly, let me know.

Otherwise, a reminder:

Jake Wimberly

Oct 3, 2006
A winning season, (1) does not make a great coach or team. As long as he keeps making moves like McCorvey extensions, not recruiting speedy wideouts, etc He will be referred to by me as the TANIC. I am proud we went 8-5 and won the LB but you can thank pick-6 after pick-6 for that and that doesnt happen every year. Dont believe me? Last time that happend at State? 1999. Until we break out of this funk offensively that is what I will refer to him and his Gulfcoast offense.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
was because his tenure was sinking like the Titanic into a cold, watery grave. 3 win season after 3 win season. Winning 8 games is enough to remove that nickname from him. It doesn't make him a great coach, but at this time he isn't sinking into oblivion either.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
Croom hates passing the ball in tight games, correct? The read option is just another way to keep the ball in the hands of our best players -- the RB's and Wes Carroll.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
My response was made with the recollection that, after the season was over, there were a few days of debate on this board between the "Dang, our offense sucks" group and the "SHUT UP!!!! WE ARE GOING TO A BOWL!!! WHY ARE YOU STILL HARPING ABOUT THE OFFENSE!?!?!" group.

My apologies to SnakePlissen for misinterpreting his intent, but rest assured that there are (or at least WERE) members of the latter group here in full force making their argument.

It was like, since we're going to a bowl, we are idiots for discussing any potential opportunities for improvement within the team.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
I agree. We ran the read option at least a half dozen times with Carroll last year. I agree we won't exclusively go to a "spread" offense. However, I bet we see more of the read option with more depth at RB and QB.

SnakePlissken

Feb 24, 2008
I think we all agree that we have a LOT of improving to do in many areas. Having said that, I think the "Slytanic" has been re-floated and we are no longer sinking into the abyss as the once appropriate nickname implied. I think "Slytanic" or "Tanic" can now be retired.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
Wilson's ill-advised throw, how were we especially lucky last season? Auburn and Bama had an entire half to recover from the pick sixes, but never did. UK was an ***-whopping, as was Gardner Webb. UAB and Tulane were grind-it-out double digit wins. UCF was stymied all day long and pressured into making mistakes. Where's the luck?

You make your own luck.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
that Auburn had the FREAKING LEAD in the fourth quarter and we came back to win. It's all about that pick-6, which last I checked, were a pretty normal part of the game. It's not like we had 5 safeties.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
I hope the whole board will join me in referring to you as "The dumbass who calls Croom "Tanic"."

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
Peaches and others would rather us suck in football than admit they might've been wrong on this message board. That pretty much sums it up from what I've seen.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login