Interesting NFL situation developing..

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If the Jags beat the Colts (up 10) and Baltimore beats Pitt (tied), both the Raiders & Chargers can make the playoffs if that game ends in a tie.

Tonight’s Sunday night football game might be 70 minutes of kneel downs.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve been wishing all week this scenario would happen just to see what happens tonight in that game.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
There is no mystery to it. No two teams can intentionally play for a tie. That would be totally unethical to the sport and the league.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Florio said that if they tried to play for a tie Goodell would get involved and I think he’s right.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
What are you suppose to say? How do you talk them out of essentially taking a week 18 bye in favor of a playoff appearance.

Pretty sure both teams are traveling next week if they make the playoffs. So, it’s not like there is a home field incentive.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
They could play a “legit” game and still work it out where it could easily end in a tie game.

I think it would be incredibly hard to pull that off (intentionally playing to a tie) and fool everybody. And don't you know the team that gets knocked out because of that would be raising some hell. As I said before, it would just be unethical and against the spirit of competition and professionalism to do that. If it ends in a tie legitimately, then fine.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
If the Jags beat the Colts (up 10) and Baltimore beats Pitt (tied), both the Raiders & Chargers can make the playoffs if that game ends in a tie.

Tonight’s Sunday night football game might be 70 minutes of kneel downs.
After looking over scenarios, I’m not sure they have to tie to both get in since the Jags are beating the Colts
??

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Now it is Jags 23 Colts 3 going into the 4th quarter. Just goes to show there are no easy outs in the NFL. Colts had been playing some really good football up until today.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
He won’t say anything. If they intentionally tie he will block both teams from the playoffs which is in his authority.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
If Baltimore wins the raiders are in. I doubt throw I’ll care of the chargers make it or not

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think the chargers/raiders
winner and tiebreaker winner between that loser and colts

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's always a good day when the fudge Packers lose... but Detroit? Thankful that the Vikings put down one more reason to fire Matt Nagy. Glad too see the Titans win and Jacksonville and Trevor beat the Colts he deserved a good day.

The late window should be a good one.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Never was a Steelers fan but I like Ben all the way back to his college days. Glad he is going to the playoffs on his way out.

It's crazy when you think about the fact that they make the schedule months in advance and we have these matchups the last day of the season

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
So now both are in with a tie but the Steelers would be out. If someone wins they and the Steelers are in but the loser is out.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Steelers will be the 7 seed, which means they get Kansas City who just destroyed them 2 weeks ago.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
If you can decide not to play starters to save them for the next round, then you should be able to play for a tie. It’s the same issue. Intentionally not competing at your best for a larger, more important goal in mind.

If during the last possession it is a 7 point game and some guy “misses” a tackle on the edge and the safety is a little late in getting an angle and the runner scores, how is Goodell going to complain?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The teams aren’t intentionally going to play for a tie. That would be ridiculous. But if the game does happen to go to overtime, I bet both coaches will be conservative with their play calling knowing a tie gets them in.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The teams aren’t intentionally going to play for a tie. That would be ridiculous. But if the game does happen to go to overtime, I bet both coaches will be conservative with their play calling knowing a tie gets them in.

I’m not sure it’s as ridiculous as you think. Pretty sure it happens fairly regularly in soccer when teams get a mutual benefit from it. World Cup when going from group play to the knockout round, for instance.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Prisoner's dilemma. You can "agree" to play for the tie, but because you can't know for sure that the other team won't play to win, you are incentivized to play to win. The other team can't trust you either, so both teams play for the win.
ETA:

Last edited:

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe the league should think about a way to eliminate the possibility of ties in the regular season. I mean, obviously they do for the playoffs, so why couldn't they do the same for the regular season. Not like it is something that will happen a lot and wear the players out.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
If they tie, they both get in.

You sure about that? I thought New England and Pittsburgh had already clinched two of the wild card slots, which would mean the third will be either LAC or LV.

Eta- The OP said Baltimore had to win for that scenario to play out, and that didn't happen.

Eta again- You are right, a tie puts them both in.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login