Interesting meeting yesterday with FSU AD and Board of Trustees…

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
They are getting antsy at the gap between the ACC and the Big Ten/SEC. I know there is a Grant of Rights through 2036 for ACC teams, but if PAC 12 can’t get a reasonable media rights deal soon, you may see some more realignment sooner rather than later. Could FSU challenge the GOR?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Short answer is no. They’re trapped.
Why are they trapped? As far as I can tell, the only question is does the SEC or Big Ten want Florida State. If the answer is yes, FSU can afford the legal cost of leaving the ACC.

Expansion isn’t done. It may take multiple iterations, but I think a likely end game is the SEC and Big Ten expanding to mega conferences, breaking from the NCAA, and having an NFL-style two conference system. We’d play a few inter-conference games, have our own playoffs, and the champs would meet. It could be super.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why are they trapped? As far as I can tell, the only question is does the SEC or Big Ten want Florida State. If the answer is yes, FSU can afford the legal cost of leaving the ACC.

Expansion isn’t done. It may take multiple iterations, but I think a likely end game is the SEC and Big Ten expanding to mega conferences, breaking from the NCAA, and having an NFL-style two conference system. We’d play a few inter-conference games, have our own playoffs, and the champs would meet. It could be super.
They really are trapped. SEC or Big 10 won’t see a dollar from adding FSU until 2037. It took a lot for the Texas & Oklahoma to get out of their GOR agreement even 1 year before it expires. Only way out for FSU is negotiation. But the rest of the ACC has little incentive to negotiate with them. And ESPN has little incentive to renegotiate its media deal with the ACC.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I saw an article that said Florida State could probably get out of the GOR by negotiating a settlement of $10 million per year for the next 12 years. The difference in SEC and ACC payouts would more than make up for that.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
They really are trapped. SEC or Big 10 won’t see a dollar from adding FSU until 2037. It took a lot for the Texas & Oklahoma to get out of their GOR agreement even 1 year before it expires. Only way out for FSU is negotiation. But the rest of the ACC has little incentive to negotiate with them. And ESPN has little incentive to renegotiate its media deal with the ACC.
I agree. Would be hard to pull off. I read some comments on Twitter (yeah I know doesn’t mean it is accurate). In essence it talked about ACC not doing their part or providing their end of the agreement on the contract. It wasn’t as simple as I am saying but basically it had some legal jargon that the contract had 2 sides, the GOR but then what the ACC should be providing for the FSU Grant of Rights. And I have read (again I don’t know how accurate), if 8 schools vote to disband, then the ACC dissolves, and the GOR’s with it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I saw an article that said Florida State could probably get out of the GOR by negotiating a settlement of $10 million per year for the next 12 years. The difference in SEC and ACC payouts would more than make up for that.
It cost Texas & Oklahoma $50M each to leave the big 12 just 1 year early. The cost to FSU to leave 13 years early would be astronomical.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And I have read (again I don’t know how accurate), if 8 schools vote to disband, then the ACC dissolves, and the GOR’s with it.
I think this is their one slim chance. Don’t know how many votes it would take to dissolve the ACC. But if they could, there’s no ESPN contract & no GOR. But I don’t see there being much motivation from the mid-to-lower tier ACC schools to even begin to consider letting their gravy train go.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Clemson already tried to get out last year. Their attorneys couldn't find a way out. That contract is supposedly air tight.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It cost Texas & Oklahoma $50M each to leave the big 12 just 1 year early. The cost to FSU to leave 13 years early would be astronomical.
They'll make that money up with their first year cut of the tv revenue payout. They're really not paying anything.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I think this is their one slim chance. Don’t know how many votes it would take to dissolve the ACC. But if they could, there’s no ESPN contract & no GOR. But I don’t see there being much motivation from the mid-to-lower tier ACC schools to even begin to consider letting their gravy train go.
Agree. If we were to guess at the 8, it would have to be 8 that have landing spots in the Big 10 or SEC. I’ll leave Notre Dame out of it because I don’t know if they have a vote (by the way part of the FSU argument was Notre Dame kept their media rights and has a separate football deal through NBC, so FSU being held to an agreement that ND is not held to).
FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, VaTech, Miami and 2 of these 3 (GaTech, NC State, Duke).

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. If we were to guess at the 8, it would have to be 8 that have landing spots in the Big 10 or SEC. I’ll leave Notre Dame out of it because I don’t know if they have a vote (by the way part of the FSU argument was Notre Dame kept their media rights and has a separate football deal through NBC, so FSU being held to an agreement that ND is not held to).
FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, VaTech, Miami and 2 of these 3 (GaTech, NC State, Duke).

that would be thrown out of court immediately. If you didn’t want to be bound by a contract Notre Dame isn’t bound by, you should have done what Notre dame did & not sign the contract.

I think Clemson & UNC could be on board to dissolve the conference. The others would be a much harder sell.

Reactions: snoopdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
They'll make that money up with their first year cut of the tv revenue payout. They're really not paying anything.
If it was that easy Texas & Oklahoma would have been in the SEC in 2022 like a lot of people were assuming. And there would have been some movement among the top ACC schools by now. There’s a reason they’re getting zero interest from anyone, either to poach their top teams or to possibly join their league.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If it was that easy Texas & Oklahoma would have been in the SEC in 2022 like a lot of people were assuming. And there would have been some movement among the top ACC schools by now. There’s a reason they’re getting zero interest from anyone, either to poach their top teams or to possibly join their league.
My comment had nothing to do with the ACC. Just the observation that what TX and OK are paying the B12 to leave early is approximately the same amount that their first year revenue cut will be in the SEC. They probably didn't have the same deal available to them for 2022.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My comment had nothing to do with the ACC. Just the observation that what TX and OK are paying the B12 to leave early is approximately the same amount that their first year revenue cut will be in the SEC. They probably didn't have the same deal available to them for 2022.

Ah, I understand now. I agree. 2024 will be close to a wash for them.

Reactions: Dawgg

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
This is one of the comments (copied from a Facebook page) of an attorney from Tallahassee (in no way involved with this as an attorney)

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The ACC and Big 12 contracts are totally different. A lot of observers seem to think that Florida State has a shot to get out 10 years early or more for something in the 100-150 million range.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is one of the comments (copied from a Facebook page) of an attorney from Tallahassee (in no way involved with this as an attorney)

Thats a huge stretch to claim Florida St was in an unfair bargaining position. If anything, they were in the strongest bargaining position of anyone because they had other options when they signed the deal. Including going it alone for a few years while they worked on getting the best deal from the SEC or Big 10. I hope she’s not representing me for any contractual lawsuit I may ever be involved in.
Even if she is right, it would take 5 years minimum to litigate it. During which time you’d be in limbo with no SEC/Big 10 money & no ACC money.

Last edited:

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
Thats a huge stretch to claim Florida St was in an unfair bargaining position. If anything, they were in the strongest bargaining position of anyone because they had other options when they signed the deal. Including going it alone for a few years while they worked on getting the best deal from the SEC or Big 10. I hope she’s not representing me for any contractual lawsuit I may ever be involved in.
I think the NIL part (and the mention of “Brand”) is part of her argument as well. As we all know, players signed scholarships to play in the NCAA (a contract) and were to abide by the NCAA guideline that a student/athlete could not profit from their own Name, Image or Likeness. That was ruled against in a court of law. Now they can profit. This may just be posturing for a higher revenue share, to make the ACC think about if the GOR is really as ironclad as they think, thus a tactic to maybe work a negotiation out where FSU can leave for a price (with their media rights) which seems highly unlikely, as you have said.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I know there are alliances between certain schools in voting that keeps certain teams out but once Texas and OU are in, they may not have the votes to keep FSU out.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I wish we could snag 3 teams from NC & VA and drop MO. Don't need FL State, we already got Flarda and Flarda would be pissed if FL State came aboard. But when you look at the Sunshine State overall, there's room for 2 in that market.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wish we could snag 3 teams from NC & VA and drop MO. Don't need FL State, we already got Flarda and Flarda would be pissed if FL State came aboard. But when you look at the Sunshine State overall, there's room for 2 in that market.
16 is already way too many for me. If I had my way, we'd go back to the 12 we had and there would be 6 major conferences. But those days are gone. Going forward from here, and assuming the ACC grant of rights could be gotten out of, I'd take UNC, FSU and Clemson and drop Missouri.

on 2nd thought, keep Missouri. Don’t want to set the precedent of dropping schools. Add one of the Virginia schools instead to get to 20.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It ultimately means votes from 8 schools that would have a guaranteed future home in the SEC / Big 10 before the voting commenced. I could see that for FSU, Miami, Clemson, UVA / Va Tech, UNC / Duke, and maybe Boston College. Not sure who else would make the juice worth the squeeze enough to get a guaranteed invite, and I’m not sure even all those would make sense.

It’s also interesting because it may actually require some collaboration between the SEC / B1G. For instance, I can’t see either conference taking both Virginia and Virginia Tech. But they would likely both need an assurance before voting to dissolve. Same with the NC schools. So there might actually have to be some posturing and horse trading going on between the SEC and the B1G to make it work, if its decided that an ACC dissolution is a good thing for both of the current power conferences.

Reactions: snoopdog and patdog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
16 is already way too many for me. If I had my way, we'd go back to the 12 we had and there would be 6 major conferences. But those days are gone. Going forward from here, and assuming the ACC grant of rights could be gotten out of, I'd take UNC, FSU and Clemson and drop Missouri.

on 2nd thought, keep Missouri. Don’t want to set the precedent of dropping schools. Add one of the Virginia schools instead to get to 20.
I wonder if the SEC schools that were here prior to AR and SC being added are considered "Charter SEC Member Schools" and those who came later don't share that same status whatever the hell that means. Adding one each from NC or VA would be ideal IMO. It seems expansion's priorities are getting into a state you're not currently in so I think Clemson would not get an invite.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I hope State and OM vote in a way that says “we don’t care about your rivalry” every time UF or the such whine about not wanting their rival in the SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wonder if the SEC schools that were here prior to AR and SC being added are considered "Charter SEC Member Schools" and those who came later don't share that same status whatever the hell that means. Adding one each from NC or VA would be ideal IMO. It seems expansion's priorities are getting into a state you're not currently in so I think Clemson would not get an invite.
There's no distinction between a charter member and a member who joined recently. That was a persistent message board fabrication that never had any basis in fact.

Sep 15, 2009
I agree. Would be hard to pull off. I read some comments on Twitter (yeah I know doesn’t mean it is accurate). In essence it talked about ACC not doing their part or providing their end of the agreement on the contract. It wasn’t as simple as I am saying but basically it had some legal jargon that the contract had 2 sides, the GOR but then what the ACC should be providing for the FSU Grant of Rights. And I have read (again I don’t know how accurate), if 8 schools vote to disband, then the ACC dissolves, and the GOR’s with it.
After reading that, I think you might actually be Snoop Dog.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Real question for me is: "Why would ESPN want to start paying four times the price for the same inventory of Florida State home games?"

Right now, as part of the ESPN ACC contract, ESPN ultimately pays Florida State about $15-$20 million a year for the rights to all of their home football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, softball, and soccer games. Why would they pony up another $50-$70 million a year for those same rights under an SEC contract?

Same question could said for Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, or any other ACC school that currently being considered a 'net add' for SEC membership. OU and Texas were different because the Big 12 had multiple media partners, so getting more Texas and OU games on the ABC/ESPN family of networks brought some tangible value to the table. Since ESPN owns all of the rights to the ACC for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure they're going to be as willing to let them out of their grant of rights for some lowball $10 Million a year number.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Real question for me is: "Why would ESPN want to start paying four times the price for the same inventory of Florida State home games?"

Right now, as part of the ESPN ACC contract, ESPN ultimately pays Florida State about $15-$20 million a year for the rights to all of their home football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, softball, and soccer games. Why would they pony up another $50-$70 million a year for those same rights under an SEC contract?

Same question could said for Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, or anybody else that currently being considered a 'net add' for SEC membership. OU and Texas were different because the Big 12 had multiple media partners, so getting more Texas and OU games on the ABC/ESPN family of networks brought some tangible value to the table. Since ESPN owns all of the rights to the ACC for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure they're going to be as willing to let them out of their grant of rights for some lowball $10 Million a year number.
I think what's going to happen is the ACC is going to wind up going to an unequal distribution model, with FSU getting somewhere between the 7% they're getting now and the 15% they want. Then in about 8 years, you're going to start seeing some movement with the top ACC schools. I think FSU and Clemson will wind up in the SEC. The Big 10 and SEC will fight over UNC and either UVA or VA Tech.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008

Same question could said for Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, or anybody else that currently being considered a 'net add' for SEC membership. OU and Texas were different because the Big 12 had multiple media partners, so getting more Texas and OU games on the ABC/ESPN family of networks brought some tangible value to the table. Since ESPN owns all of the rights to the ACC for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure they're going to be as willing to let them out of their grant of rights for some lowball $10 Million a year number.
I think ESPN would like to protect the brands that they have in FSU, Clemson, etc and not allow them to defect to Big 10 and Fox. With that said, I agree with you. They have a sweet contract for now with the ACC. But when the time comes, it would be in ESPN’s interest to ensure they keep those brands, whether it be through ACC or SEC. I still think that it is a few years away. BUT, if FSU clears the hurdle of the GOR, 100% ESPN would have to pay to protect those brands, or they would 100% go to Big 10 and be under the Fox umbrella.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Here's the way I see an ACC dissolution vote happening:

Definite Power 5 landing spots are yes votes:
Clemson
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina

Probably ends up in the American are no votes:
Boston College
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Louisville

No definitive post-ACC destination (could get picked up, but no guarantees) are the swing votes:
Duke
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Pitt
Virginia

I'm not sure on the voting status of Notre Dame, but if they get a full vote, then I think that vote is a 'no' because no other power conference is going to give them the sweetheart deal that the ACC gave them for their non-revenue sports and allowing Notre Dame to take conference bowl spots.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think what's going to happen is the ACC is going to wind up going to an unequal distribution model, with FSU getting somewhere between the 7% they're getting now and the 15% they want. Then in about 8 years, you're going to start seeing some movement with the top ACC schools. I think FSU and Clemson will wind up in the SEC. The Big 10 and SEC will fight over UNC and either UVA or VA Tech.
Ah, the ol' "appease Texas" strategy that kept the Big 12 alive back in 2012. To be fair, it kept them in the conference for another decade, but it was a pretty clear sign that the Big 12 didn't have the stability of the other power conferences (and why).

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
Here's the way I see an ACC dissolution vote happening:

Definite Power 5 landing spots are yes votes:
Clemson
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina

Probably ends up in the American are no votes:
Boston College
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Louisville

No definitive post-ACC destination (could get picked up, but no guarantees) are the swing votes:
Duke
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Pitt
Virginia

I'm not sure on the voting status of Notre Dame, but if they get a full vote, then I think that vote is a 'no' because no other power conference is going to give them the sweetheart deal that the ACC gave them for their non-revenue sports and allowing Notre Dame to take conference bowl spots.
I think you are spot on. IF UNC ties their movement with Duke. That would be 5. I believe UVA would be coveted by Power 2. That’s 6. Depending on whether UNC/UVA goes to BIg 10 or SEC, NC State and VaTech would be other SEC option to get into those States. Not sure on Pitt, Syracuse or Boston College having Big 10’s interest. Probably not. Schools would need guarantees BEFORE voting. That may be hard because Big 10/SEC wouldn’t want legal problems. Now 10 years from now, could happen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you are spot on. IF UNC ties their movement with Duke. That would be 5. I believe UVA would be coveted by Power 2. That’s 6. Depending on whether UNC/UVA goes to BIg 10 or SEC, NC State and VaTech would be other SEC option to get into those States. Not sure on Pitt, Syracuse or Boston College having Big 10’s interest. Probably not. Schools would need guarantees BEFORE voting. That may be hard because Big 10/SEC wouldn’t want legal problems. Now 10 years from now, could happen.
I think UNC is going to have to look out for UNC. The days of tying themselves to Duke will be long over when the time comes to consider a Big 2 invite. It's not going to be so much "getting into a state" as it will be national prominence that's going to determine which schools the Big 10 or SEC take. So schools like NC State & VA Tech will likely be left out.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I think UNC is going to have to look out for UNC. The days of tying themselves to Duke will be long over when the time comes to consider a Big 2 invite. It's not going to be so much "getting into a state" as it will be national prominence that's going to determine which schools the Big 10 or SEC take. So schools like NC State & VA Tech will likely be left out.
If so, then the only brands I could see meaning anything to SEC are Clemson, FSU, UNC. The fourth, in my opinion, would be one of Miami, Duke or UVA. And truth is Clemson and FSU are the only natural fits.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If so, then the only brands I could see meaning anything to SEC are Clemson, FSU, UNC. The fourth, in my opinion, would be one of Miami, Duke or UVA. And truth is Clemson and FSU are the only natural fits.
My guess is the SEC takes FSU and Clemson. It will try to take UNC and UVA, but they'll choose the Big 10. The remaining ACC schools will be left in the ACC.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Truth be told, the more I think about, the less I think Syracuse would make the cut for the Big Ten. It's not an AAU school and they already have Rutgers in New York/New Jersey. I would go ahead and move them to the 'no' column.

I gave Pitt the benefit of the 'maybe' column since they're an AAU school (along with Duke). I probably should have done the same for Georgia Tech. 10 years ago, AAU membership was a big deal for conference expansion (one of the reasons Mizzou got into the SEC over West Virginia), but I don't know if it still is. These are the current AAU schools in the ACC:
Pitt
UNC
Virginia
Duke
Georgia Tech

ETA: Pitt may be out just on proximity. It's so close to the Penn State, Maryland, and Ohio State campuses that they may just not bring enough value for consideration.

Last edited:

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I don’t think Clemson and FSU believe they can wait until 2036 before making a decision. Maybe unequal revenue sharing will help (but I figure there will be several opposed to this). There is a Podcast every Wednesday by the New York Post with their Senior Sports Media Writer Andrew Marchand and Sport Business Journal’s John Ourand. If you are interested in Sports Media (and they cover these media rights for everything, including college football) this is a great podcast to bookmark.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login