Interesting Historical Transfer Portal Scenarios

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Something interesting that I heard from a coworker of mine today:

Say the transfer portal has existed since the beginning of time, what all Mississippi State greats do you think wouldn't have lasted here as long as they did?
  • Would LSU have gone after Dak after the 2013 Egg Bowl and started him over Anthony Jennings?
  • After seeing Moulds TD catch against Bama in '94, do y'all think Bama walks over to him after the game to convince him to come to Tuscaloosa?
  • Does Kylin Hill enter the transfer portal after the first 3 games and become a day 1 starter at EMCC?
Throw out your scenarios!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dak would not have left Mullen.

I don't think Moulds would have left Jackie either, but maybe after 1994. That was just a different era back then, weren't a lot of freshman and sophomore stars.

We didn't have many studs period. It's not like we have ever been a big time recrootin school. But if you go that direction, you have to go the other direction. Danny might have brought Cam with him to MSU (or at least he claims he would have).

I just don't think you can compare at all. Just a new age.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Something interesting that I heard from a coworker of mine today:

Say the transfer portal has existed since the beginning of time, what all Mississippi State greats do you think wouldn't have lasted here as long as they did?
  • Would LSU have gone after Dak after the 2013 Egg Bowl and started him over Anthony Jennings?
  • After seeing Moulds TD catch against Bama in '94, do y'all think Bama walks over to him after the game to convince him to come to Tuscaloosa?
  • Does Kylin Hill enter the transfer portal after the first 3 games and become a day 1 starter at EMCC?
Throw out your scenarios!
The only stars I can think of that I think would have had a sense of loyalty that couldn't have been bought off without retirement level money would be Dak and Dampier. But I'm sure they both could have used a few hundred thousand in college to help with family so I wouldn't even bet big on them. I'm sure there are probably some others but those are the two most likely to get poached and most likely to resist.

It's really going to change though. Right now, you still have some loyalty to the school, but as more and more people get paid, it's going to be more and more like free agency in the pros, where you might have a few take a hometown discount, but generally it's all about the money.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
"Show me the money" has always been around, it's just out in the open now and more persuasive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login