Interesting. I don't think I would have guessed Man City at the top.

patdog

May 28, 2007
City's owners probably buy stuff from themselves to jack up the value. I'm only half joking. They stand accused of something not that different before the EPL's FFP panel.
There's been a lot of financial shenanigans at City from the day those corrupt Arabs bought them. But nothing will ever be done about it. That said, I don't doubt it's the most valuable club today. The treble is tainted as hell, but it's still a treble.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What, no MLS teams? **

Most of the list looks about right. But Tottenham over Chelsea?

Maybe Chelsea got devalued over Ambromovich.

City's owners probably buy stuff from themselves to jack up the value. I'm only half joking. They stand accused of something not that different before the EPL's FFP panel.

Man City also makes since they're the current Champions League winners.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have some money issues and are expanding their stadiums. Value shouldn't be affected but cash flow though...

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What, no MLS teams? **

Tottenham is a bigger club than Chelsea. It has a bigger stadium and has a bigger fanbase in London. Chelsea was a small to middle sized club that had the first of the oil rich owners. They got lucky in the extreme.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
Real Madrid and Barcelona have some money issues and are expanding their stadiums. Value shouldn't be affected but cash flow though...
FIFA recently ruled that the money they brought in from selling future revenues is a liability and can't be counted as revenue for FFP purposes. Which would be a bigger deal if I thought there was a chance in hell they'd ever impose significant sanctions on either club. But in any case, selling future revenues is a very desperate move. Sets you on a cycle of having to sell more and more future revenues just to keep up until the whole scheme collapses.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The two most surprising on that list to me are West Ham and Aston Villa. That being said West Ham is in London, has a fanatical fan base, and has a big, new (and horrible) stadium. Aston Villa is by far the biggest club in England's second biggest city.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
What, no MLS teams? **

Long way to go, but I would imagine Inter Miami is moving up the list now. I'm sure merch sales are through the roof.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Newcastle coming!

HWTL
Yeah, with more Arab sports washing money. I hate to see that. I've always like Newcastle. It's a big club with some of the best support in England. I always thought they could make it with the corrupt money. They nearly did once.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Long way to go, but I would imagine Inter Miami is moving up the list now. I'm sure merch sales are through the roof.
You don't get on that list buy paying through the nose for long in the tooth stars almost in their golden years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The two most surprising on that list to me are West Ham and Aston Villa. That being said West Ham is in London, has a fanatical fan base, and has a big, new (and horrible) stadium. Aston Villa is by far the biggest club in England's second biggest city.
Marquee Value.

If you're in the SEC or B1G Premier League, La Liga, or Bundesliga, you're in good shape.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Marquee Value.

If you're in the SEC or B1G Premier League, La Liga, or Bundesliga, you're in good shape.
Yeah, but they both struggle, and have been in the second tier recently. So have Newcastle and not that much farther back City. What Newcastle and City have that those don't is oil money.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not too surprising. They're both pretty big clubs. Side note: West Ham gets some free advertising at every Iron Maiden concert.
1690231456280.png

Attachments

• 1690231421070.png
    1690231421070.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 5

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, but they both struggle, and have been in the second tier recently. So have Newcastle and not that much farther back City. What Newcastle and City have that those don't is oil money.
Yep. I've no doubt that Leicester and Leeds (#27 & #33 in this year's list) will not be ranked next year.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You don't get on that list buy paying through the nose for long in the tooth stars almost in their golden years.
Well, you have to start somewhere... patdog mentioned the MLS in jest, to which I responded 'hey, Miami is making moves', which they are. Long in the tooth or not, Messi is the kind of mega star that creates international interest in a club few people had paid attention to prior to that. Of course they aren't on the world list. They aren't Barcelona. Hell, they're not even the LA Galaxy. Just pointing out that at least someone in MLS is trying to build momentum in the US. That's a good thing.

That free kick Friday night was straight out of Hollywood.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Jerdman Cowboys GIF - Jerdman Cowboys Birdman GIFs

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, you have to start somewhere... patdog mentioned the MLS in jest, to which I responded 'hey, Miami is making moves', which they are. Long in the tooth or not, Messi is the kind of mega star that creates international interest in a club few people had paid attention to prior to that. Of course they aren't on the world list. They aren't Barcelona. Hell, they're not even the LA Galaxy. Just pointing out that at least someone in MLS is trying to build momentum in the US. That's a good thing.

MLS will never be a big soccer league until plays the same schedule as everyone else and still needs massive revenue and salary increases. Median salary in MLS is a little under $300,000. Premier League median is $3,100,000.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Yep, it was straight out the script. TOO straight out of it. You don't create momentum by paying through the nose for a player as old as he is either. Now if they had signed him 20 years ago......

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep, it was straight out the script. TOO straight out of it. You don't create momentum by paying through the nose for a player as old as he is either. Now if they had signed him 20 years ago......
They say its not a retirement league. But the keep paying huge salaries to 35-year olds instead of paying competitive salaries to younger players. It’s a retirement league.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
Tottenham is a bigger club than Chelsea. It has a bigger stadium and has a bigger fanbase in London. Chelsea was a small to middle sized club that had the first of the oil rich owners. They got lucky in the extreme.
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will be the first European stadium to have its own NFL team, so there's value in that, too.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
hello-there.gif

You guys were right, it's clear the old timer won't have any impact. Both goals and the assist last night were clearly set ups by the league. They need to quit making it so obvious.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The Messi Effect

WHAT THEY SAID: Mas tweeted: “The Messi Effect is real! Subscribers to #MLSSeasonPass on @AppleTV have more than doubled since Messi joined @InterMiamiCF.

“Also, Spanish language viewership on #MLSSeasonPass on @AppleTV has surpassed over 50% for Messi matches and continues to rise. How exciting for a truly global fan base!”

Besides the off the field impact, he's scored 7 goals in 4 matches, and Inter (who was in last place when he arrived) has shocked the rest of the field with 4 straight victories and an unexpected run to the quarterfinals of the Leagues Cup. They play Charlotte tonight in the quarters.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
In case you guys are missing it, right now Miami is playing in the semis of the Leagues Cup, trying to win their 6th match in a row since Messi arrived, earning a spot in the finals as well as a guaranteed spot in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. He's scored 8 goals in the previous 5 matches. Not that he's making an impact for Miami, who was in last place when he arrived, but just an FYI.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Inter Miami CF owner Jorge Mas said this week in a televised interview that the club could be worth $1.3 billion to $1.5 billion in the next year, which would be more than double the $585 million of Sportico's most recent valuation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login