Interesting read in light of some of the earlier Pulitzer thread

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Eh.

Typical editorial by a Pro-Elected Power group.

And ironically they’re criticizing the state GOP for being incompetent at the same time. From the editorial:

“If anything, Bryant’s document dump is Exhibit 1 of why Mississippi taxpayers should not fund welfare programs that, like any good government program, are so large and expansive that no agency can competently oversee them.”

Might be a great idea to go ahead and lock this one as well, just saying. You do not have to be the Devil to know this is heading somewhere bad and fast.

Yep.

Lock it up, y’all.

Reactions: FQDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think ole Phil was just trying to helpful to his pals, and ended up deeper in it than he should have been. When he found out about what was happening, he wisely got out of there and that's why he hasn't been targeted for any real criminal charges. So it makes him look a little bit like a rat, and rats are rats for a reason - they were involved. If they weren't, they'd just be a whistleblower.

But at the end of the day, the libs are just gonna have to live with Phil having a tarnished rep, because he isn't going to jail. Any lawsuit will just be frivolous and thrown out.

Do your thang, DCD.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Eh.

Typical editorial by a Pro-Elected Power group.

And ironically they’re criticizing the state GOP for being incompetent at the same time. From the editorial:

“If anything, Bryant’s document dump is Exhibit 1 of why Mississippi taxpayers should not fund welfare programs that, like any good government program, are so large and expansive that no agency can competently oversee them.”

Yep.

Lock it up, y’all.
Not getting into the nuts and bolts. I really do not care about Mississippi Today or Phil Bryant to any large degree. Just saying, as you obviously know, this will become the typical golfer versus the conservatives in a heart beat.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not getting into the nuts and bolts. I really do not care about Mississippi Today or Phil Bryant to any large degree. Just saying, as you obviously know, this will become the typical golfer versus the conservatives in a heart beat.
I don’t care about folks who do their jobs — I begin to care when there’s evidence of corruption— at least more so than normal.

And despite what we think about the people involved, I think we can agree that there is more than normal corruption here.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
1. I can't think of any, even remotely objective news organization
2. Feel billy isn't going to jail
3. Politicians from across the isle have each other back more than they want us to believe
4. Feel, did you learn nothing from the Right Reverend Freezus? Burner phone!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
3. Politicians from across the isle have each other back more than they want us to believe
Keep Your Distance Reaction GIF by William Garratt

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
4. Feel, did you learn nothing from the Right Reverend Freezus? Burner phone!!!
If Mississippi Today had Rose Bowl on its staff & I were a Mississippi Public Official, I’d be very worried.

Rose Bowl & Anna Wolfe are two of the top three investigative reporters in the state.

(Jerry Mitchell is the third one if you’re wondering…)

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I continue to not get some folks obsession with seeing threads locked. Like can you not take seeing any sort of conflicting opinions? Super easy now to simply not read, and it no longer clutters up the board since they took beloved threaded view from us.

I get it when it devolves into "You're a ********** - no you're a ************" territory but these lately have been very civil.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I continue to not get some folks obsession with seeing threads locked. Like can you not take seeing any sort of conflicting opinions? Super easy now to simply not read, and it no longer clutters up the board since they took beloved threaded view from us.

I get it when it devolves into "You're a ********** - no you're a ************" territory but these lately have been very civil.
I agree, I thought this was an interesting article because it was basically saying the exact opposite of the MS Today story that went on what I thought was fairly civilly for several pages. Not sure why some people wanted this one locked after the first post.

Dorn, it seems like you and I have nearly the polar opposite views on anything political, but I appreciate your posts and would never suggest your opinion shouldn't be heard. That's one of the major problems in the country today, the opposite of civil discourse and just damn immature. I actually think you are a funny guy. Or girl, whichever you choose**

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree, I thought this was an interesting article because it was basically saying the exact opposite of the MS Today story that went on what I thought was fairly civilly for several pages. Not sure why some people wanted this one locked after the first post.

Dorn, it seems like you and I have nearly the polar opposite views on anything political, but I appreciate your posts and would never suggest your opinion shouldn't be heard. That's one of the major problems in the country today, the opposite of civil discourse and just damn immature. I actually think you are a funny guy. Or girl, whichever you choose**
Very nice of you to say. Like I'm always telling folks, if you can't say something nice, just say if about @Drebin ***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's not really saying the opposite with respect to the facts. MS Today just made some conclusions that were not inconsistent with the facts but also not proven by the facts. The texts messages from Phil that they viewed as "smoking guns" were just non-committal fluff. They are phrases that people involved in politics would recognize as empty phrases designed to make donors/constituents feel like the politician is on their side without actually promising anything. It's possible Phil then went on to direct illegal actions. It's possible that Phil told an underling to go see what they can do for so and so without any specifics. It's possible Phil sent it on to an underling and told them to be aware that he had told the donor/constituent that he would do what he can, but it's not a high priority.

Anna Wolfe did good to get facts out into the open. They sensationalized it and tried their best to assert Bryant's guilt, but expecting them to do straight news is just not realistic. They probably can't afford to do straight news and the people that pay the bills don't want them to do straight news.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
The most biased conservative news organization in the state. I have to laugh at the lengths they go to to portray Republicans who tow the party line as saints and heroes.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The most biased conservative news organization in the state.
That's why I said what they were saying was basically the 'opposite' of Mississippi Today, the most biased leftist news organization in the state, which tows the Democrat party line better than anyone. I don't think anyone can refute either statement.

Reactions: patdog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That there's no smoking gun in the selectively-released files is certainly a take. The only take I take from that is that Phil's lawyers are not incompetent. Nothing more.

Block grants of federal spending programs is generally not favored by Democrats (emphasis on generally on that one), and heavily not favored by progressives. This scandal is one of the reasons why, most of the reasons relating to that they do a poor job of getting money/resources to those in need. To take a scandal regarding block grants and spin that against spending programs and liberals is indeed a take.

Reactions: FQDawg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The thing that galls me about this whole, sordid tale is that Brett 17n Favre, instead of just forking over the funds for the 17n volleyball $hi+ for his 17n daughter, decided to just cheap@$$ his way out by dragging political types and, therefore, state and federal taxpayers to the table to fund his “generosity.” Sonuvabitch wanted full credit with zero outlay. 17 his rich @$$.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The thing that galls me about this whole, sordid tale is that Brett 17n Favre, instead of just forking over the funds for the 17n volleyball $hi+ for his 17n daughter, decided to just cheap@$$ his way out by dragging political types and, therefore, state and federal taxpayers to the table to fund his “generosity.” Sonuvabitch wanted full credit with zero outlay. 17 his rich @$$.
Makes me wonder how much money he has right now. How much money has he flushed down the toilet chasing things like investments in the concussion cream company or whatever else. Seems like he's pretty damn desperate for somebody that should be loaded.

Or is he just stingy as hell and collecting a bunch of money just for lending his NIL to the deal and just views doing the same thing for "charity" as "charitable giving".

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think ole Phil was just trying to helpful to his pals, and ended up deeper in it than he should have been. When he found out about what was happening, he wisely got out of there and that's why he hasn't been targeted for any real criminal charges. So it makes him look a little bit like a rat, and rats are rats for a reason - they were involved. If they weren't, they'd just be a whistleblower.

But at the end of the day, the libs are just gonna have to live with Phil having a tarnished rep, because he isn't going to jail. Any lawsuit will just be frivolous and thrown out.

Do your thang, DCD.

Nah. Y’all have fun. Someone else can lock stuff from now on. I’m done.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login