Interesting from an LSU fan

patdog

May 28, 2007
Posted by SaltyDog on the ED board. can’t say I disagree with this at all

MSU was 20/41 (.488) with 2 outs on the weekend. These 20 hits produced 22 runs. Twenty two! two out runs. They scored 33 total.

MSU hit 31 singles. THIRTY ONE singles. in 3 games. LSU had more extra base hits (12) than state (11) on the weekend.

Obviously, our performance at the plate, in the field and on the mound left a lot to be desired. But I think we really ran into a team that just wasn't going to be beaten this weekend. That said; the way MSU scored runs this weekend simply isn't sustainable - and I don't think any team will do that to LSU again this season (nor will MSU do that consistently). I'm not saying I don't think we'll be beaten, but it won't be by 31 singles and 20 2 out hits.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Twas a good weekend. But as stated, its baseball, anything can happen on a given weekend. Safe to say a lot went right for us. But thats what happens when you win a series.

To add to the above:
Getting 10 innings from your starters and having 23 walks on the weekend isnt a recipe for success either.

To the people thay we dominated, we were tied or behind the 5th inning of every game this weekend. Safe to say we dodged some bullets..... This weekend wasnt anything more than two teams trying to figure things out.

Glad to have gotten 2, and we dont need to apologize for the way we won... BUT.. We'll have to play much better on the road the next two weekends to win games.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

MSU was 20/41 (.488) with 2 outs on the weekend. These 20 hits produced 22 runs. Twenty two! two out runs. They scored 33 total.

MSU hit 31 singles. THIRTY ONE singles. in 3 games. LSU had more extra base hits (12) than state (11) on the weekend.

Obviously, our performance at the plate, in the field and on the mound left a lot to be desired. But I think we really ran into a team that just wasn't going to be beaten this weekend. That said; the way MSU scored runs this weekend simply isn't sustainable - and I don't think any team will do that to LSU again this season (nor will MSU do that consistently). I'm not saying I don't think we'll be beaten, but it won't be by 31 singles and 20 2 out hits.
Yeah, but did he enjoy the LFL experience and was he treated to some sausage?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

He can whine all he wants to about our hitting singles, but, he needs to look at the fact that in their 2 losses they were outhit 31-14. W/ that margin they aren't winning many, would he rather have had us hit more extra base hits? Them leaving 28 on base for the weekend and getting outhit like that isn't going to lead to much happiness for the CornDogs. I will agree we probably won't sustain that or even see another SEC series that lopsided though either

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

A lot of research for him to try to make himself feel better. I love the if game. If Tommy White hadn’t played like Nolan Arenado on 3rd we would have had a couple more extra base hits and runs. We walked 5 guys in one inning Sunday to give them 3 runs. I doubt they’ll get that gift many times in league play.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
There’s some truth to the 2 out hitting, but if you take out two pitchers from the Saturday game (Kale Steven & Gavin Black) - LSU scored 9 earned runs in like 23 innings on the weekend. It’s tough to put up big run totals when you’re getting 2 hits every 3 innings. That’s with us missing our Friday night starter, btw.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Been doing some ciphering. If we have 41 hits total (assuming his numbers are correct) and we have the option of hitting with naught, 1, or 2 outs. 2 outs represents 1/3 or 33% of our possible at bat scenarios. We have 41 hits but 20 with two outs, so 20/41, or 49% of our hits came during 33% of our attempts. If you cipher this correctly, remember, carry the one, you’ll see we kicked them in the teeth. They were plum lucky to squeak out one win.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

So they had one more extra base hit as us. And we had a whole lot more singles. But what stands out to me are the home runs. So this point is bunk. It's hard to classify hits (that aren't bombs) anyway as there's so much luck to it.

And of course 2-out hitting produces more runs, as more people are generally on base. So this is legitimate, as those will even out over time.

Bottom line, we probably hit a 'little' bit better than our baseline. But our pitching could be better, if Dohn returns, if Pico adds value, and if Stephens just MARGINALLY figures stuff out, even if that means going to Sunday or midweek and eating up innings.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Another thing, assuming this guy is right, then we scored 8 runs with less than two outs. LSU scored 17 runs on the weekend. Interested in their 2 out line? I'm too lazy to look that up.

Did they beat us on less than 2 out hitting? As dumb of a stat as that is. But it could easily refute this guy's assertions if we did.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Memo to Red Stick - MSU was a lot closer to sweeping LSU this weekend than LSU was to winning 2 of 3. They can thank Kal Stephen & Gavin Black for their one W because both neither of them pitched well.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Our announcers seemed to think LSU didn't look anywhere near as good as last year's NC team. Said they lost too much talent. They're darn lucky we didn't sweep them.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
After two crappy seasons I am not ready to buy in. I hope keep it up and go on a run but if they go win this next weekend I will probably be back on the fence.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
I do find myself visiting the site less and less. Kind of boring. I even have access to the premium board but I never have time to read.
It can be pretty hard at times. But also there are some that are good posters. Same on 6 pack. I don't post here as much but I do like the board. Dawg student a long time ago gave me a good lead on condo at Seagrove, so I'm a fan of him.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Been doing some ciphering. If we have 41 hits total (assuming his numbers are correct) and we have the option of hitting with naught, 1, or 2 outs. 2 outs represents 1/3 or 33% of our possible at bat scenarios. We have 41 hits but 20 with two outs, so 20/41, or 49% of our hits came during 33% of our attempts. If you cipher this correctly, remember, carry the one, you’ll see we kicked them in the teeth. They were plum lucky to squeak out one win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login