interesting idea- nil players pay their way

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Leach floated this idea; Either you're a semi-pro employee or you're a student-athlete.

I agree with the sentiment without the expletives.

Nov 20, 2023
Leach floated this idea; Either you're a semi-pro employee or you're a student-athlete.

I agree with the sentiment without the expletives.
It is an interesting idea I’ll say maybe a good one. However if we’re the first ones to do it it will be off putting to a lot of players regardless of their NIL money I’m afraid that’s the downside. What do y’all think?

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
If I remember correctly back in the old days in MS juco didn’t a certain % of players have to come from the juco’s territory? Maybe on something similar, cap the number of paid players at a certain % of the roster and have the rest be traditional “student athletes”. Doesn’t matter if you pay a guy $1 million or $10k they count the same.

Nov 20, 2023
If I remember correctly back in the old days in MS juco didn’t a certain % of players have to come from the juco’s territory? Maybe on something similar, cap the number of paid players at a certain % of the roster and have the rest be traditional “student athletes”. Doesn’t matter if you pay a guy $1 million or $10k they count the same.
I’m not sure about the Juco thing but I think your right as I thought I’ve heard my uncle speak about it or something like it. It would be a good thing to have them pay their way. Just don’t think it would be a good idea at this stage of rebuilding. Maybe in a few years when hopefully we’re a lot more established. Like I said if we were the first to do it it might put some guys off. Which a person could say “screw em then” but honestly we need em. So I don’t know if the time is right. If it would work I’m all for it.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Y'all just can't keep your grubby hands out of players pockets. The school is not paying one red cent of NIL money. You can prevent a student athlete from getting a scholarship just because he or she is"rich". Until every scholarship receiving person is given some sort of wealth test to determine if they could afford to pay for their education before giving them a scholarship, it is ridiculous to even consider.

The answer is to make the collectives illegal. Do not let boosters from any school create a slush fund to pay players where they are not a valid commercial enterprise.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Y’all don’t get this. You can’t “cap” things like that, not anytime soon anyway, until they become employees and they determine revenue sharing, like the NFL.

Agree with @Bulldog Bruce. At least make them pay under the table. But hey, we are allegedly getting some tax money. Collectives are just straight pay for play. I don’t know why they haven’t fixed this yet, or at least made it more difficult for them to entice players strictly by money. Make them have a real business plan or something.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
That’s why I’m saying cap the number being paid per team vs attempting to cap the dollars. For example, Alabama gets to pay 25 and State gets to pay 25.

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
At minimum, if they are getting paid to play and still getting scholarship money they should have to pay Federal and State
taxes on the "value received" for tuition plus room and board.

Blast away at the idea.

not a "new" member, I was not able to bring my old account over.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
At minimum, if they are getting paid to play and still getting scholarship money they should have to pay Federal and State
taxes on the "value received" for tuition plus room and board.

Blast away at the idea.

not a "new" member, I was not able to bring my old account over.
Legally they are NOT getting paid to play. NIL contracts are not supposed to have any language about location or performance. There should not be anything preventing a kid from taking from a collective and go somewhere else. If that ever gets tested the collective should lose.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
And a kid couldn't on scholarship to another juco unless the one whose territory he was in waved his right. I worked with a guy whose kid was in Hinds territory. The coach wouldn't offer him and wouldn't wave his rights so that he could got to one of the two other juco's that were willing to give him a scholarship.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You either fully embrace NIL and treat recruits like mega church pastors, or become irrelevant.

Some think there is a middle ground, but not for a program like ours. Saban and Bama can dictate terms. We cannot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login